The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Ok, I'm sorry, but I have to say this. They're dropping like flies in Hollywood. :wtf:

Geesh, don't they know the "happens in 3" rule?

This has been a sad sad time. Losing all these greats!

R.I.P to all of them.

Report: Alexis Arguello shot to death

Published: July 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

MANAGUA, Nicaragua, July 1 (UPI) -- Former junior lightweight boxing champion Alexis Arguello has died from a gunshot wound to the chest at his Nicaraguan home, the La Prensa newspaper said. Arguello, 57, was elected the mayor of Managua, Nicaragua, in 2008.

Nicaraguan presidential spokeswoman Rosario Murillo confirmed his death, but no other details were available.

Arguello retired from boxing in 1995 after he was knocked out by Aaron Pryor in their second title bout.

Before he retired for good, he made several comebacks and finished with a record of 82-8, including 65 knockouts.

Arguello carried the flag for Nicaragua at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and his overwhelming popularity in his native country led to his decision to seek public office.

"The Explosive Thin Man" was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992, won the voting for the best junior lightweight and sixth-best lightweight of the 20th century.

He was only the sixth boxer to win titles in three weight classes.

My brother just saw on a message board he frequents that Molly Sugden (I think I spelled that correctly) died. She played Mrs. Solcome (not sure on the spelling) on the Brit-com "Are You Being Served?". She was 86.

Here ya go GNRF

LONDON (Reuters) - Actress Mollie Sugden, best-known for her role as Mrs. Slocombe in the television comedy series "Are You Being Served?," has died at the age of 86.

Her agent Joan Reddin told newspapers Sugden died on Wednesday after a long illness. "She was a lovely, lovely person. She was a great professional," Reddin said.

With her hair highly coiffed and referring frequently to her "pussy," Sugden played the bossy Mrs Slocombe throughout the run of the BBC's innuendo-laden Are You Being Served? between 1972 and 1985.

Re-runs of the show in the United States in the 1990s gained her a new audience overseas.

"She was great fun, a very good actress, very versatile. She could play serious stuff and comedy," said Frank Thornton, who played opposite Sugden in the series as the stuffy floorwalker Captain Peacock.

"It was a very happy show to work on -- you can't play comedy with people you dislike," he told BBC television.

Mark Freeland, head of BBC comedy, said she was one of television's iconic funny women.

"Her daftly enormous purple rinse and never-to-be-forgotten catchphrase are the stuff of comedy legend," he said.

Sugden had also found success in the BBC TV comedy series "The Liver Birds" and played an occasional role as pub landlady Nellie Harvey in the long-running ITV soap opera "Coronation Street."

I'm sad to hear the Mollie Sugden has died :( I can only recall seeing her in Our You Being Served and she was a hoot in that roll. At least Mrs Slocombe and her pussy will still be able to entertain us in DVD's.

RIP Mollie and thanks entertaining us.

Here goes another one: Mr. Parker from The Pretender. From TV Guide online...

Harve Presnell Dies at 75
Jul 2, 2009 02:32 PM ET
by Adam Bryant

Harve Presnell, the Golden Globe-winning actor best known for his role as William H. Macy's father-in-law in Fargo and who starred in Broadway musicals The Unsinkable Molly Brown and Annie, has died. He was 75.

The actor died Tuesday at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., after a battle with pancreatic cancer, Presnell's agent told the Associated Press.

Born, George Harvey Presnell on Sept. 14, 1933, he was known for his booming baritone voice. The 6-foot-4 actor first gained attention in 1960 as mining prospector "Leadville" Johnny Brown in The Unsinkable Molly Brown. He later reprised the role in the 1964 film version opposite Debbie Reynolds in the title role.

Presnell became a leading man when he was cast as wealthy, bald Daddy Warbucks in a tour of Annie. He continued to play the role in various productions of the musical, including a run on Broadway from 1981-1983. He also played the character in the ill-fated, off-Broadway sequel, Annie Warbucks.

