The Life & Times of Sara Sidle

Thank you all! It means a lot to me! Here's the next part:

November 3, 1984- 3:54 pm

Sara woke up when she felt her hand being lifted up and a rubber glove being slipped onto it. She poked her eyes open and smiled when she saw Josh still trying to slip it on.

"What're you doing?"

He jumped and then started laughing. "You know, you would make one fine scientist," he said with a smile taking the glove off and helping her get the plastic goggles off.

She laughed and then cleared her throat. "So...uh...these are from your science class?"

He smiled. "Yeah, but I think they look a lot better on you."

She blushed a little and he just laughed. "So...uh, how're you feeling?"

She blinked. "Uh...okay, I guess..a little tired, but okay."

"How's your head?"

"Sore."

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yes, quit worrying about me."

He smiled. "I'm sorry, it's kind of hard to do..."

She put a hand on his shoulder. "Thanks."

He just nodded. He rubbed her head gently where the bump was a felt it under his fingers.

She sighed. "I...don't know what's going to happen at school tomorrow..."

He smiled. "Don't worry about it- anyone comes near you and I'll kick their ass."

She laughed. "Don't hurt them too much."

"Aww man..."

She playfully punched him in the arm and he laughed.

"So...when are you going home?" she asked.

"Whenever you go home."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not leaving you."

She smiled. "Thank you Josh, really."

"No problem, besides, if I went home now Dad would probably be making me practice my pitches or something."

The doctor walked into the room. "Sara, how are you feeling?"

She shrugged. "Good, I guess."

"Good, you can leave soon. Your parents are coming. We can redress your head and then you can leave when they come."

He walked out and Josh noticed Sara flinch when he said it.

"You okay?"

She blinked. "Oh, yeah...uh...I'm used to people telling me the people who took me into foster care are my parents..."

He nodded. "Well, uh...I'll walk you to school tomorrow."

She smiled. "Okay."

"Okay, so uh...I'll help you with your dressing."

She smiled. "Okay, if you want to, I mean it's not the most exciting job in the world-"

"Just let me do it," he said with a grin and went to the bland-colored counter in the white room. He opened up a drawer looking for the bandages.

"Second drawer on the right."

He blinked when he heard Sara tell him which drawer was in everything, but he opened it and sure enough there they were.

"I've had a lot of experience with hospitals," she told him as he brought the items back over to her bed.

"Alright, uh..." he grabbed the edge of the old dressing on her head and slowly peeled it off. She winced as he did it, but she reassured him that he wouldn't get it off without hurting her a little bit, so for him not to worry about it. He peeled the rest of it off and started dabbing the bump on her forehead with a cotton swab.

"Looks like it bled a little," he muttered, anger growing in his tone.

"Are you mad?"

"Not at you, at the people who did this."

"Really, Josh, it's okay."

"No, I'm going to find out who did this."

He wiped the dry blood from her forehead and began snipping the bandages off of the roll with the pair of scissors found in the drawer. He put a gauze under the bandage before wrapping it in the bandage and fixing it securely but gently on her forehead.

"Thanks," Sara said.

"No problem."

"Sara!"

They both jumped when they noticed her foster parents running into the room with concerned looks on their faces. "Are you okay? Oh god, what happened?"

"I just fell...it was just an accident during PE."

Her foster parents were looking her over for any other injuries other than the ugly bruise on her forehead. Nancy was searching the rest of her head like a monkey.

"If you are sure you're alright, then we're not going to argue," Ted said.

Nancy looked at Josh. "And who is this?"

"Uh...this is Josh, he's a friend from school."

"Nice to meet you, Josh," Ted said grabbing his hand and shaking it. Nancy did the same. They both noticed the roll of bandages in front of him and the other items. "Did you dress her head?"

He nodded.

"Thank you."

Nancy turned to Sara. "We should get you home."

"Oh, but-"

She looked at Josh who only shook his head. "Go home. You need to rest."

She smiled. "Thanks." She turned to Ted and Nancy again. "Alright, I'm ready." They helped her get up and put both arms behind her for support which she normally would've protested to, but seeing how dizzy she was at the moment she was not about to argue.

"So...is Josh-" Nancy started but Sara interrupted her.

"He's just a friend."

"Right-"

"He is."

She smiled as she helped Sara into the car and they drove off in their white '85 Volvo. In the car, Sara sat staring at the ripped seat in front of her while she played around with string of hair. She twirled it around her finger as she closed her eyes thinking about Josh. She smiled to herself. She never thought she would've met someone as nice as he was, but she finally did and things seemed to be looking up for Sara Sidle.

Outside it was raining and she stared at the small droplets that made their way down the window until they were out of sight. The rain was strangely calming. Sara never thought she would be calmed by rain since whenever she heard it when she was younger, a fight was breaking out outside her bedroom door.

She shook her head trying to forget everything and just rid herself of those thoughts. They were over. She had to accept that it was over and that it was time to move on. She had a life ahead of her and a great friend and she wasn't about to let her past keep her from living her life.

As they turned a corner, she looked across the street to see a liquor store and she closed her eyes rubbing her head. She was getting a headache. As much as she tried to get the thoughts out of her head, the more they came flooding back and the more vibrant the images were. She grimaced as the smell of cheap whiskey and brandy filled her nostrils and she covered her nose as they passed the store. It was strange how much it looked like the one her father used to frequent; the same shade of paint, same font on the sign, same barred windows...it was haunting.

She hadn't even realized that she had gotten home until her foster parents were knocking on her window telling her to get out of the car. She blinked and opened the door as she stepped out and Nancy held an umbrella over her to shield her from the rain. She thanked them as they made their way into the house.

As soon as she got inside, she went to her room. She had been forbidden to take a shower that night and to let the dressing stay on her head undisturbed. She closed the door to her room behind her and sat on her bed. Her headache was going away, but now she could barely keep her eyes open, which was surprising to her since she had just had so much sleep at the hospital. She looked at her reflection in the window above her bed and almost laughed when she saw the faint marks the plastic goggles Josh had put on her had left around her eyes.

She laid down on her bed and wrapped the blankets around herself warming herself up. The warmth was very welcoming; it had been cold outside and the rain didn't help either. She closed her eyes as she laid her head down on her pillow, her hair slightly wet from the outside moisture. She winced slightly as pressure was put on the bump on her forehead, but she shook it off and tried to fall asleep.

Now, she had only one problem- making sure Josh didn't kill whoever gave her the nasty bump on her head. She laughed a little- he really did care about her, and she cared about him. She had never felt this way about someone before, so it was a bit confusing. Her bilogical parents weren't really parent material, and her foster parents weren't really her real parents, so she never really felt loved. And then there was her brother, Daniel- he was always hanging out with his friends and yelling at Sara for interrupting him while he was hanging out with them (which Sara found out why once she discovered the marijuana under his bed) to ask for help on her homework. It was safe to say her relationship with her brother when he turned 18 was almost non-existent.

But now, Josh had grown to play a bigger role in her life than before. He was no longer the annoying wannabe-jock who followed her around on his skateboard never giving her a moment of peace. Now he was the nice caring brother she never really had.

And that was good enough for her.

ahhh this is great! sara needs more people in her life like that- you should let Josh mess around with the kids who pushed her, just for a little bit.. not too much trouble from him tho! lol :D

Back