Time Change This Weekend for North America

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dynamo1, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

This Saturday night / Sunday morning, groggy Americans will turn their clocks back one hour, marking the end of Daylight Saving Time (DST).

Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa are the only places in the U.S. that do not observe DST but instead stay on "standard time" all year long. And if you've spent any time in the sweltering summer sun in those regions you can understand why residents don't need another hour of sunlight.

Confused yet?

Most of Canada uses Daylight Saving Time. Some exceptions include the majority of Saskatchewan and parts of northeastern British Columbia. In the fall of 2005, Manitoba and Ontario announced that like the United States, they would extend daylight time starting in 2007.

All three Mexican time zones are on the same schedule as the United States.

Source: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  2. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Re: Time Change This Weekend (Nov 4, 2007)

I'm soooooooooo lost. What were we doing before?

3. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

We changed it last saturday. I don't like it because now it's dark after 6 pm and I'm used to the old time. I have to wake up for work at 7, but now I wake up everyday at 6 because my body is used to it.

4. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^Erm, we changed it on Sunday... :lol:
    I don't like this change of hour thing but it's nice having 1 hour more to sleep...

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

If you're referring to the time change we used to do it the last Saturday/Sunday in October. I'm glad that Ontario is keeping in line with the US because it would be a nightmare if they decided to stay on the schedule that had been going on for years. I remember the US energy crisis back in the 70's when the US didn't change the times for a year. Boy were things a mess back then. It would have made sense if Bush had decided to co-ordinate the time changes with Europe but when did Bush do something that made sense.

It's been a while since I've worked a Monday after the time change but I'm doing it next Monday. I hope the traffic lights are working properly. I used to find that even as short a time as 10 years ago the lights were never in sink with the time change on the first Monday. It's bad enough our sleep is messed up but to add more traffic mess than usual :mad:

6. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I think this shows the age of some of our electronic equipment but - In this house you could have sworn that it was last weekend since I had to chage back 2 computers and I'm still staring at a VCR that is an hour off! :lol:(I don't feel like digging out the instructions to the VCR :rolleyes:) Thank god that everything else we have to change by hand.

Susan

7. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

For me it's not sunday until you wake up, and since tha change came when I was still up, it was on saturday :lol:

8. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I didn't change mine until Monday morning on my phone. I'd rather gain the extra hour on a Monday morning as opposed to a Sunday morning :lol: I lived an hour behind everyone else on a Sunday. I've done it every year for the last 5 years :p infact I think my beside table clock is still wrong. :lol:

So for this week only the UK is 6 to 9 hours ahead of the US instead of the normal 5 - 8hrs yeah? :cool:

9. caramel

caramel Victim

In Europe we changed time last weekend and I nearly missed it :) I'm glad my computer changed automatically or I would have been one hour too early all sunday.

10. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

LOL same here, it was a pleasant surprise, cause it was 3 already and suddenly the computer said it was 2, so I could go to bed early after all.

Funny the time change isn't simultanious around the world, never knew it was on different days...

11. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

We change on the 4th, here in Canada.

12. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Thank you for that. I understand now :p

13. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I was so confused this weekend because the time change didn't happen but I thought it did.

14. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

So who did came to work or school one hour to early? :lol:

15. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

I didn't come to school an our early. But I woke up this morning (I forgot to change the clock in my room) and I though it was 8:30 and started freaking out :lol:. I was throwing things around and screaming about clothes, then my roommate was like "what are you doing? It's 7:30 in the morning, you have over an hour to get ready" then I was like "what, no I don't, I have class in 20 minutes" then she pointed out that we changed all the clocks :lol:. Blondee moment :lol: