The World's Biggest Sports Team Rivalries

Exit 8A

Pathologist
In honor of the upcoming Ohio State-Michigan game, can anyone think up any major sports rivalries around the world? I'll right now just list some of the biggies here in the US, as I am really not too familiar with the rivalries in the rest of the world.

New York Yankees - Boston Red Sox: Do I really need to explain this one?

Ohio State Buckeyes - Michigan Wolverines : One of the biggest rivalries in all of College Football, to Michigan fans, an 12-1 season is considered a failure if the one loss is to Ohio State, while a 1-12 season, while highly unlikely, is considered hugely successful if the win is against Ohio State.

Detroit Red Wings - Colorado Avalanche : I don't know if this one is already fizzled down, but about 5 years ago, they couldn't get through a game without over 100 minutes in penalties for each team.

If you can think of some around the world, in your home country, or even in the US, list and explain a little.

Canada-America: This one is big, especially when it comes to hockey. Everytime Canada plays against America in any sport it's talked about so much here, especially if Canada wins. The rivalry is also big when they play each other in women's soccer.

How can we foget Man Un/ Chelsea? (I can't believe Chelsea is behind? How the heck did that happen? What is this world coming to? Can you tell I'm a major Chelsea fan?)
There was also the USA/USSR rivalry way back when the earth's crust was hardening.
I'm probably only one here who actually watches skiing in the Olympics, but sometimes there's the Austria:D/Switzerland:mad: rivalry goin' on.
Sports rivalries make games interesting!

aus v end in cricket! the ashes start on thurs WOOT WOOT

carlton v collingwood in afl :D

and all i can say is GO RED SOX! haha

How could I forget...

Olympiakos-Panathinaikos: Both clubs play in Athens & whenever they face each other in a league match there's always huge fights going on between the fans. The rivalry is getting even bigger now that Panthinaikos is closing on Olympiakos to take the top spot in the fixtures.

Here in Scotland it is Hearts/Hibs and Rangers/Celtic.
Ohhh the Ashes, I am actually backing Aussie, shock horror!

Kiwi_kid said:
Here in Scotland it is Hearts/Hibs and Rangers/Celtic.
Ohhh the Ashes, I am actually backing Aussie, shock horror!

Huh, what's with scots SO willing to back up other countries than England?! :p Pssh..just shows that our hate for each other country lies DEEP. :p

jorja_fan86 said:
Canada-America: This one is big, especially when it comes to hockey. Everytime Canada plays against America in any sport it's talked about so much here, especially if Canada wins. The rivalry is also big when they play each other in women's soccer.

I think that's much bigger there than here, we really don't talk about that much in the USA.

Of course the most known rivalry is Los Gatos vs. Saratoga, :lol:.

ShuriyuCSI said:
Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. 'Nuff said. :p
That's definitely the big rivalry in southern Alberta - you're pretty much born into one or the other! :lol: GO FLAMES GO!! (Tuesday is the night when they both take the ice!!)

I'm not a hockey fan but if you're going talk Edmonton Calgary, then you've got to mention Toronto-Montreal.Remember they are 2 of the orginial six teams.

grissoms_gurl said:
ShuriyuCSI said:
Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. 'Nuff said. :p
That's definitely the big rivalry in southern Alberta - you're pretty much born into one or the other! :lol: GO FLAMES GO!! (Tuesday is the night when they both take the ice!!)
*Calgary all the way man! Whoo!* .. I'll have to make sure to check the score for that game..

Toronto-Montréal is a big one, for sure.

... France-England, maybe?

Back