The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Dede Allen, 1923 - 2010
by David Hudson

"Dede Allen, the film editor whose seminal work on Robert Rossen's The Hustler in 1961 and especially on Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde in 1967 brought a startling new approach to imagery, sound and pace in American movies, died Saturday," reports Claudia Luther in the Los Angeles Times. "Allen was the first film editor — male or female — to receive sole credit on a movie for her work. The honor came with Bonnie and Clyde, a film in which Allen raised the level of her craft to an art form that was as seriously discussed as cinematography or even directing. 'She was just an extraordinary collaborator, and in the course of editing that film, I came to develop confidence in Dede,' Penn told the Times on Saturday. 'Indeed, she wasn't an editor, she was a constructionist.'"

Allen was 86 and, as Andre Soares notes in the Alternative Film Guide, she was nominated for three Academy Awards for her work on Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon (1975), Warren Beatty's Reds (1981), and Curtis Hanson's Wonder Boys (2000).

Rapper Guru dies from cancer at age 43

NEW YORK (Reuters) – New York-based rapper Guru, of hip hop duo Gang Starr and who had success as a solo artist combining hip hop and jazz in the 1990s, has died after a secret battle with cancer, his promoter Kai Denninger said on Tuesday. He was 43.

Guru, whose real name was Keith Elam, died on Monday, Denniger, of Yo promotions, said via telephone from Germany. He said Guru gave a letter to his friend and New York-based producer Solar to issue to fans.

"I have had a long battle with cancer and have succumbed to the disease. I have suffered with this illness for over a year. I have exhausted all medical options," the rapper, who released a series of four "Jazzmatazz" albums in the 1990s, said in a statement posted on yo-pr.com.

It was not clear what form of cancer Guru had.

The Boston-born rapper also referenced a long-time feud with DJ Premier, who once made up the half Gang Starr, which released six albums between 1989 and 2003.

"I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name likeness, events tributes etc," he said. "I am very proud of what GangStarr has meant to the music world and fans. I equally am proud of my Jazzmatazz series and as the father of Hip-Hop/Jazz."

3 just announced this morning...

========================

TV Comedy Writer Myles Wilder Dies at 77
Apr 27, 2010 11:31 AM ET
by Joyce Eng, TV Guide online

Myles Wilder, the prolific TV comedy screenwriter whose resume includes
such classics as McHale's Navy and The Dukes of Hazzard, has died. He was

Wilder died April 20 from complications of diverticulitis in Temecula,
Calif., according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The son of director W. Lee Wilder and the nephew of Oscar-winning
writer-director Billy Wilder, Wilder got his start by developing, writing
and producing the 1956 NBC series The Adventures of Marco Polo. He joined
the Ernest Borgnine comedy McHale's Navy in 1963, penning 28 episodes and
earning two Emmy nominations during his three-year tenure. Other credits
during that time include The Patty Duke Show, Get Smart, The Flying Nun
and My Three Sons.

In the '70s and '80s, Wilder wrote and produced The Dukes of Hazzard, and
also wrote for The Doris Day Show, The Brady Bunch, The Addams Family,
Welcome Back, Kotter, and Diff'rent Strokes.

Wilder was also in charge of daytime TV at Hanna-Barbera Studios and
developed such animated shows as Inch High, Private Eye and Hong Kong
Phooey.

After retiring in 1989, Wilder moved to Temecula to raise avocados.

He is survived by his wife, Bobbe; their daughter, Kimberly, and her
husband Brynley; grandchildren Olivia and Morgan; and godson Matthew
McGinnis.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Elizabeth Post, etiquette expert, dies at 89
Apr 27, 11:53 AM (ET)

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - Elizabeth Post, who wrote more than a dozen books on
etiquette and was spokeswoman for the Emily Post Institute in Vermont, has
died.

Post's daughter-in-law, Peggy Post, says the the 89-year-old died on
Saturday in Naples, Fla.

Elizabeth Post became the spokeswoman for the Emily Post Institute in 1965
and for decades, wrote a column on manners and etiquette for Good
Housekeeping magazine.

She was the granddaughter-in-law of the country's foremost etiquette
expert, Emily Post.

Elizabeth Post revised the manual "Emily Post's Etiquette" five times,
helping keep it current as social norms have changed since its original
printing in 1922.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Woodsman featured on 'American Loggers' dies at 45
Apr 27, 10:24 AM (ET)

BANGOR, Maine (AP) - A Maine woodsman and skidder operator who had a
supporting role on Discovery Channel's "American Loggers" has died.

The Maine medical examiner's office has confirmed the death Friday night
of David McLaughlin of Milo. He was 45 and had suffered from a severe
diabetic condition.

Rudy Pelletier, co-owner of Gerald Pelletier Inc. in Maine, said the
amiable, hardworking logger was sidelined from time to time because of his
diabetes.

McLaughlin's condition was diagnosed when he was 14, but he maintained a
sense of humor that sometimes came through on the TV series.

"American Loggers" focuses on the Pelletier family's logging operations.
Rudy Pelletier tells the Bangor Daily News that viewers were touched by
McLaughlin's struggles.

Catherine Bach's husband dies in apparent suicide

LOS ANGELES – A successful entertainment attorney who was married to actress Catherine Bach was found dead in an apparent suicide Friday, coroners officials said.

Peter Lopez, 60, died of a gunshot wound at his home in the Encino Hills, coroner's office operations chief Craig Harvey said.

A neighbor reported hearing a shot and someone at the home found Lopez's body, coroners officials said.

Bach and her two daughters suffered a "tragic personal loss," said her publicist, Steve Rohr.

Bach played Daisy Duke in the 1980s TV series "The Dukes of Hazzard."

