Undercover

G

READ THIS!!: Got you attention didn’t it? Alright, this story is based moderately to heavily on spoilers. If you do not visit Talk CSI regularly and do not want to know what happens in episodes two and three of CSI:NY then DO NOT READ THIS STORY! Hehe I could have fun with that.

Chapter 1
The Victim’s roommate

Danny smiled as his favorite coworker showed up at the crime scene. Work days were always a little brighter when he was working with Montana. He loved flirting with the country girl and watching her blush or, if he was lucky, flirt back. She used to brush him off practically every time he spoke to her and with good reason after the “call Mac ‘sir’” thing; but lately she’d allowed it. Today however, he wanted to do more than flirt. Today was the day he wanted to, needed to tell her.
Lately he’d noticed something stronger than innocent flirting between them. He sensed this real chemistry that he hadn’t felt with anyone else. She had been there for him when Louie was hospitalized and Aiden was killed. When she was stressed out with worry for Stella, he’d been there to calm her down. And when Flack was hospitalized due to the explosion they both were there for each other. He knew that that was what friends are for, but it was more than that. He couldn’t explain it if you asked them but he definitely felt something between them and wanted to know if she felt the same way.
He took a deep breath. “Hey, Montana,” he greeted. Not now you idiot! You have to fill her in on the case first. Mac, Stella and Hawkes had a homicide at Coney Island and Detective Jennifer Angell, who was working with he and Lindsay on this case, had been held up by traffic. So it was Danny’s job as the first one on the scene to fill everyone else in.
“Hey Danny.” She smiled. “It feels kind of weird coming to a crime scene without a body.”
“Yeah well, people do commit other crimes in the city,” he said. “Vic’s Kelly Foley. Her roommate came home from clubbing and found this.” He handed her the first piece of evidence found. It was a typical ransom note saying: “Bring 18 grand to 463 Parker Avenue tomorrow night or she dies.” “Somehow the perp knows the roommates parents are loaded and give their little girl whatever she wants. No signs of forced entry but it looks like it took some work getting her out. Look at the scuff marks.” He pointed to the scuff marks near the threshold. Lindsay knelt down to snap some photos and noticed something else too. A few small drops of blood.
“Looks like he might have hit her,” she said, swabbing it.
“Or she hit him,” Danny hoped. Getting blood from the kidnapper would be much more help than getting blood from the victim.
Lindsay stood up. She noticed a woman standing in the hallway, pale with worry. “The roommate?” she asked.
Danny nodded. “Yeah. Gayle Philips. She practically hasn’t moved since I got here.”
She found it a little strange that no one was talking to her already. She turned to Danny and almost asked where Flack was when the realization hit her like a bad hangover. Flack was in the hospital. In a coma. “Where’s Angell?” she asked instead.
”Running late,” he said. “She called and said for one of us to talk to the roommate.” She nodded, and started to walk in that direction. “Montana,” he called stopping her. She turned around. “I…uhh…” he shoved his hands in his pocket. “I want to talk to you about something after the shift. Wanna meet at Cozy’s tonight at say…7?”
She merely stared at him for a moment as if trying to process what he was saying. They’d met at Cozy’s before but Danny looked like he really had something important on his mind. “Sure,” she said, giving him a small smile. She hoped whatever it was wasn’t bugging him too much. She turned back around and went to talk to the witness.
“Hi,” she said to Gayle. She was one of the few people that didn’t make Lindsay feel like a dwarf when she stood across from her. In fact, they were about the same height. Even Danny, who wasn’t exactly tall, was a good six or seven inches taller than her. Talking to someone she didn’t have to look up at was always nice.
“Gayle Philips,” the girl said. She tried to smile but she couldn’t. “Why would someone do this to Kelly? She got along with everyone.” Tears she couldn’t hold back any longer started to fall. “Why didn’t they just take me? I mean if it’s the money they want, that would make more sense.” Lindsay fought the urge to hug her. She remembered long nights when she’d ask herself that. To be honest, she still didn’t know.
“Have you two been friends for long?” she asked.
“Since we were kids,” Gayle answered. “We grew up in the same suburb outside the city.”
“Do you remember anything that happened then that might have triggered Kelly’s kidnapping?”
“No…I don’t know. I don’t remember. All I really care about right now is getting the money from my parents and giving them what they asked for.”
“That might not be a good idea,” Lindsay said gently.
“What are you talking about? They’ll kill her if I don’t!” She paused for a moment. “You could wire me couldn’t you?” Lindsay paused as if thinking. “It’s not a hard question. Could you wire me?” She was clearly frustrated.
“I’ll have to ask my boss,” Lindsay said. She wasn’t sure how Gayle would act in a situation like that.
“Fine,” Gayle fumed. “Ask your boss. I’ll be on my way to my parents’ house, actually doing something.” With that, she turned on heel, and stormed down the stairs, brushing past Angell.
“Didn’t go so well?” Angell asked as she came up the stairs, giving Lindsay a sympathetic smile.
Lindsay shook her head. “The kidnapper left a ransom note and she’s pretty set of giving him what he wants,” she explained as they walked back to the apartment where Danny was. “She wants me to ask Mac if we can wire her.”
Angell shrugged. “So what’s the problem? Cops do it all the time. It’s a fairly easy way to catch the bad guys.”
“Yeah, but you saw that girl; she’s a wreck. I’m just worried she’ll friend out and do something that could hurt her…or Kelly.”
Angell nodded, thinking. She looked Lindsay up and down before finally saying “Hey Linds…you’re about the same size as the roommate aren’t you?”
Danny’s head jerked up from his fingerprinting, hoping that that was just a random comment. “Where are you going with this, Angell?” he asked.
“Well, I was just thinking, Lindsay looks enough like her to go undercover,” Angell explained.
“Are you crazy?” he asked, standing up. He himself wasn’t entirely sure why this was such a shock to him but all he could think about was Lindsay being in a risky situation like that and what would happen if the perps found out it wasn’t her.
“What, like you’ve never heard of a cop going undercover,” Angell asked, raising an eyebrow.
“What if she gets caught?” He asked. “It’s a good way to get killed!”
“A lot of things are a good way to get killed; come on Messer you’ve been doing this a lot longer than I have.”
He looked at Lindsay who had been silent the whole time and seemed deep in thought. “You’re not actually thinking about this are you?” he asked.
“I think it’s a good idea,” she said after a pause.
“No, it’s not a good idea,” he snapped. He turned to Angell. “If you want someone to go undercover why don’t you do it?” he asked.
“She’s too tall, Danny,” Lindsay answered for her. “Besides she’s right. The victim and I are about the same height and weight. All I’d need is a wig and maybe some color contacts and I’d look enough like Gayle to pass.” She looked from Danny who was thoroughly pissed for reasons she couldn’t figure out to Angell who was thoroughly pissed at Danny for being thoroughly pissed about the idea. “I’m going to ask Mac.”

