The Random Facts Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Not all :p LOL, I guess that's just average from all milk and cows what is on earth :p

Actually, cow has 4 stomachs.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Nanotechnology has produced a guitar no bigger than a blood cell. The guitar, 10 micrometers long, has six strummable strings.

The Kiwi, national bird of New Zealand, can't fly, lives in a hole in the ground, is almost blind and lays only one egg each year. Yet is has survived for 70 million years.

Americans spend six times as much on home video games ($5.5 billion) as they do on school library materials for their children.

(Here's one for Cat)
    Domestic cats, long considered a reservoir for H. pylori, the bacterium that causes most ulcers, have been given a clean bill of health by recent studies.

(Here's one for Grissom)
    The evolution of social life in ants and termites has been accompanied by an extraordinary royal perk -- a 100-fold increase among queen ants in average maximum lifespan, with some queens surviving for almost 30 years. This longevity can be attributed in part to the sheltered and pampered life of the royal egg layer.

The bathroom medicine cabinet is one of the worst places to keep medicines. The heat and moisture of the bathroom are just the conditions required to alter medication chemistry, making them weaker and possibly ineffective, and in some cases, toxic. A cool dry area away from sunlight and children is optimal.

The largest Great White Shark ever caught measured 37 feet and weighed 24,000 pounds. It was found in a herring weir in New Brunswick in 1930. The harmless Whale Shark, holds the title of largest fish, with the record being a 59 footer captured in Thailand in 1919.

Men who donate blood have a 30% reduced risk of heart disease compared to those who do not. The difference is attributed to reduced levels of iron following blood donation.

When you tell a cow a joke, does milk spurt out its nose?

Imagine a Spike CSI one-day marathon.

One keeps tickling my neck. Darn little bugger.

3. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Great idea wibble :)
    about what you said in the first post:
    - thats one of the main reasons they study decomposition of humans by using pigs as models.

*Red heads make up only 4% of the world's population

*Red heads need 20% more anasthetia during surgery

*Aspartame sweeteners contain 10% methanol (VERY HARMFUL to the body - stop drinking Diet Cokes!)

*Sulfur is a very important molecule because it exists in 2 of the 20 Amino Acids: Methionine and Cysteine

4. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

Europeans eat an average of 25 kilos of fish a year, that's a lot compared to the world's average of 16 kilos of fish.

5. heartagram69

heartagram69 Head of the Swing Shift

i hate fish!

the kangaroo and emu are the only 2 animals that cant walk backwards, hense the reason they are next to the aussie coat of arms

6. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

me too, and I'm European :p

7. drkate

drkate Corpse

hmm... i don't really know that many random facts... other than this..

the ancient greeks had a goddess of door hinges... i forgot her name though.. i think it may have started with an A.

8. IHeartEric

IHeartEric Coroner

Remind me not to get a Lion bar out of the Vending machines at college then. :lol: I don't want to die!

9. heartagram69

how does one die from a vending machine, LOL, it falling on u wouldnt kil u... would it?

10. drkate

drkate Corpse

well... vending machines are pretty heavy, so i guess they would... i dunno... maybe if it fell on you it could break a rib and then the rib could puncture a lung and then you could die!!!!!!

11. Cat

Cat Head of the Swing Shift

See, i told you i wasn't the cause for your ulcer! :p

12. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

lol i wanna die the death of a vending machine victim :lol: what will people say at your funeral? :lol:

Cells move as long as the temperature is above 0 degrees Kelvin ( -273 C ).

13. heartagram69

thats like... kold!

there are only 3 words in the english language that dont rhyme with anything else, silver, purple and orange, ironically they are all colours!

14. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

:lol: whoa! i'm gonna make it my personal job to find words that DO rhyme with them i'll keep you posted :lol:

15. heartagram69

lol, there arent any that are real words