"The Unusual Suspect" Discussion *Beware SPOILERS*

hodges is the best. i love everyone, (exept for eclike), but hodges...amazing. can someone please tell me about the hodges scenes from the ep? i didnt get it here in my country. we run late.

You know, I'd have to agree with whomever said that it's nice to just be able to focus on just a few characters once in a while. While I'm a serious Nick/George Eads fan, there have been some episodes where he didn't figure prominently that I still thought were amazing. I loved the one where Grissom had to discredit an entymologist colleague for a court case, for example. For me, either the episode has strong writing or it doesn't. I like all the characters and I don't want to see any of them go, but such is life. People come and go. ;)

GumDrops said:
nickstokesfan said:
They can't retry the brother -- that's called double jeopardy.

Wouldn't they be able to re-open the case though, because of new evidence or a new testification (is that a word, by the way?), because they did that in a couple cases?
I think that's only if there's a hung jury or evidence of jury tampering, not an acquital (I could be wrong). And BTW, the word you're looking for is testimony. ;)

xfcanadian said:
but its a show about FORENSIC science, and sara, especially nick are not very convincing scientists...and this episode would have been way better with grissom, because i think he would have related better with the girl than sara did
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Given that Grissom is one hell of a scientist... just because Nick and Sara choose to get more emotional in a case does not mean they're less of a scientist.

And I thought Sara totally connected with the girl. We could see Sara respecting the girl even though she's only 12. Sara's expression in the end was just priceless. And I love how the girl seemed always one step ahead of Sara, but Sara still handled it well.

ACW1129 said:
GumDrops said:
nickstokesfan said:
They can't retry the brother -- that's called double jeopardy.

Wouldn't they be able to re-open the case though, because of new evidence or a new testification (is that a word, by the way?), because they did that in a couple cases?
I think that's only if there's a hung jury or evidence of jury tampering, not an acquital (I could be wrong). And BTW, the word you're looking for is testimony. ;)

Right. But wasn't there one case, I forget the name, but Nick investigated a re-opened case. They'd already convicted a suspect. They were already serving time (I think) and a new testimony came in? And the case got re-opened?

Also...why was there no suspicion that Hannah may have had help?

^^^ Yes, but that person was convicted. Once you've been found not guilty, you cannot be tried for the same crime again. Sometimes they take a person to another court, like when OJ got sued for damages by Nicole's family, for example. Or, they may try to charge you with a different related crime if they're still trying to work the criminal charges angle.

church2001 said:
I actually thought the ending was pretty ambiguous. Even though Hannah told Sara her brother did it I felt that she only said that to mess with her. So there remains the possiblity that Hannah was the real killer.

Yeah, at the end, I was like, "So who killed Stacy again?" I think Hannah may have had a hand in it if she didn't actually kill Stacy. Possibly breaking into the science lab and knowing how to handle the Sodium stuff.

What I didn't like about the eppy (other than Greg and Grissom being conspicuously missing) was that Nick and even Marlon's defense attorney were trying to implicate Hannah, because they believed Marlon to be too stupid to do something like that.

And Sara, being the type of girl Hannah was, was saying that Hannah couldn't have pulled it off. Hannah haad specifically said that anyone could do it if they had "the right tools". But that wasn't really elaborated on. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I didn't think it was as good as it could've been.

Hey guys, Grissom was in the promo. But he's got that "pondering" look on his face so much that I'm not sure if they cut him out of the eppy or whether they just cut and pasted a clip of him looking like that.

I agree with kaylyne- S/ 6 has been so mediocre to poor- I think out of all the whole season I've like maybe 6-really bad-the last eppy I liked was "Kiss Kiss Bye Bye" ;) the little girl was good- Sofia- YUK as usual :( Nick is always good- but that hair has got to go- how can he think it look's good- it really takes away from his good looks :( is seems that poor Warrick is always kind of in the background- and Cath--whatever :rolleyes:-missed Grissom-Greg and Brass-and Sara/Jorja- rocked - she's incredible- her timing so precise ;)-she was great- the little girls announcement at the end- did give me chills-creepy :confused: but after CSI I watched "Without A Trace" so far superior - and riveting-really really good-- sad but true- :(

csiinblacksmall2.jpg

nickstokesfan said:
I know this isn't the place to discuss this but I just want to add that the girl in the picture is 10 years old. It's beyond inappropriate. Okay, I'll shut up now.

I know the picture has been removed, but I just wanted to say that I thought it was Sofia talking to Sara, not the little girl. I'm really sorry everyone..my mind doesn't work that way at all..

Back on topic

Thanks Nickstokesfan for pointing that out!

cofi_shot said:
xfcanadian said:
but its a show about FORENSIC science, and sara, especially nick are not very convincing scientists...and this episode would have been way better with grissom, because i think he would have related better with the girl than sara did
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Given that Grissom is one hell of a scientist... just because Nick and Sara choose to get more emotional in a case does not mean they're less of a scientist.

And I thought Sara totally connected with the girl. We could see Sara respecting the girl even though she's only 12. Sara's expression in the end was just priceless. And I love how the girl seemed always one step ahead of Sara, but Sara still handled it well.

a scientist role isn't to get 'connected' with people. that is why i say sara and nick don't play very convincing scientists...besides the fact the neither of them seem like they actually know any science.

all the evidence was played by a hunch, no one stepped back to look at the evidence in an unbiased way, which is what a good scientist has to do. i don't even think there was any strong forensic evidence against either of them, they were just going by there confessions...

if you get the emotion involed, then the science looses all its credibility, and thats why grissom makes such a good scientist, and he always tells everyone that

^^^hmmm ok i get your point.

So I guess Griss is the better scientist. Nick and Sara are the better CSIs. Ok, not better... at par with Griss is more like it. ;) Cause I think being a CSI is more than just being a scientist.

Well all scientist have to have some sort of intuition or there'd be no development in the area at all. Many sscientist have made their most knows break-troughs trough hunches. And hunches always entails emotions. It is a myth that true scientists are objective - there's no true objectivity when it comes to evidence - evidence as such is always seen trough a cultural mirror of sorts.

A scientist without hunches or emotions would probably become efficient but never outstanding.

Ok here's what I think, when the evidence gets you nowhere, you follow your hunch. *remember Last Laugh when Brass came to Nick cause of a hunch?* And that's when being good at the emotional aspect comes into play.

^^^ Not to mention the end scene in Eleven Angry Jurors where Nick and Grissom discuss this very thing...

Back