Things You Don't Want to See in S4

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by La_Guera, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Kat1974

Kat1974 Victim

Hi!
    Been lurking here a while since I realised that CSI:NY has me well and truly hooked and I had to seek out fellow addicts!
    I agree with the comment above about plastic, model-like people. I love the show but one gripe I've always had (with all 3 CSI's in fact) is the 'No Ugly Females' policy. In fact, the one positive thing I can find to say about Lindsay is that at least she's not yet another 'stunner'. I realise she provokes some pretty strong reactions in people re. the personality flaws issue (which I'd agree with) but I've also seen her referred to as 'plain' elsewhere on this board, as part of negative comments on the character. Personally I'm glad TPTB didn't cast some leggy, botoxed, anorexic bimbo to replace Aiden. Watching CSI is enough to give you Body Dismorphic Disorder sometimes! Maybe it's because I live in the UK - our TV crimefighters are a little rougher round the edges, lol. So anyway, that's my main wish for what not to see in S4 - more unfeasibly attractive criminals and crimefighters.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The problems with Lindsay are two-fold: the inconsistency and half-ass writing for the character, and the sub-par acting from Anna. So yes, the writers create the scenes, but it's up to the actor (or actress in this case) to get those same scenes across. It's not solely the fault of the actress, but it's also not solely the fault of the writers. It's a combination of the two.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

(To agree with everyone else) I don't want to see the same-old bored, pretty, rich people doing weird (sometimes kinky) shit.

I want to see more 'normal' people, and more 'New York'--hearing Zuiker basically say that CSI:NY was about Manhattan doesn't bring my hopes up--NY is more than just upper-class Manhattan.

I guess the rest of the city doesn't deserve the snazzy CSI work--it's only the rich, pretty people that should get it. [/sarcasm]

3. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Oh. Ohhhh, he did not just say that. :mad: Zuiker, I'm not even an NYC native and I got mad just reading that. No wonder the show's become what it's been.

Yep. Damn right I wanna see more of NYC than Manhattan!

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Kat1974, good point about Lindsay. I just wish they'd made the plain girl more likable. Are they trying to imply that anyone not stunningly beautiful is unpleasant? :lol:

All the guest stars do seem to be ridiculously good looking. I think I gave up on realism from this show about a season and a half ago, though, after the umpteenth rich person murder.

5. NOLAGRRL

NOLAGRRL Witness

Or even parts of Manhattan that aren't all bourgeois. Hell, the median household income is $47K. They can't all live like kings.

But that would be far too radical, right? I mean of course the only thing I want to see is young, rich, white, straight, pretty people on my tv because anything else would be just against God. /sarcasm. :mad:

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

It also goes against the 12 year old girl demographic TPTB seem to be going after. On a crime drama in the 10 PM time slot. :rolleyes:

I said I didn't want to see Sybil!Lindsay in S4 because I know she's on the show and there's nothing I can do to change that. After watching "You Only Die Once," I'm amending that. For the rest of S4 I don't want to hear Lindsay speak ever again. Just show her processing stuff in montages with music playing. Mute!Lindsay will at least keep me from throwing things at my TV by the end of the season, or you know, the next episode.

ETA: No more undercutting characters with stupid romantic choices. Although, I have to say TPTB have been equal opportunity with their attempted character assassinations. First Stella has to be knocked down a peg and victimized by a boyfriend. Then Danny has his entire personality changed to hook up with Lindsay. Lindsay was never even a character to begin with - she's always been half of "Danny and Lindsay." Now, good guy working class cop Flack has been compromised by going for a young socialite who came off as a Paris Hilton type airhead trust fund baby who has never worked a day in her life and calling her his "girlfriend" 847 times in one episode.

If TPTB are intent on people hooking up, at least make better choices. The whole "I'm intelligent, good-looking and good at my job so my romantic choices must be horrendous to give my character depth" scenerio is a cliche and it isn't working at all for the NY characters.

7. Fan123

Fan123 Hit and Run

Burying past story lines.
    Neutered/Tamed Danny
    Stella dressed for a party instead of for detective work
    The dynamic ensemble cast diminished like the new opening credits

8. privatename

privatename Rookie

You know, if Stella's tops get any lower cut she is going to bust out. Please let's not see Stella's boobs this season :) I really do like the character, but why do they dress her in so many inappropriate outfits. She is working.

I think this goes along with the points people were making about only hiring beautiful, stunning people. Are they trying to say women have to dress that skimpily and with really tight clothes in order to be considered beautiful and sexy? Because if someone is physically beautiful they are still beautiful even if they are dressed in more conservative clothes. I am not suggesting mumu's and potato sacks -- just more appropriate work clothes.

I also agree Lindsay was a good choice from the standpoint that she is, imo, fairly average looking. I just wish I could like her personality or that she could show some warmth or charm that would make her character redeemable.