Outside of theater, Presnell was best known on the big screen for his role in the Coen Brothers' 1996 film Fargo, in which he played Macy's father-in-law. Some of his other notable film appearances include When the Boys Meet the Girls (1965), The Glory Guys (1965) and Paint Your Wagon (1969). The Fargo role helped revive his career, leading to roles in Saving Private Ryan and most recently Evan Almighty.

Presnell was also no stranger to the small screen. He was recurring character Mr. Parker on NBC's The Pretender and starred in the short-lived Andy Barker, P.I. He also had a brief arc on Dawson's Creek as A.I. Brooks, an old-Hollywood director and mentor to Dawson.

In 1965, he won the Golden Globe for Most Promising Male Newcomer alongside George Segal and Topol.

He is survived by his second wife, Veeva, six children and several grandchildren.

Wow - I loved that show and always thought Mr. Parker was manipulated by the Centre and not the bad guy you might have thought he was. They are sure dropping in Hollywood, such a sad year.

I was wondering who he was until I saw the thing about Mr. Parker. Now I know who he is. I never watched Fargo.

Actor Karl Malden has died at the age of 97 :( Malden won an Academy Award for his role in A Streetcar Named Desire in 1951. In TV he will be remembered for his role in The Streets of San Francisco.

Malden was also a spokesman for American Express.

Karl Malden dead at the age of 97

Now he was a fantastic actor, everything he was in was better with his performances. Great role in "Birdman of Alcatraz", but 97, long life and I'm sure he will RIP, I'm not familiar with the other stars who are mentioned on here following him~

I saw this on ESPN.com: (I'm paraphrasing)

NFL quarterback Steve McNair and an unidentified woman have been found shot to death in a condo in or around Nashville. No other details are available at this time. Steve McNair was 36.

I saw this on ESPN.com: (I'm paraphrasing)

NFL quarterback Steve McNair and an unidentified woman have been found shot to death in a condo in or around Nashville. No other details are available at this time. Steve McNair was 36.

Yeah, that's what my cousin was telling me earlier. That's a shame. Why are people so cruel to others? I hope they find those responsible and that justice is served.

Former NFL star Steve McNair found dead

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair, whose most noted drive was the final one of the 2000 Super Bowl, was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head Saturday afternoon in a downtown condominium. Police said a woman was also shot dead.

McNair was 36 and played 13 seasons before retiring in April 2008. Police spokesman Don Aaron said officials tentatively identified the woman, but did not release her name. He confirmed she wasn’t McNair’s wife, Mechelle.

He said authorities were still investigating the shootings and that no suspects were in custody.

“I don’t have any answers for you now as to what’s happened, who’s responsible,” Aaron said.

“There are persons who were around the complex today, visitors, who have been taken to headquarters for questioning, just to see what they know, what they may have seen,” he said.

Aaron said officers went to the scene after receiving a call about injured persons inside the condo.

“When police officers arrived in response to that call, they found two individuals who had been shot to death inside the residence,” he said.

The condominium is one that McNair was known to frequent, but police spokeswoman Kristin Mumford said she didn’t know if he was the owner.

About 50 people crowded just beyond police tape outside the complex in the upscale Rutledge Hill neighborhood, some wearing Titans hats. The condominium is located within walking distance of an area filled with restaurants and nightspots, a few blocks from the Cumberland River and within view of the Titans’ stadium.

In June, McNair opened a restaurant near the Tennessee State University campus. It was closed Saturday evening, but had become a small memorial, where flowers, candles and notes had been placed outside the door.

On the restaurant’s windows were messages: “We will miss you Steve” and “We love you Steve.”

A note attached to a small blue teddy bear read, “We will never forget you, Steve. Once a Titan, always a Titan.”

McNair, a four-time Pro Bowler, led the Titans within a yard of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St. Louis Rams. He also played for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring in April 2008.

