The World's Biggest Sports Team Rivalries

kazzy said:
Huh, what's with scots SO willing to back up other countries than England?! :p Pssh..just shows that our hate for each other country lies DEEP. :p

I live in Scotland but am from NZ which means it is like basically illegal to back the aussies - but I totally agree with the English/Scottish thing - ahem not much love lost there!

NBA rivalries:

Dallas Mavericks - San Antonio Spurs
Sacramento Kings - Los Angeles Lakers (a blood feud to this day)
Detroit Pistons - Indiana Pacers (remember the Malice at the Palace?)

Jacquie said:
I'm not a hockey fan but if you're going talk Edmonton Calgary, then you've got to mention Toronto-Montreal.Remember they are 2 of the orginial six teams.

Oh, definitely. Toronto vs Ottawa as well. That's a heated rivalry. I think Toronto with pretty much anyone as well :lol:

I live in Scotland but am from NZ which means it is like basically illegal to back the aussies
Ah, which brings me to the one that I was going to say. Australia/New Zealand. I guess this is mainly evident in the Rugby (both kinds), though I guess the tri-nations is also about the rivalry between Aus/England, but eh, whatever. All I have to say on the matter is GO THE KANGAROOS! :D

carlz31 said:
Ah, which brings me to the one that I was going to say. Australia/New Zealand. I guess this is mainly evident in the Rugby
Yeah and then you add South Africa for the tri-nations. In provincial rugby, there are a few big rivalries - Otago vs Canterbury, North Island teams vs South Island teams, then if you live outside of Auckland you want them to lose no matter who they play. :lol:

Everything:

Finland - Sweden

Our history is the reason :p

Wintersports (those that are team events, esp in skiing and ski jumping and stuff)

Finland - Norway :p

Teams.

Our hockey league:
TPS - Jokerit. Those used to be so many times in finals in the 90s and it's... it's a legend.

Jokerit - HIFK. Both from Helsinki, so it's pretty much "who's the king of the city".

Ilves - Tappara. Both from Tampere. Same reason than above.

Lower leagues:

Hermes HT - Sport. Closest to each other and it's more like "king of the area" :p

Back