To Ship or Not to Ship

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Aug 20, 2006.

1. lament

lament Captain

Okay, a couple of seemingly simple questions: Why do you ship? And how do you view shipping? A lot of people pull for one couple, and their fondest hope and dream is to see that couple become canon. Others multi-ship and would be fine to see any of them become canon. Others like ship in fanfic but don't want to see romance on the show. Where do you fall?

2. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

I love my ships, but it's not life or death. I think romance in CSI could work if done correctly, but my worst fear is that they wouldn't do the ship justice. I think some people take it a little seriously sometimes. I never originally intented to shiip but I was just drawn to my pairings, then when I found sites on line the idea of 'shipping' was running rampant. I wanted to try and stay out of it but my love of certain characters got to me and now I just go with the flow. Plus, it gives me something to write about when I attempt fan fics.

3. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

Good poll.
    It's hard to answer this, but I can be clear about it.
    There are some ships which roots lay very far in the show, that it would be essential that the writers should put them together. For me, these are Grissom/Sara, Catherine/Warrick, Horatio/Yelina and Danny/Lindsay. I feel very highly about that. But there are also some ships that I really love, but that I could accept it if they would never be persued. Some of these are Sara/Greg, Calleigh/Speedle, Nick/Sofia, Horatio/Suzie. I do charise these a lot though.

I must say that a ship being canon is not that big as it might look. Don't get me wrong; I was so hyped about Grissom and Sara getting together, and I still am. But now I feel dissapointed that Sara might never have a chance with Greg. It's like I am never satisfied, and I think a lot of other people will never be as well.

4. lament

lament Captain

I need to think more about my own question before I answer properly :lol:, but I agree with this statement. There are a couple of ships that I love and I think would work in canon--Horatio/Yelina, for example. But part of the fun of ship for me is the pursuit of said ship. In other words, if H/Y became canon, would I feel a sense of loss that I no longer get to see the longing and tension? I'm not sure.

5. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I like the idea of this poll. I'm a multishipper, but I don't believe one of my ships ever will come true. I hope so, though. :) It's not my life, or something. I actually like to phantasize about them. :) the most unpossible ships are the best.

6. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

voted no.1. why? because my favorite ship actually IS canon :D :D and i'm more than happy about it! weee

7. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

P.S. I hate the word 'canon' *shivers*

8. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Ship is fun, I love writig and reading fiction but I don't want to see all of it on screen. Mostly because I do like more than one ship and portraiting one would mean relegating the others.
    I absolutely don't like the way the show is heading right now, and I'm not saying this just because I don't like Sara and Grissom together, I think it destroys the dynamic of the show. Every ship on CSI has its moments, it's the little things that make the whole concept of shipping so entertaining. Having one on-screen pairing is taking a lot of possibilities for the others.
    But, lucky for all the non GSR shippers you can easily create and AU where the word canon just doesn't exist ;)

9. Smiliee

Smiliee Coroner

I have a few ships that I absolutely adore and would be so happy if they did become canon. But I think the fun of shipping is that we can write fanfic and deccide how we want them to get together. And I think it would ruin the point of the show if we had a bunch of ships become canon at once. And besides no one would be satisfied with the writers choice of ships to become canon and I think that would lead to a more soapy storyline, and I know a lot of people hate soapy storylines. I know I do.

10. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I picked number one but I'd be happy if even one of my ships (CatNip,Smacked,YoBling) that's currently not canon became canon. I do see the point though that smilee made about the ships being more fun in our heads and fanfic. Re the soap opera part, I wonder why Miami seems to be doing that already...

11. AmandaSzmanda

AmandaSzmanda CSI Level Two

I multiship so much that it is dangerous. I had about seventy two ships last time I counted. I've added more, alot more, since then. I wouldn't mind if any of my many ships become canon, there are ones I'd perfer to come to be more then others, but I don't care if they do or not (Except for CatNip, that one I need canon for), because I'll still always have my fics to make them canon.

12. GreatTyrant

GreatTyrant Dead on Arrival

I agree, Amanda...

Besides, "canon" is really at the whim of TPTB...What's "canon" today could be killed off in an instant if TPTB decide its not what they want anymore...Heck, it happens ALL the time...Which is why I'm glad I don't ship GSR, cuz right now I'd be REALLY on edge...

Having been burnt badly years & years ago with the shipping disaster I like to refer to as the "Moonlighting Valdez"...Frankly, I don't trust TPTB to do my ships (or any ship, actually) justice...I prefer my ships to exist only in fanfics, that way they're ALWAYS "canon" for me...And I can have em just like I want em...

13. inge

inge CSI Level Two

for me shipping is fun. I ship H/Y and I'm a multi ryan wolfe shipper.
    It's funny to analyze the scenes and to think about the possibilites.
    the only ship I would accept on TV would be H/Y.
    but I fear that the writers would ruin it.
    and as lament already wrote (and I wrote about it in the H/Y thread a long time ago), a ship is more interesting when the characters are not together.
    you can speculate about the exchanged smiles, the worried looks and such stuff.

14. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I'm a huge Lindsay Multi-shipper... but really I'm a true D/L shipper... so I just want my D/L to go canon... :lol:

15. Lost2MuchSpeed

Lost2MuchSpeed Pathologist

i love my ships, but i'm a total slash whore, so i voted for number 3!
    Fanfiction would ultimately do them more justice