The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I guess there are lots of questions to ask here for both your indoor guys and Snow Kitty.

1) How do your indoor guys like having Snow Kitty hanging around the house?

2) Do you have a sealed room where you could try introducing the cats gradually to each other?

3) Are your indoor guys pretty laid back or are they feisty?

4) How has Snow Kitty been with being confined to the garage?

I have to wonder with the fact that Snow Kitty is using the litter is if he was someone's indoor cat at one point. How old is Snow Kitty and is he neutered. If he's not that old and not neutered my bet is that he was someone's pet who got dumped because he was needing to be fixed.

I wonder if you do bring Snow Kitty in would he rather stay in the house or will he want to go out. If you're concerned about this issue you may find that if he was someone's indoor pet who got dumped he may want to stay indoors rather than go out. If he's not that old of a cat you may be able to get him to see that being inside is healthier for him.

Claws vs no claws. Our home cats have no claws and claws. Oliver, the oldest, has no front claws. The two girls, Tuppence and Riley do have their claws. The 3 of them get along well. We have plenty of well placed scratching posts around the house for the girls to use and our furniture and carpets are all intact. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to de-clawing a cat. You have to do what's best for you, your cats and your house.

If you want to talk more about this off-line Smokey we can try and set something up for a Yahoo chat :)

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Cricket sniffs at him at the screen door and seems fine...well, Cricket is a little "slow" sometimes. :lol: I'm not sure he'd like it, but he doesn't seem ready to fight.

Ellie on the other hand does not like seeing him even through the glass. She tries to fight him through the window, and when that fails she turns on Cricket. Nothing serious, but she has a quick go at him.

The garage seems to work well, although it presents a problem when I want to move the car in and out of there. I have to put him in the carrier then, and the noise of the door/car seems to upset him.

Otherwise, I could seal off the office upstairs for him, but I'd have to move the other cats' litter box out of there temporarily.

Laid back most of the time, and they rarely interact with each other. As I said, Ellie is the one that gets riled up when she sees another cat outside.

He seemed totally fine with it. He was never scratching at the door to get out or anything. When I would go in to see him he was always lying on his bed.

I'm sure he must have been an indoor cat. He took to the litter box right away. And he LOVES to get on my lap and snuggle.

I'm pretty sure he's either a female or a neutered male. This is just an educated guess from rooting around under there! :lol:

I was just sure he would go crazy in the garage wanting out. But he didn't. And this morning when I put him back outside, he really, really wanted back in. :( That's what makes me even more determined to make this work. Even tho I know for a fact he's been outside for at least a year, I'm sure he's been an inside cat and would prefer that.

I'm not so much concerned about furniture as I am the scrapping between the cats if they don't get along. Is just trimming the nails effective? Or what about those little covers you can put over the nails?

Thanks for all of the help! :)

3. Jacquie

^^^

why is it always the females that cause the problems :lol: :rolleyes:

Our Riley is the possessive one when it comes to her back deck and other animals :lol:

It sounds like Ellie may have some initial problems but I'm sure once she's straightened out Snow Kitty there shouldn't be too many issues. Riley and Tuppence still go at it every once in awhile and they've been together for over 5 years now.

I've never used the covers to put on the nails. I don't think Riley would mind so much but Tuppence would definitely have a problem :wtf: Just say she has a 'tortitude' :) I do trim the front nails every 2-4 weeks so that does keep things under control.

4. Smokey

Well, just kind of venting here, but if anyone has some words of wisdom, by all means share! :)

I have had Snow Kitty in the garage for a couple of days now. I have decided to stop letting him into the house (with the other cats locked up) until we see the vet next week because the last time I had him out he really fought me going back in.

So now when I try to go in or out of the garage, he really, really tries to get out. :( I spend a lot of time in there with him. We play with toys and he snuggles on my lap. He has his outdoor house in there plus some other rugs/towels/fleece to lay on...even a sweatshirt of mine from the laundry with my scent on it.

I just feel so bad, like I'm holding him hostage in there. Will he be okay? Or can he go crazy in there? We see the vet next Wednesday. And this weekend if it's nice out I plan to let him back outside for a little bit.

5. Smokey

Still talking to myself here. :lol: But an update...I have moved Snow Kitty to the upstairs computer room. He seems quite at home there. It's much better than the garage for me too, because I can spend more time in there with him, or should I say...more comfortable time in there. :)

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow afternoon. Big day! We will find out if he really is a "he" or not and if he/she needs fixing or not. He will get his shots and his tests and his flea medicine (some for Ellie and Cricket now too, unfortunately) and we will talk about the claw issue.

