The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Edward Herrmann, Gilmore Girls Patriarch, Dead at Age 71

Gilmore Girls patriarch Edward Herrmann died on Wednesday, following a battle with brain cancer. He was 71.

The veteran actor’s family told TMZ that he had been in ICU in New York City for several weeks, and after showing no progress, he was taken off the respirator.

As recently as last month, Herrmann was appearing in a Westport Country Playhouse staging of Joanna McClelland’s Trying.

As Gilmore Girls‘ Richard Gilmore, Herrmann played dad to Lauren Graham’s Lorelai and grandfather to Alexis Bledel’s Rory. His extensive TV resume also includes — but is by no means limited to — The Good Wife (where he recurred as defense attorney Lionel Deerfield), Harry’s Law, Grey’s Anatomy, Oz, St. Elsewhere, a guest-starring run on The Practice (for which he won an Emmy) and, most recently, ABC’s Black Box.

He also narrated numerous programs for the History channel and portrayed President Franklin Delano Roosevelt twice in TV-movies (as well as in 1982’s Annie).

On Broadway, Herrmann collected two Tony Award nominations, winning in 1976 for his role in George Bernard Shaw’s Mrs. Warren’s Profession, while his film credits include The Paper Chase, Harry’s War and The Lost Boys.

Herrmann is survived by his second wife (of 22 years), Star, and a total of five children.

RIP- Edward Hermann who passed away December 30 in a New York hospital from Brain
Cancer. He was 71.
He is known for being in the Gilmore Girls, but he also portrayed FDR in the 70's movie
Franklin and Eleanor with Jane Alexander. He also did the voice over on Ken Burns documentary on The Roosevelts.

Mario Cuomo, former New York governor, dies at age of 82

Mario Cuomo, the former governor of New York, died Thursday. He was 82.

His son, Chris Cuomo, confirmed the news to CNN, where he works as a news anchor on the show "New Day."

Cuomo, also the father of current New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, served three terms in office, 1983 to 1994. Cuomo retired from politics after being defeated by George Pataki in a bid for a fourth term.

It was not immediately clear how Cuomo, a favorite of the Democratic Party's liberal contingent, died. He turned down several invitations to run for president throughout his career.

Mario Cuomo was born on June 15, 1932 in Queens to Italian immigrants Andrea and Immaculata Cuomo, the New York Post reported.

At his second inauguration Thursday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo hinted at his father's poor health.

"We're missing one family member. My father is not with us today. We had hoped he was going to be able to come; he is at home and he is not well enough to come. We spent last night with him ... we stayed at my father's house to ring in the New Year with him," Andrew Cuomo said during his address.

He also quoted his father, saying that despite recent racial tensions in New York City, “We are the family of New York.”

Donna Douglas who played Elly May Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies passed away
Thursday from pancreatic cancer. She was 81.

Last edited:
Beau Kazer who played my favorite Young & the Restless character Brock Reynolds past away December 30, 2014.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/01/rip-beau-kazer-yr-alum-passes

Beau Kazer, who originated the role of Brock Reynolds on CBS’ “The Young and the Restless” in 1974, has died. The actor passed on December 30 in Thousand Oaks, California. He was 63 years old.

theyoungandtherestless_rememberingjeannecooper_beaukazer_01_640x400.jpg

Sean Smith/JPI Studios

Survived by his wife, Sharon Alkus, Kazar had been a fixture on “Y&R” for much of its 40+ years on television. He most recently appeared in 2013 episodes of the daytime drama series celebrating the life of Jeanne Cooper and her character, Katherine Chancellor, who was Brock’s mother.
Alkus notes that “Y&R” was a large part of her husband’s life and that he was very proud of [being part of the cast].

“The Young and the Restless has lost another of its own… RIP Beau Kazer (Brock) I remember the first time I heard your voice and thought wow! This guy should have been in radio! Then I watched u act and was blown away with how natural and honest your performances always were. God Bless,” shared Daniel Goddard (Cane Ashby) on Facebook.
“So sad to hear of the passing of Beau Kayser …Brock Reynolds on the Young &The Restless…Kay Chancellor’s son…rest in peace Beau❤,” said Patti Denney, who is the head of hair and makeup at “Y&R.”

