The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Karlia I do hope you get the red one. I love red/orange tabbies. They usually are gentle giants. Be prepared for a large cat. Our oldest one Oliver is an orange tabby :)

I love the pic of Pixie there allmaple :) I love the bed. You know you've been around the pet industry alone time when you start recognizing the merchandise that your store sells :lol:

2. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

I'm so sorry! It's always so hard to loose your loved one. My thoughts are with you and your family! :(

ETA: The red one is def in my main focus right now, however, I got offered a little Russian blue girl. I have kind of dilemma now. But the shelter lady who was supposed to get back to me about the red one ticks me off. It should be her priority to find good homes for those cats and she expects me to do everything. I would have to drive over 150 kilometers to get her. And not sure if I have time nor money to do that just because she refuses to meet the half way.

The Russian Blue is 20 minutes away from me.

3. Jacquie

That's hard when people won't meet you have way on something like that :scream: The Russian Blue sounds nice as well :) You'll make the right choice for yourself and for the cats :)

4. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

Kitten saga continues.

Update: Blue is gone.
    Now using another shelter. Maybe I will get lucky! They actually deliver the cats which is good.

5. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

Kitten saga continues:
    4rth cat who is given away despite of my reserve. Not sure if I can go through this again. They have that pick-and-go system apparently. Which is not fair!

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

oh my goodness! what is the point of reserving a kitten if they just give it away to someone else? :( im sure you will get your kitties soon enough.

i only have about a week left with my kitties, and i want to keep them all! :lol: cuddy is being such a brat though. she keeps jumping up on the counters. yesterday she knocked over a plate that smashed into a million pieces (side note: corelle? shatter proof dishes my butt!) hopefully the noise of that will scare her off the counter for a while. and her favourite place to sit at night is in the front window. we have bars on the window (pretty much every place in grenada does) so she sits between the screen and the bars. last night after i put the kittens in the spare room for the night i went to get cuddy, but she wouldnt come out of the window! the bars are just small enough that i cant really grab her and pull her through. and she just stared at me as if she was saying "haha! you cant get me!" so i just went in the kitchen and banged a plate, she came running :lol: silly kitty...

7. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

8. Jacquie

She is beautiful :) I'm glad you finally got your cat :)

9. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

All your talk about kittens and cats made me wanna get my own cat. I used to have one, and my parents still have three cats. The problem is that I have rats, so I can't get any cats. As they are predators and still have their instincts even if the cats nowadays are tame.

By the way, Kyra is really cute :)

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

my pixie cat was afraid of my rats! when i brought them home during school breaks or some weekends she would stare at the cage, and then run away when one of the rats came to look at her! i even held them up for pixie to see (the rats didnt care, they just sat there) and pixie ran away. now, this is a 5 pound cat that took on a 120 pound alaskan malamute and won and a one pound rat scared her! i never let them run around when pixie was near by though.

although i guess it is better safe than sorry if you do not know how the cat will react.

11. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

okay the first night wasn't very eventful, some crazy running then silence then restless cuddles. She didn't know how to settle down in the bed so she kept walking around and chewing my hair. Then she finally laid down and I had to hold her paw the whole time from 5.30 to 8 am...then she left and brought me her fav toy string.

12. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

allmaple:

It's exactly how I thought. Better safe than sorry, I mean. My parents take care of my rats sometimes when I go away. Whenever I travel and am going to be away for a couple of days or longer than that. As I said earlier, they have three cats. Two of them ignore the rats. One of them is really afraid of them and always run away. But the third cat, she hunts everything she can. From small rodents like mice, but even small birds sometimes.

I have been told that I can always get a kitten as they are still young enough to learn that they should leave the rats alone. But I cannot get an adult cat who is used to get out and most likely hunts. The problem is that I would like to adopt a cat, if I ever get one. Almost all animals/pets I have (or have had) have been adopted from animal care/adoption centres as the animals used to be homeless and now looking for a new home. It's mainly adults, barely no kittens. It's nothing wrong with getting a kitten from a breeder. I just wanna help the cats by adopting one or maybe two.

So for now, it's better safe than sorry.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

tonight is my last night with the kittens :( i have them on the bed while i study and they are fast asleep. momma cat likes to sit in the front window but she will get plenty of hugs before i take her to the shelter in the morning. i am glad it is a no kill shelter, but i still feel bad since most animals are adopted by students and they are all leaving for christmas. the poor things will have to spend all day in cages now. at least they had a good start with me, but i know i will probably start bawling when i hand them over tomorrow :( i will post new pictures of them when i get home to canada, havent uploaded them yet. they got so big so fast!! i think my memory card is almost full with just cat pictures :lol:

14. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Our dog is turning 15 in February, so that makes her more than a centenarian in human years. She has gone senile, can't see very well, has gone deaf and has become slow in her movements. The hardest thing is that she used to be house-trained but now, she's incontinent. We're actually thinking of putting her in doggie diapers. This is the first time that we're taking care of a geriatric pet. It gets a bit challenging at times.

15. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Well, I actually thought it would be enough having a bunch of rats. But I saw a distusting advert and felt sorry for the animals. It were 3 guinea pigs and one rabbit who lived in the same cage as the guinea pigs. So I went to get them today. I chose to get seperate cages though. One for the rabbit (a male one), and another female guinea pigs. As they weren't treated well in their previous home, I will make sure they will get a better time with me as new owner.