The Life & Times of Sara Sidle

Next part- in this part at the end is the song 'Tonight' by Elton John. I do not own anything!

September 16 11:26 pm

Sitting with her knees up to her chest, she stared at the ground in front of her. The flashing lights and the ringing sirens no longer existed- she was somewhere else at some other time. She already knew her father was dead- the lifeless look in his eyes, the paleness of his skin. She felt as thought something was missing inside of her, yet she wasn't so sure it was her father. In a way, she felt relieved, but she also had a strong feeling of remorse.

As the EMTs wheeled her father's body out of the house, she watched them, blankly- they looked at her and when they noticed that her gaze had gone from them to the body. They quickly covered it up, and led him to the ambulance quickly.

Looking toward the police officers, she could tell they were both holding back the urge to empty their stomachs and also debating on what to do with her. She was a witness, after all.

"Sara?"

Sara looked up to see a woman walking over to her. She had long black hair and brown eyes, and she was very well-dressed. She kneeled down beside her. Sara was wondering how she even knew her name.

"Hi, my name is Gina."

Sara just stared at her.

"Um...are you hurt?"

Sara didn't say anything again. Was this even real, was this really happening?

The woman put a hand on her shoulder and that was when she noticed the bruises on the girl's arms. She could only imagine what she would find underneath her clothing. "We're going to take you to the hospital, okay?"

She just nodded as the woman helped her up and led her to a car. The woman helped her inside the backseat and an officer walked past them to the police chief.

"So, what's going on with the kid?"

"Child Services is taking her to the hospital."

"Alright, we'll check up with them later."

Sara could no longer hear the conversation going on as the back door was closed and the woman got in the driver's side of the car. She started the car, putting the key in the ignition and backed up before starting off.

"So...where do you go to school?"

The woman was trying to make conversation. This was understandable; she was trying to lighten the mood, but Sara could never forget that her mother stabbed her father to death the day of her birthday.

"Mountain Peak Middle School."

That was the first time the woman had heard her speak. She nodded as she stopped at a street-light. "You have any friends?"

Sara looked at the rear-view mirror in the car. The woman was staring at her. "No."

The woman nodded, now realizing she had very much indeed not just lightened the mood, she just brought up more bad memories.

"Well, we're here."

The woman parked at the hospital and opened her door, stepping outside and opening the back door, helping Sara up. Sara grabbed the woman's hand, squeezing it tightly. The woman put a hand on her shoulder before looking into her eyes. "Ready?"

She just nodded as the woman led her into the hospital and she took a seat in a chair. The woman walked up to the front desk and showed the receptionist her business card.

"I'm with Child Services. There's been a murder tonight, I need this little girl," she pointed to Sara. "Checked up immediately."

The woman nodded. "We'll get a room set up right away. The wait should only be a few minutes."

"Thank you."

Gina walked over to where Sara was sitting. She had her arms folded over in her lap and her head was lowered. Gina sat down next to her and put a hand on her back. "I'm sorry."

Sara turned to look at the woman, and the woman saw the drying streaks of tears running down her face.

A nurse walked into the room with a clipboard in her hand. "We're ready."

September 17, 1984- 12:03 am- County Hospital

Sara had changed into the thin hospital gown, and she now sat on top of the small bed in the room. Gina sat in the chair next to her. Sara was sitting with her legs crossed. Now, her injuries were more noticeable, and the woman grimaced every time she saw a flash of purple or blue on the girl's pale skin.

A doctor walked in the room. "We're going to need to take some photographs of your injuries."

Sara just nodded as the doctor led her into another room. The small opening in the back of the white gown revealed a purple bruise forming around Sara's left side, and the woman from Child Services had to look away.

September 17, 1984- 9:23 am- County Hospital

Sara woke up squinting at the sunlight pouring into the room. She sat up and yawned a little, observing her surroundings. The events of the night before came flooding back to her, and she hugged her knees once again. The door opened and the same doctor from before walked in.

"Sara, we're going to need you to change into these clothes before you leave."

The doctor handed her a t-shirt and some jeans. He noted that she had no shoes and he walked out of the room before coming back in with a pair of sneakers.