Read more: R.I.P. Beau Kazer - 'Y&R' Alum Passes http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/01/rip-beau-kazer-yr-alum-passes#ixzz3O7xPCND6

Rod Taylor, Star of Hitchcock's 'The Birds,' Dies at 84

Rod Taylor, the rugged leading man best known for Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds and the sci-fi classic The Time Machine, has died at age 84. Taylor passed away Wednesday of natural causes, according to his daughter, former CNN correspondent Felicia Taylor.

The Australian-born Taylor racked up more than 90 film and TV credits, ranging from the voice of Pongo the dog in Disney’s 1961 animated classic 101 Dalmatians to his final film role, as Winston Churchill in Quentin Tarantino’s 2009 Oscar winner, Inglourious Basterds. Taylor also shared screen time with John Wayne and Ann-Margret in The Train Robbers (1973) and appeared with Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine, and Debbie Reynolds in The Catered Affair (1956).

Although he had minor film roles in the 1950s, including in the James Dean-Rock Hudson-Elizabeth Taylor classic Giant, his Hollywood breakthrough came in George Pal’s 1960 adaptation of H.G. Wells’s The Time Machine, which established him as a bankable star.

But it was Hitchcock’s 1963 classic horror film, pitting Taylor and Tippi Hedren against flocks of murderous birds, that proved to be the actor’s most enduring role.

"There are so many incredible feelings I have for him. Rod was a great pal to me and a real strength, we were very, very good friends," Hedren, 84, said in a statement via People. “He was one of the most fun people I have ever met, thoughtful and classy, there was everything good in that man.”

Taylor’s other notable film credits included The V.I.P.s with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, Young Cassidy with Julie Christie and Maggie Smith, the Doris Day vehicles Do Not Disturb and The Glass Bottom Boat, and Michelangelo Antonioni’s Zabriskie Point.

As his film career stalled in the 1970s, he turned to TV with such series as Bearcats, The Oregon Trail, and recurring stints on Falcon Crest and Walker, Texas Ranger. He also appeared in the TV movies Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy” and Charles and Diana: A Royal Love Story.

Tarantino, a fan of Taylor’s 1960s work, cast the actor as Churchill in Inglourious Basterds — a part that earned him late-career acclaim; he shared the Screen Actors Guild and Critics’ Choice Awards for Best Ensemble.

Taylor is survived by wife Carol and daughter Felicia, who said in a statement: “My dad loved his work. Being an actor was his passion – calling it an honorable art and something he couldn’t live without.”

CBS reporter and 60 Minutes correspondent Bob Simon was killed in a car crash Wed. Feb. 11, 2015.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/60...in-new-york-crash/ar-AA9hl5K?ocid=ansnewsap11

NEW YORK (AP) — Longtime "60 Minutes" correspondent Bob Simon, who covered most major overseas conflicts and news stories since the late 1960s during a five-decade career in journalism, died in a car crash. He was 73.
Simon was among a handful of elite journalists, a "reporter's reporter," according to his executive producer, whose assignments took him from the Vietnam War to the Oscar-nominated movie "Selma." He spent years doing foreign reporting for CBS News, particularly from the Middle East, where he was held captive for more than a month in Iraq two decades ago.
"Bob Simon was a giant of broadcast journalism, and a dear friend to everyone in the CBS News family," CBS News President David Rhodes said in a statement. "We are all shocked by this tragic, sudden loss."
A town car in which Simon was a passenger Wednesday night hit another car stopped at a Manhattan traffic light and then slammed into metal barriers separating traffic lanes, police said. Simon and the town car's driver were taken to a hospital, where Simon was pronounced dead.
The town car driver suffered injuries to his legs and arms. The driver of the other car was uninjured. No arrests were made, said police, who continued to investigate the deadly accident.
"CBS Evening News" anchor Scott Pelley, his eyes red, announced the death in a special report.

AA9hl5I.img
© The Associated Press FILE - In this April 7, 2014 file photo, Bob Simon of "60 Minutes," attends the New York premiere of "The Railway Man" in New York. CBS says Simon was killed in a car crash on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015, in Manhattan. Police say a town car…

