The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

RIP Sidney Sheldon. Started out with Tv then went on to writing books if I remember correctly.

Condolences and sympathies to the families and friends of all those who have passed in recent days. It's a shame that we've lost so many people, across so many entertainment genres. :(

Spinners Singer Billy Henderson Dies
Feb 3, 6:01 PM (ET)

HOLLY HILL, Fla. (AP) - Singer Billy Henderson, a member of the band the Spinners who sang "I'll Be Around" and other hits, has died. He was 67.

Henderson died Friday of complications from diabetes at a Daytona Beach health care facility, his wife, Barbara, said.

The 1972 song "I'll Be Around" was part of a string of Top 20 Spinners hits that included "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love,""Then Came You" and "The Rubberband Man."

The five-member band of high school friends formed in 1954 in Ferndale, Mich., a Detroit suburb. They went on to be nominated for six Grammy Awards and became the second black musical group to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Four of the original band members, including Henderson, continued to perform together until recently. He was dismissed from the group in 2004 after suing the group's corporation and business manager to obtain financial records.

Charles E. Scripps Dies at 87

<SNIP>
Charles E. Scripps, one of the patriarchs of the Cincinnati-based media empire that bears his family’s name, died Saturday of natural causes near his home in Naples, Fla. He was 87.

Scripps, grandson of E.W. Scripps Co. founder Edward W. Scripps, was chairman of the company’s board of directors from 1953 until 1994 and oversaw its expansion from a newspaper publisher into broadcast television and later the cable-television networks that now fuel the company’s growth.

Locally, Scripps owns the Cincinnati Post, the Kentucky Post and WCPO-TV (Channel 9). Its cable-television holdings include Home & Garden Television and the Food Network.

Charles Scripps is survived by his wife, Mary Elizabeth Breslin Scripps, whom he married in 1993, and four children, Charles E. Scripps Jr. of Darby, Mont.; Marilyn Scripps Wade and Julia Scripps Heidt of Cincinnati, and Eaton Scripps of Boulder, Colo. He had two brothers, Robert P. Scripps and Sam Scripps, two stepsons, Ben and Andrew Breslin, seven grandchildren and three step-grandchildren.

Actress-Singer Barbara McNair Dies
Feb 5, 2:08 PM (ET)
By JACOB ADELMAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Singer Barbara McNair, who became a film and television star in an era when such opportunities were opening up for black women, has died, her sister said. She was 72.

McNair died Sunday after a battle with throat cancer in Los Angeles, sister Jacqueline Gaither said.

"She was very family oriented," Gaither said. "She was more than just a star or a famous personality. She was a person of her own."

McNair made her Hollywood acting debut in 1968 in the film, "If He Hollers, Let Him Go."

She later starred opposite Sydney Poitier in "They Call Me Mister Tibbs" and with Elvis Presley in "Change of Habit."

She hosted television's "The Barbara McNair Show," a musical and comedy program in the late 1960s and early 1970s. As a singer, one of her biggest hits was "You Could Never Love Him."

'Mod Squad' actor Tige Andrews, 86, dies

LOS ANGELES - Tige Andrews, the Emmy-nominated character actor who portrayed a police captain in charge of a trio of hip, young crime fighters in "The Mod Squad," has died. He was 86.

Andrews died Jan. 27 of cardiac arrest at his home in the San Fernando Valley, his family said.

The actor often played detectives during his television career, which spanned five decades and included appearances on more than 60 shows. His daughter said he was proud of his stint as Capt. Adam Greer on "The Mod Squad," which aired during the late 1960s and early 1970s. The popular TV drama starred three young actors — Clarence Williams III, Michael Cole and Peggy Lipton.

"He felt the show made a big difference because it was one of the first television series to address social issues such as drugs, prostitution and teen pregnancy that were more hush-hush before that time," said Barbara Andrews, one of the actor's six children.

Tiger Andrews was born March 19, 1920, in Brooklyn, N.Y. His parents, following Syrian custom, named him after a strong animal to ensure good health for their son, his family said.

His mother died when he was 3, and his father, who ran a fruit stand, later remarried. Andrews was wounded while serving in the Army during World War II and, after returning home, graduated from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.

In 1955, Andrews appeared in the off-Broadway revival of "The Threepenny Opera." Later that year, director John Ford cast him in the film version of "Mister Roberts" after seeing his Broadway performance. Family members said Ford was a major influence on Andrews.