9. Top41

Good point. Aside from Mac, has anyone else on this show actually made a good romantic choice? Well, okay, Lindsay, but since the same can't be said for the other half of that coupling, I don't think it really counts.

I do think it's cute that Flack thinks after three dates Devon is his girlfriend. :lol: I kinda thought he was just fooling around, but even if he isn't, I bet she is. Poor Flack!

But yes, let's see one of our CSIs make a good choice in love.

10. flacksgirl

flacksgirl Hit and Run

Wow you guys have pretty much taken the words out of my mouth. I reallllllly don't want Flack to be in a cover up. He is my role model. I am applying to the police department on the first and I want to be just like Flack. Of course I would love to sit down and have a long talk about the things that he has to do as a cop (maybe with some wine, candles and a nice fire). I would lose all respect for Flack and his character if he was involved in anything illegal or immoral.

Less Lindsey. Her character has really lost its appeal. I kind of liked her the first season she was on (she was a nice contrast to all the NY stuff, I guess being from the country I knew what she was going through) but now she is just getting tired.

Please don't make Stella the victim again. I don't think I can handle seeing another strong female character beaten down on tv again and poor Stella doesn't need anymore attacks for awhile.

Oh yeah, lets get rid of Devon or what ever her name was. What a twit. She is the complete antithesis of Flack. He would never be with a girl like that for more than one date. She would bore the crap out of him. He is a sarcastic smart a$$. We (I am one as well) don't do well with boring dumb A$$es!

11. Surreal_44

Surreal_44 Hit and Run

Hello. Things I don't want to see in CSI NY?

--Any more Danny drama. I know everyone lurves him, but personally I'm sick of his emotional story lines, his attitude and his arms. Sexy arms do not a character make, and in between him being either a jerk or weepy, I can't deal with anymore drama for/from him.

--Stella boyfriends. I hope that this guy does not turn out to be a romantic interest for her, even though he's trying to be.

--Mac surviving another big explosion. I don't want him to die. I just don't want him to be in another explosion and miraculously survive it. Try killing him some other way, please.

--More of Hawkes and his super-awesomeness. He's about the biggest Marty Stu I've ever seen; he's good at EVERYTHING and knows EVERYTHING and even though his inappropriately tight shirts look nice on him, I want to kill him. Seriously. He's annoying and I don't really enjoy his character.

--Flack being shoved to the background in favor of any other characters angst.

--Also regarding Flack: how about less of this "dumb detective" thing they have going on with him? He assumes crimes are open and shut, assumes suicide when it's probably homicide, and he rarely, if ever, actually gets to find a clue.

He couldn't be that dumb and make detective. For the love of all CSI, at least allow him to make some connections without one of the nerd herd explaining forensics to him first. I'd love it if he spotted something they didn't and point it out, rather than stand there and have things pointed out to him all the time.

Just to briefly touch on what else has been discussed:

--Danny swears on his mother's life -- not her grave -- that he was not involved with that murder.

--I'm on the fence about Flack's girlfriend, mainly because he seems happy right now. Three minutes on-screen wasn't enough time for me to judge her fairly. I'm more amused by the response to the idea that he has a girlfriend and that he is practically glowing because of it. It's nice to see a character really and truly happy, so for now, if his pretty lady is making him happy, I'm happy.

I just don't want her to turn into some crazed nut-case or be a criminal or worse, die from murder/disease/accident.

Been there, done that. Let's try something new.

Although....if the gun is a clue, could it be his girlfriend is murdered and he investigates and actually gets to solve a case? Woot.

It'd be all kinds of awesome if forensics fail in this and Flack manages to catch the perp finding clues on his own -- he could be put at odds with the whole lab. I'm not holding my breath on this, but hey, I can always dream, right?

12. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Welcome to the boards Surreal 44!

Believe it or not, there used to be an anti-Danny thread around here. You're not the only one who dislikes him.

I actually don't think we see enough of Hawkes, but to each their own and all that.

I don't think Mac has any explosions coming in the future, unless The Powers That Be end the 333 plotline with a bang.

Yeah, I agree about Devon.

I'm so totally with you on Stella and boyfriends. One Frankie was more than enough for me.

I never noticed Flack being potrayed as a "dumb detective" but you might be on to something now that I think about it.

13. Top41

midnight_tiptoes would second your comment about Danny-drama, Surreal_44.

Danny swore on his mother's grave in "On the Job" and on her life in RSRD. I think Danny needs to stop swearing in relation to his mother altogether. :lol:

I'd like to see Flack put together a case, too, but I don't think the detectives on the CSI shows really do that. I don't recall Tripp or Brass getting the opportunity to cinch a case.

14. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Yeah, it sort of bugs me when the CSI's get all the credit.
    Although last weeks ep, it was Flack who got the guy to confess in interrogation.

15. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

The Mac & Stella Hour
    Frankie 2.0
    Hawkes relegated to background

Enough said.