"We have some sad news from within our CBS News family," Pelley said. "Our colleague Bob Simon was killed this evening."
"Vietnam is where he first began covering warfare, and he gave his firsthand reporting from virtually every major battlefield around the world since," Pelley said.
Simon had been contributing to "60 Minutes" on a regular basis since 1996. He also was a correspondent for "60 Minutes II."
He was preparing a report on the Ebola virus and the search for a cure for this Sunday's "60 Minutes" broadcast. He had been working on the project with his daughter, Tanya Simon, a producer with whom he collaborated on several stories.
Anderson Cooper, who does occasional stories for "60 Minutes," was near tears talking about Simon's death. He said that when Simon presented a story "you knew it was going to be something special."
"I dreamed of being, and still hope to be, a quarter of the writer that Bob Simon is and has been," the CNN anchor said. "... Bob Simon was a legend, in my opinion."
Jeff Fager, executive producer of "60 Minutes," said in a statement, "It is such a tragedy made worse because we lost him in a car accident, a man who has escaped more difficult situations than almost any journalist in modern times. Bob was a reporter's reporter."
Simon joined CBS News in 1967 as a reporter and assignment editor, covering campus unrest and inner-city riots, CBS said. He also worked in CBS' Tel Aviv bureau from 1977 to 1981 and in Washington, D.C., as its Department of State correspondent.

AA9hsnM.img
© The Associated Press In this March 24, 2010 photo released by CBS, "60 Minutes" correspondent Bob Simon, speaks with a news producer at the CBS Broadcast Center in New York. CBS says Simon was killed in a car crash on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015, in Manhattan…

Simon's career in war reporting began in Vietnam, and he was on one of the last helicopters out of Saigon when the U.S. withdrew in 1975. At the outset of the Gulf War in January 1991, Simon was captured by Iraqi forces near the Saudi-Kuwaiti border. CBS said he and three other members of CBS News' coverage team spent 40 days in Iraqi prisons, an experience Simon wrote about in his book "Forty Days." Simon returned to Baghdad in January 1993 to cover the American bombing of Iraq.
Simon won numerous awards, including his fourth Peabody and an Emmy for his story from Central Africa on the world's only all-black symphony in 2012. Another story about an orchestra in Paraguay, one whose poor members constructed their instruments from trash, won him his 27th Emmy, perhaps the most held by a journalist for field reporting, CBS said.
He also captured electronic journalism's highest honor, the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award, for "Shame of Srebrenica," a "60 Minutes II" report on genocide during the Bosnian War.
Former CBS News executive Paul Friedman, who teaches broadcast writing at Quinnipiac University, said Simon was "one of the finest reporters and writers in the business."
"He, better than most, knew how to make pictures and words work together to tell a story, which is television news at its best," Friedman said.
Simon was born May 29, 1941, in the Bronx. He graduated from Brandeis University in 1962 with a degree in history. He is survived by his wife, his daughter and his grandson.

Last edited:
That was a shocker to hear this sad news. I really liked Mr. Simon's reports on 60 Minutes. He will definitely be missed.
redsad.gif

Leonard Nimoy, Actor, Director, and 'Star Trek' Icon, Dies at 83 :( :( :(

I Am Not Spock proclaimed the title of Leonard Nimoy's 1975 autobiography, in which the veteran actor tried to distinguish himself from his most iconic role, as Star Trek's emotionless half-human, half-Vulcan science officer. Twenty years later, he published a follow-up entitled, I Am Spock, in which the actor-director warmly embraced his pointy-eared alter ego. Like it or not, Nimoy — who passed away on Feb. 27 at the age of 83 from end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease — was Spock to generations of sci-fi fans, so much so that when J.J. Abrams rebooted the franchise in the 2009 blockbuster, Nimoy was the one original cast member he made sure to bring back.

Even though the role defined his career for those of us watching him at home and in theaters, Spock was only one small part of Nimoy's overall life. An actor from childhood, the Boston-born Nimoy worked steadily on television before and after Star Trek, appearing on such disparate shows as Sea Hunt, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible and In Search Of…, a five-season series that explored the mysteries of the paranormal. In the '80s, he became an established film director, overseeing back-to-back big-screen Star Trek installments (The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home) followed by the 1987 hit, Three Men and a Baby.

Nimoy parlayed his eye for the camera into a respected career as a photographer, snapping pictures that hung in galleries and were collected in books like The Full Body Project — a collection for which he shot nude photos of plus-sized and obese women. "The first time I had photographed a person of that size and shape, it was scary," he remarked in a 2007 NPR interview. "I didn't know quite how to treat this figure. And I think that's a reflection of something that's prevalent in our culture. I think, in general, we are sort of conditioned to see a different body type as acceptable and maybe look away when the other body type arrives. It led me to a new consciousness about the fact that so many people live in body types that are not the type that's being sold by fashion models."