After tomorrow is done, then we are on our way to the next step which is to phase him into the house with the other cats! :)

6. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

7. Smokey

Beautiful cat, Blackflag! :) Funny...I tend to call Snow Kitty "Snowy" a lot of the time. :)

Well, the big news is that he's a she! :lol: She is healthy, about 3 years old, and not spayed. So I got her all of her shots and have to take her back for boosters and to get fixed.

She is still living in her room upstairs and seems perfectly happy there. I am not going to try to introduce her to the other cats until after she's fixed. That's what the vet recommended. And I still have the claw issue to decide. But right now she's happy to have playtime with me and her toys and stay in her room. :)

8. Jacquie

blackflag, Socks is a real cutie :)

Smokey, I glad to hear that Snow Kitty is quite content where she is. It sounds like you won't have to deal with her wanting out when she's free to roam the house. How are Ellie and Cricket doing with her in the house even if she's separated from them.

9. Smokey

Well, she does like it when I open the window upstairs. She likes to sit and feel the outdoors. I hope she won't want outside later.

Ellie doesn't seem to know anything is up. Part of it might be because she can't smell her because of her constantly stuffy nose. Cricket knows something's going on, but he's such a goof that he can't figure it out. :lol: Snow Kitty will be pawing at the door and Cricket's looking at it like he wonders what's going on, and then her paw comes under the door and he jumps and runs away. :lol: I'm like, it's a CAT PAW! You don't recognize a cat paw? :lol:

10. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Socks seems real interested in todays weather! Me, I could deal without 20" of snow. I can also deal without my little Socksy kitten chewing through the telephone cord! :wtf:

Susan

11. Jacquie

maybe she was trying to make a long distance call :D

This is Trevor one of our customers. We got some new treats in that we've been trying out to see if the dogs would like them. Trevor loves them :) We got a supply of them in today and like most of the stuff from this company we put the over stock at the bottom of the rack and it's usually no problem until today. Trevor helped himself to the package that you see in his mouth. Trevor's owner could not get them out of his mouth :lol: We let Trevor have the treats. The over stock of this particular treat has been moved so Trevor and his other canine friends can't 'help' themselves to any more treats :lol:

12. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Randomly jumping into this thread but I had to talk about what happened today. :lol: My brother's guinea pig died a few weeks ago (quite randomly, she wasn't even two years old yet but she just got really sick and died through the night) so today we happened to be at the mall where there's a pet store. My brother wanted a guinea pig and they had three little babies there. So, he got this cute dark brown guinea pig with like cowlicks all over it. It's so cute. We were driving home but had to stop at a Tim Hortons because my mom had to go to the bathroom, and we left my brother and the guinea pig in the car. When we came out, my brother was like "no don't come in IT GOT OUT!"

-_- We looked all over for this dumb guinea pig in the car, we didn't open any doors or anything. Eventually we had to leave because we couldn't just stand there in the parking lot looking for it. We were really careful opening the car doors and getting in so we didn't squish it if it got under out feet and my brother watched my gas and break pedals while I was driving home just in case. When we got home, we looked and looked for it and couldn't find it, when my dad got home he helped us look for it too and we STILL couldn't find it. But it was practically impossible that it got out.

My mom and I had to go to work, and when we got home my dad told us that they found it but it had died (he's really mean) but we could pretty much tell he was joking. So we went upstairs and sure enough the thing is in its cage all nice and warm. It was up almost under my dashboard in this little random spot where it was able to squish itself in.

SO meet WINSTON, brattiest guinea pig ever. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Hey everyone:

Tonight I had to put my best friend to sleep.

Squeakers (the calico)was 17 years old. I got her when she was six weeks old. She was a foster kitten through the Toronto Humane Society. She was so sweet and so precious to me. She's been with me through thick and thin.

There will never be another one like her.:(

14. Smokey

Again, Sandra, so sorry about Squeakers. But boy, she sure had a long and wonderful life with you! And you took care of her right to the very end....the hardest part but one of the most important things we pet owners have to do.

15. Jacquie

myfuturecsi, I'm sorry to hear about Squeakers :( You gave her a good life. She's now passed over The Rainbow Bridge and will be watching over you. R.I.P. Squeakers.