Lopez was Michael Jackson's music attorney for several years, according to Alfred Newman, a spokesman for the firm Lopez helped found, Kleinberg Lopez Lange Cuddy & Klein. He also represented The Eagles, Andrea Bocelli and Michael Buble.

"We are deeply shocked and saddened by the unexpected loss of our friend and partner," the firm said in a statement.

Lopez worked with singers, record producers and songwriters and was a co-producer of the Jennifer Lopez film "Selena," a biopic about the beloved Tejano singer who was killed by the president of her fan club.

Raymone Bain, Michael Jackson's former general manager, said she hired Peter Lopez in 2006 as Jackson's entertainment attorney when she was reorganizing the singer's business affairs.

"I'd known Peter for 20 years," she said. When she was searching for a new legal team she said another of her clients, R&B singer Babyface, recommended Lopez.

"I can't think of a nicer individual," she said. "He was a good guy. I'm just so shocked."

She said Lopez traveled with her and Jackson to London for the World Music Awards and spoke to the singer quite often.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed Lopez to the California State Athletic Commission, which regulates boxing, and as the director of the California Exposition and State Fair Board.

Lopez attended UCLA Law School.

Side Note: Catherine & Peter were married for 19 yrs. As noted above they have two daughters Sophia Isabella (age 14) & Laura Esmeralda (age 11)

Last edited:
Actress Dorothy Provine Dies
29 April 2010 5:21 AM, PDT
WENN

Actress Dorothy Provine has died after a battle with emphysema.

The star passed away on Sunday at a hospice in Bremerton, Washington at
the age of 75, reports Reuters.

Her career began after she landed the title role in 1958's The Bonnie
Parker Story - just three days after moving from a small town in South
Dakota to Hollywood.

She later went on to star in The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock with Lou
Costello, and played Jack Lemmon's wife in Good Neighbor Sam.

Provine also appeared in 1963 comedy It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World as well
as Live Fast, Die Young and Never a Dull Moment, opposite Dick Van Dyke.

She is survived by her husband, TV director Robert Day.

'As the World Turns' matriarch Wagner dies at 91

NEW YORK – Legendary "As the World Turns" actress Helen Wagner has died. She played mild-mannered Nancy Hughes on the CBS soap opera for more than a half-century. She was 91.

New York-based production company TeleNext Media Inc. says Wagner died Saturday.

It says Wagner spoke the first words on "As the World Turns" when the show premiered on April 2, 1956, and held the Guinness World Record for playing the same role on television for the longest amount of time.

Wagner was born in Lubbock, Texas. The production company hasn't said where she died or what was the cause of her death.

Actress Lynn Redgrave has died at the age of 67 :( She was the youngest child of Sir Michael Redgrave and his wife Rachel Kempson. Lynn Redgrave had been treated for breast cancer in 2003 but no cause of death has been announced. Lynn Redgrave was Natasha Richardson's aunt. Richardson died a year ago in a tragic skiing accident.

Lynn Redgrave has died at age 67

Another legendary great has passed away. Lena Horne has died at the age of 92 :( I didn't realize she was that old. She died in hospital but at the time of the press release no other details were availabe.

Lena Horne dies

I heard this news last night, and although she was way before my time, I do remember seeing some old flicks and how beautiful she was and her great bluesy voice and her awesome so white straight teeth. The clip they showed was her singing "Stormy Weather" wow. 92, she did lead a long wonderful life, and was an activist for the civil rights movement may she RIP~

Son of the Late Dana Plato Commits Suicide

First Joni Richardson endured the death of her daughter-in-law, Diff'rent Strokes star Dana Plato, in 1999. Now almost exactly 11 years later, Plato's son, Tyler Lambert, committed suicide at the age of 25.

"It's a shame that such a talented human being would do this with his life," Richardson tells PEOPLE. "He had all the opportunities in the world and we just can't understand it."

According to Richardson, her grandson, a cameraman and amateur songwriter, had long struggled with his mother's premature death at age 36. Plato died of a prescription pill overdose on May 8, 1999. It was around the time of Mother's Day, Richardson notes, making the anniversary that much harder.

Lambert died of a gunshot wound to the head on May 6. At the time, Richardson claims, he had been experimenting with drugs and alcohol, a factor she believes contributed directly to his death.

"He was talking so sweet to me on the phone that morning," she says. "But you never can tell what's in their mind."

She adds that Lambert's body is being cremated, and there will be no memorial.

"Our lives have just been wrapped around him," Richardson says. "It's just devastating."

In addition to Richardson, Lambert is survived by his father, Larry Lambert, who was granted full custody of his son following his 1990 divorce from Plato.

Ronnie James Dio, solo artist and former vocalist for Black Sabbath, died Sunday (age 67) following a battle with stomach cancer.

^ yeah that was sad...

mine is an old one but it's a singer/lyricist who's been hugely important to me - today is the 30th anniversary of his death; so RIP ian curtis of joy division <3

Report: Actress Murphy's husband found dead

LOS ANGELES – Police say the husband of deceased actress Brittany Murphy has been found dead, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Sgt. Louie Lozano of the Los Angeles Police Department tells the paper that screenwriter Simon Monjack was found dead Sunday night at his home in the Hollywood Hills.

Lozano says that the cause of death was still unknown as of late Sunday and officers were still at the scene investigating.

The report comes five months after the death of his wife. The Los Angeles County coroner's office ruled that Murphy died of pneumonia complicated by an iron deficiency, anemia and multiple drug intoxication.

Coroner's officials say Murphy had gone into sudden cardiac arrest because of "drug intake," and her Dec. 20 death was classified as an accident.

Los Angeles police spokesman couldn't be immediately reached for comment early Monday.

Back