Alex’s note: Danny’s reaction is going to have to undergo major MAJOR improvement. They said he’s ‘sposed to be PO and I wasn’t sure how to do it.

I love this!!!

And it's a good way to get Danny PO. His brother was hurt and maybe this is all deja vu for him. And also, he doesn't want Lindsay to get hurt also.

Can't wait to read more!!!

Good story so far, it'll be interesting to see how close it comes to the actual story hehe. More, please?

ok.its only fair if your addicted to my story that i be addicted to yours ;)..this story rocks..and i cant wait for more..wow wow..wow
love
allie

Miss_Undercover said:

And the title is so meaningful !!

Really? I don't think I even meant for it to be. I just called it that because she's going undercover.*shrugs and nervous laugh that people are finding meaningfulness in her title*

Alex’s note: Alright people have been threatening to whip me if I don’t update soon so this story is currently holding priority over ANY OTHER STORY. You better thank me. And thank me A LOT because I have five stories going on right now.

Chapter 2

Danny followed Lindsay into Mac’s office hoping to at least talk some sense into his boss. He was ready to protest before Lindsay made the suggestion. “Mac, you can’t let her do this. Come on, am I the only one with my head on straight here?”
“What are you talking about?” Mac asked confused. Before Danny could say anything, Lindsay explained the situation to the supervisor. He sat thinking, then turned to Danny. “What were you trying to say Danny?” he asked.
“I was trying to say with all due respect, Mac, you’re crazy if you’re gonna let her do this.” Mac raised an eyebrow. “She doesn’t even look like the roommate.”
“Angell and I think I do,” she argued.
”Angell’s a bitch.”
“Watch it Danny,” Mac warned. “I need you to leave my office while Lindsay and I talk about this.” Danny looked from Mac to Lindsay, then left. He had too much respect for Mac to defy him.
Damn Angell. He hated her. He hadn’t minded her so much until she came up with this whole undercover thing. Flack wouldn’t come up with shit like that. He would understand.
Understand what? His reason asked. You don’t even know why you’re so upset. He knew part of it was his feelings for her, but what Angell said was right. In any crime fighting job, especially in New York City, there was always a chance of getting killed. But going undercover…that was really risky. And if something happened to her…
Lindsay shut the door to Mac’s office. “He said it was okay,” she said. Danny shook his head and opened his mouth to speak but she stopped him. “It’s a good way to catch Kelly’s kidnapper and I want to do it. Why are you getting so upset about this?” He didn’t answer. “You don’t think I can handle it, do you?”
“I didn’t say that.”
“Think about it Danny. If it was you, would you do it?”
“…That’s different.”
“Why, because you’re from New York and that makes you tough?” She was angry now. “But the job’s too big for a little Montana girl, right? Well guess what? I’m just as tough as you, Messer.” She hadn’t called him Messer in a long time and there was something cold about the way she said it. “And I’m going to do this whether you like it or not.” She turned her back to him and walked angrily to her office.
“Montana!” he called after her. Smooth, calling her that after what she just said. “Lindsay! Lindsay!”
---
He dropped his kit by the door as he entered his apartment and numbly took a seat on the couch. The phone rang, but he didn’t feel like answering it. Instead he switched on the tv and let the recording play: “Hey, it’s Danny. I’m not here so leave a message and I’ll get back to you.”
“Danny, it’s Lindsay,” her voice replied. “I know you’re home, so I guess you just decided to screen my calls. I think we should make a raincheck for Cozy’s. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to go out together after what’s happened at work today. Bye.”
He switched off the tv and banged his head against the back of the couch. He blew it. After all the time it took to get the courage to ask her out, he fucking blew it. He wondered if everyone at work was right. He had overreacted a bit. He thought about calling her back to apologize, but never did. She wouldn’t accept an apology right now and he was too prideful to give one.

Alex’s note: Sorry the ending’s a bit sucky. I wasn’t sure how to end it. Next chapter will be a cliffhanger…I couldn’t help myself. OH! And I have a new website. Check it out! Z6.invisionfree.com/WritersWorkshop

Dedicated to: This chapter’s dedicated to Moriel, who helped me with this idea. And don’t worry I’ll probably dedicate at least one chapter to everyone so you’ll get a chance.

Back