That's the kind of eminently logical argument that Spock would make and speaks to how being involved in a progressive, socially-conscious series like Star Trek must have helped shape Nimoy's worldview going forward. One of the reasons the franchise has endured is that it imagines a future Earth free of prejudice and strife. Through his life and work on-screen and off, Nimoy sought to make that world of tomorrow possible today.

Harve Bennett, Writer and Producer of 4 ‘Star Trek’ Films, Dies at 84

Harve Bennett, who wrote for and produced four Star Trek films starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, has died. He was 84.

Bennett, who won an Emmy Award for producing the 1982 telefilm A Woman Called Golda (1982), starring Ingrid Bergman as Israeli prime minister Golda Meir, died Wednesday in Medford, Ore., according to Variety.

Bennett produced such series as The Mod Squad, The Six Million Dollar Man and its spinoff The Bionic Woman, and he executive produced one of the first miniseries, the acclaimed 1976 project Rich Man, Poor Man. All were for ABC.

His death came five days after Nimoy died Feb. 27 in Los Angeles.

Paramount brought Bennett on the scene after the lackluster Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), and many credit him for rescuing the franchise. He took the reins on Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989).

Bennett was captivated by the supervillain Khan (played by Ricardo Montalban), who appeared in a first-season episode of TV’s Star Trek, and he used the character (and Montalban) as the centerpiece of the second film in the series.

After the first Star Trek movie, Nimoy famously said he wanted no part of playing Mr. Spock ever again.

“Everyone said, 'How are you going to get Leonard to do another one?’" he said in a 2006 interview with the website The Trek Nation. “I had an idea. I went to see Leonard who was then in a play and we had dinner afterward, and I said to him, &lsquoI know you don’t want to do any more Star Trek. Leonard, do you remember Psycho? Do you remember that the biggest star in that picture was killed, to everyone's shock, one-third of the way into the picture?’ He said yes, and I said, &lsquoI want to do that with Spock. I will give you the most glorious death scene ever played.’ He said that was a great idea, and he was on.”

Spock indeed was killed in Star Trek II — but, of course, he returns for the third film.

Following Star Trek, Bennett created two other sci-fi series for television in the 1990s, Time Trax for the Prime Time Entertainment Network and Invasion America, in a collaboration with Steven Spielberg, for the WB network.

A native of Chicago whose mother was a radio reporter, Bennett appeared starting at age 10 on the radio program The Quiz Kids in 1941 (he appeared on the show more than 200 times). He wrote for the Chicago Sun-Times as a teenager, graduated from UCLA with a degree in theater, served during the Korean War and landed a job as a producer at CBS in New York.

In 1956, Bennett returned to California and produced a daytime show hosted by Johnny Carson, then moved to ABC, where he was a vp in the programming department under Leonard Goldberg when the network was airing such shows as Peyton Place, Batman and The Fugitive.

Bennett left ABC to produce The Mod Squad with Aaron Spelling.

He also created with Steven Bochco the 1975-76 NBC sci-fi series The Invisible Man, starring The Man From U.N.C.L.E. actor David McCallum.

James Best, Dukes of Hazzard's Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane, Dead at 88

Actor James Best, best known to ’80s audiences as Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane on Dukes of Hazzard, died Monday from complications of pneumonia, the Associated Press reports. He was 88.

Best played the inept lawman during the CBS show’s entire seven-season run (1979-1985). Additional TV credits included guest stints on The Andy Griffith Show and In the Heat of the Night.

Used to watch "Adam 12" and "Emergency" reruns every afternoon while doing my homework when I was in Jr. High and High school. :(

Martin Milner, Star of Adam-12 and Route 66, Dead at 83

Veteran TV actor Martin Milner, best known for his starring roles in Adam-12 and Route 66, has died. He was 83.

After launching his career in such war-themed films Sands Of Iwo Jima (1949), Operation Pacific (1951) and Halls Of Montezuma (1951), Milner began his gradual transition to the small screen with a recurring role in Dragnet and guest stints on Wagon Train and The Twilight Zone.

In 1960, he scored his big break opposite George Maharis in Route 66, which ran for four seasons and nearly 120 episodes on CBS. He followed that up with a co-starring role NBC’s long-running cop drama Adam-12.

Milner’s other TV credits included Murder, She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder, Police Story, Fantasy Island, MacGyver and Life Goes On.

Back