His most noted drive, the last one in that Super Bowl, came when he led the Titans 87 yards in the final minute and 48 seconds, only to come up a yard short of the tying touchdown. Kevin Dyson caught his 9-yard pass, but was tackled at the 1-yard line by the Rams’ Mike Jones.

McNair accounted for all of Tennessee’s yards in that drive, throwing for 48 yards and rushing for 14. The rest of the yardage came on penalties against the Rams. Before that, he brought the Titans back from a 16-0 deficit to tie the game.

“We don’t know the details, but it is a terrible tragedy and our hearts go out to the families involved,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.
“We are saddened and shocked to hear the news of Steve McNair’s passing today,” Titans owner Bud Adams said in a statement. “He was one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans. He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl.”

“If you were going to draw a football player, the physical part, the mental part, everything about being a professional, he is your guy,” former Ravens and Titans teammate Samari Rolle said. “I can’t even wrap my arms around it. It is a sad, sad day. The world lost a great man today.”

McNair became a nationally known college football star playing for Alcorn State, a Division I-AA school in his home state. His performance in the Southwestern Athletic Conference was so dominant, he became a Heisman Trophy contender and national media flocked to the school in Lorman, Miss., to get look at “Air McNair.” He still holds the Division I-AA (now known as Football Championship Subdivision) records for career yards passing (14,496) and total offense (16,823).

McNair began his NFL career in 1995 with the Houston Oilers, who eventually became the Titans, and finished with 31,304 yards passing and 174 touchdowns. McNair played with pain for several years, and the injuries ultimately forced him to retire.

“On the field, there isn’t player that was as tough as him, especially at the quarterback position,” the Ravens’ Derrick Mason said. “What I have seen him play through on the field, and what he dealt with during the week to get ready for a game, I have never known a better teammate.”

During a five-game stretch at the end of the 2002 season, McNair was so bruised he couldn’t practice. But he started all five games and won them, leading the Titans to an 11-5 finish and a berth in the AFC championship game for the second time in four seasons.

McNair played all 16 games in 2006, his first season in Baltimore, and guided the Ravens to a 13-3 record. But he injured his groin during the season opener last season and never regained the form that put him in those Pro Bowls.

“I am deeply saddened to learn of today’s tragic news regarding the death of Steve McNair. He was a player who I admired a great deal,” said New England Patriots senior football adviser Floyd Reese, who was GM of the Titans when McNair played for them. “He was a tremendous leader and an absolute warrior. He felt like it was his responsibility to lead by working hard every day, no matter what.”

Titans coach Jeff Fisher was out of the country, taking part in the first NFL-USO coaches tour to Iraq.

Ozzie Newsome, Ravens executive vice president and general manager, said he immediately thought of McNair’s four sons.

“This is so, so sad. We immediately think of his family, his boys. They are all in our thoughts and prayers,” he said “What we admired most about Steve when we played against him was his competitive spirit, and we were lucky enough to have that with us for two years. He is one of the best players in the NFL over the last 20 years.”

Ex-Beatles, Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein dies

Story Highlights
  • Allen Klein, who inked contracts for dozens of musicians, dies at age 77
  • Klein's company, ABKCO, built up catalog of copyrights to more than 2,000 songs
  • Known for his tough negotiating style, many blame Klein for the Beatles' break-up
(CNN) -- Music manager Allen Klein, whose clients included the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, died Saturday after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's disease, his publicist said. Klein was 77.

The son of Jewish immigrants from Hungary, Klein founded his firm Allen Klein & Co. in the late 1950s before the label evolved into ABKCO Music & Records in New York. The independent label holds the copyrights to music by the Rolling Stones, Sam Cooke, the Animals, the Kinks, Chubby Checker, Bobby Womack and hundreds of others.

Klein represented dozens of artists, including Sam Cooke, the Animals, Bobby Darin and Herman's Hermits. He changed the music industry when he represented Sam Cooke in negotiations with RCA, winning the artist control of his own master recordings.