The actor's wife of 46 years, Norma Thornton, died in 1996.

I watched this show growing up(shows my age) lol & always wished they'd repeat it on tv land. RIP Tige.

1950s Singer Frankie Laine Dies at 93
Feb 6, 8:45 PM (ET)
By DAISY NGUYEN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Frankie Laine, the big-voiced singer whose string of hits made him one of the most popular entertainers of the 1950s, died Tuesday. He was 93.

Laine died of heart failure at Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Jimmy Marino, Laine's producer of more than a dozen years, told The Associated Press.

"He was one of the greatest singers around," Marino said. "He was one of the last Italian crooners type."

With songs such as "That's My Desire,""Mule Train,""Jezebel,""I Believe" and "That Lucky Old Sun," Laine was a regular feature of the Top Ten in the years just before rock 'n' roll ushered in a new era of popular music.

Somewhat younger listeners may remember him best for singing the theme to the television show "Rawhide," which ran from 1959 to 1966, and the theme for the 1974 movie "Blazing Saddles."

He sold more than 100 million records and earned more than 20 gold records.

"He will be forever remembered for the beautiful music he brought into this world, his wit and sense of humor, along with the love he shared with so many," Laine's family said in a statement.

Laine said his musical influences included Bing Crosby, Al Jolson and jazz artists including Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong and Billie Holliday.

"When people nowadays say that Elvis was the first white guy to sound black, I have to shake my head; what can you do?" he said in a 1987 interview. "At the time of 'That's My Desire,' they were saying that I was the only white guy around who sounded black."

He occasionally recorded songs by country singers, such as "Hey Good Lookin'" and "Your Cheatin' Heart" by Hank Williams. In 2004 he released an album called "Nashville Connection."

Laine's variety show "Frankie Laine Time" ran for two summers, 1955 and 1956, on CBS, and he also appeared in films including "When You're Smiling," and "Sunny Side of the Street."

He had a top 25 hit on the Billboard charts in 1969 with "You Gave Me a Mountain," a song written by Marty Robbins.

Laine was born Frank LoVecchio on March 30, 1913, in Chicago, the son of a barber who emigrated from Sicily.

He struggled from his teens until well into his 30s - even having to earn a living as a marathon dancer - before hits began coming his way with "That's My Desire" in 1947. His breakthrough came when Hoagy Carmichael heard him sing in a Los Angeles nightclub and praised his work.

"People like to say, 'Oh, I wouldn't change a thing,'" he said in an interview for the book "Off the Record: An Oral History of Popular Music.""But if I had it to do over again, there is one thing I would change. I would make it happen maybe 10 years sooner.

"Ten years is a good stretch of scuffling. But I scuffled for 17 years before it happened, and 17 is a bit much."

In recent years, he remained active in touring and in charity fundraising. Punning on the title of one of his hits, he called his 1993 autobiography "That Lucky Old Son."

He made his last performance in 2005 on a PBS television special.

He was married to Nan Grey, a leading lady in Hollywood films of the 1930s who died in 1993.

Survivors include his second wife, Marcia; a brother; and two daughters.

He was just a little before my time but I remember My mom having his records. RIP Frankie.

WOW, I grew up with his music, my folks were hugh fans, my dad always sang along with him.. very unique voice, and a very happy individual, nice man, he still, apperared into his 80's in Vegas, and lived in Point Loma, (San Diego) went sailing, 93-yrs. old.. long life, may he RIP Frankie you were the best!!

'Anna Nicole Smith' Has Died, Her Lawyer Says
Edited: For breaking news see link above:

Reality star Anna Nicole Smith is dead, her lawyer told FOX News Thursday.

Smith, 39, did not respond to CPR, and her boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, was with her when she passed, her attorney, Ron Rale, told FOX News.

Smith was found unresponsive Thursday in her Hard Rock Hotel room in Hollywood, Fla.

Emergency responders performed CPR at the scene and a breathing apparatus was inserted in her throat, hotel officials told TMZ.com. Smith was immediately transported to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood just after 2 p.m. EST.

holy crap! thats crazy. its been obvious in recent interviews that something wasnt right, but i didnt think it would lead to this. i hope her baby girl gets taken good care of, and larry birkhead will still be able to find out if he is the dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back