Known for a tenacious and often blunt style in negotiations, Klein's greatest coups were inking contracts with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, though both relationships ended in legal battles.
ABKCO built up a catalog of copyrights to more than 2,000 songs, including much of the Stones' 1960s catalog. Klein retained ownership of those titles even after splitting with the Stones.

In 1969, John Lennon persuaded the other Beatles that Klein should take over the group's business affairs, but Paul McCartney resisted the move and some music historians say the appointment hastened the Beatles' split. Lennon later fell out with Klein, who was thought to be the target of the former Beatle's 1974 song "Steel and Glass."

Defending his tough style, Klein told Playboy magazine in 1971: "The music business is about 99 percent no-talent losers who can't stand a winner in their midst."

In 1971, Klein worked with Ringo Starr to organize the "Concert for Bangladesh" at Madison Square Garden, one of the first major benefit concerts of the rock era.

Late in his career, Klein agreed to license a sample of a Rolling Stones song to the British group the Verve for their hit single "Bittersweet Symphony." But after the song was released, ABKCO successfully argued in court that the Verve had used too much of the sample and won 100 percent of the song's royalties.

Klein is survived by his wife Betty, their three children and four grandchildren. Services will be held in New York on Tuesday.

Last edited:
McNamara, defense chief during Vietnam War, dies
Jul 6, 1:04 PM (ET)
By PETE YOST and MIKE FEINSILBER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Robert S. McNamara, the cerebral secretary of defense vilified for his role in escalating the Vietnam War, a disastrous conflict he later denounced as "terribly wrong," died Monday. He was 93.

McNamara died at 5:30 a.m. at his home, his wife Diana told The Associated Press. She said he had been in failing health for some time.

McNamara was fundamentally associated with the Vietnam War, "McNamara's war," the country's most disastrous foreign venture, the only American war to end in abject withdrawal.

Known as a policymaker with a fixation for statistical analysis, McNamara was recruited to run the Pentagon by President John F. Kennedy in 1961 from the presidency of the Ford Motor Co. - where he and a group of colleagues had been known as the "whiz kids." He stayed in the defense post for seven years, longer than anyone since the job's creation in 1947.

French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt dies at 24

AP - Jul 7, 8:59 am EDT Tennis Gallery PARIS (AP)—French tennis player Mathieu Montcourt, who was recently banned for betting on matches, has died. He was 24.

The French tennis federation said Tuesday that Montcourt died overnight but the cause of death is not yet known, and an autopsy will be conducted.

French media reported the 119th-ranked Montcourt was found dead by his girlfriend in the stairwell of his Paris apartment. In May, Montcourt was handed a five-week ban and fined $12,000 for betting on other matches. That ban took effect Monday.

“It is with great sadness that the French tennis federation has learned of the sudden death of Mathieu Montcourt,” the French tennis federation said. “Mathieu was an enthusiastic young man, passionate, very endearing, and extremely appreciated for his kindness and politeness.”

Four-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal, who grew up playing against Montcourt on the junior circuit, said he was shocked by the news.

“This morning I woke up with one of the worst news anyone can receive,” Nadal said on his Web site. “I heard about the death of our friend Mathieu Montcourt. I am still under shock for this. I can’t believe it.”

Montcourt complained during the French Open that the punishment was too harsh, saying that he never bet more than $3 at any time, and never on his own matches—a fact confirmed by the ATP, which oversees the men’s Tour.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said Montcourt had wagered a total of $192 on 36 tennis events in 2005. It reduced his suspension on appeal from eight weeks to five.

The issue of betting in tennis drew increased attention from the sport’s governing bodies after an online bookmaker voided all wagers on a 2007 match involving Nikolay Davydenko. About $7 million was bet—10 times the usual amount for a similar-level match—and most of the money backed Davydenko’s lower-ranked opponent.

Back