She nodded as she took the clothes. The doctor left the room giving her some privacy as she changed. She slipped the sneakers on after putting the jeans on- they were quite a few sizes too big for her, as were the sneakers. The t-shirt was also much too big for her, but it was all she had. She got up from the bed and opened the door. Gina, the woman from Child Services, was waiting outside and she led Sara out of the hospital.

In the parking lot, the woman led her to her sedan.

"I'm going to be put in Foster Care, aren't I?" Sara asked.

The woman sighed, but nodded slowly. "Yes."

Sara lowered her head and silently got in the car. She closed the door and rested her head on the head-rest of the seat.

The woman got in the car, and as they drove along the highway, the woman tried again to make her feel better. "They're a nice family, your foster parents."

Sara didn't care if they were the nicest parents in the world, they weren't her parents, and they would never love her like a real family would.

"They've wanted a child for a long time."

Sara sighed and just slowly nodded. As the cars on the highway sped past the tiny sedan, thoughts raced through her mind.

What's going to happen now? Mom killed Dad. Everyone's going to think I'm a demon spawn. My mother's a killer. I'm the daughter of a cold-blooded killer. What am I going to do?

Silent tears fell down her face and angry tears fell down her face.

We might not have been a perfect family, but now I'm all alone...

It was an ironic scenario- she wanted to run away so badly, but now that one of them was gone, she was grieving.

Daniel could care less about what happens to me now that he's left. Mom's going to jail, and Dad's dead.

As they arrived at her new home, she stepped outside, getting ready to face her new family.

All she ever wanted was for someone to love her.

Tonight

Do we have to fight again

Tonight

I just want to go to sleep

Turn out the light

But you want to carry grudges

Nine times out of ten

I see the storm approaching

Long before the rain starts falling

Tonight

Does it have to be the old thing

Tonight

It's late, too late

To chase the rainbow that you're after

I'd like to find a compromise

And place it in your hands

My eyes are blind, my ears can't hear

And I cannot find the time

Tonight

Just let the curtains close in silence

Tonight

Why not approach with less defiance

The man who'd love to see you smile

Who'd love to see you smile

Tonight

November 2, 1984

Sara had been living with her foster parents for almost a month now. They were fairly nice people, but Sara felt out of place. They weren't her real parents, they weren't the people who took her home from the hospital after she was born. They weren't the people who told her stories every night when she was little.

At this moment, Sara was just getting up to get ready for school. School was going to be something- how would she be able to face everyone again? She didn't know how it would happen, but she assumed everyone would know about her mother killing her father.

She rolled out of her small twin bed and headed over to her closet. She slid the door open yawning, and she took out a long-sleeved t-shirt and a pair of long jeans. She grabbed a pair of shoes from the closet, fixing the laces and slipping them on her feet. They were too big for her, so she tightened the laces and tied them in double-knots. She sat up and looked at herself in the tiny mirror positioned on her wall. She ran her fingers through her hair and pulled out a small hair brush from the drawer in her dresser and began brushing her hair. A nauseaous feeling was growing in her stomach and she tried the best she could to hold back the bile forming in her throat.

After she was done brushing her hair, she grabbed her small backpack from the corner of her bedroom. She slowly cracked her door open and made her way down the hallway to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and went into the kitchen. Her foster mother was fixing breakfast.

"Good morning, Sara."

Sara nodded as she walked over to the bar and took an apple from the fruit bowl. She washed it off and took a bite of it before heading for the front door.

"Aren't you going to eat?"

"I grabbed an apple."

Nancy (her foster mother) frowned. "I swear, you need to get more meat on your bones."

"Could we talk about this later?"

She sighed. "Alright. Have a nice day at school."

I'm sure I will.

She walked out of the house holding her backpack by its straps and took another bite of her apple. She grimaced as its horrid taste filled her mouth.

"It's rotten," she muttered and walked over to the trash can outside and threw it away. She sighed as she headed off to school.

And thus Sara Sidle made her way to school.

Her foster parents, Nancy and Ted, had no idea what school was for Sara, or what happened to her when she went. Sara could only imagine what would happen during PE. The jocks would most likely 'accidentally' hit the baseball in her direction, and it would 'accidentally' hit her in the head, knocking her unconscious for about an hour or two.

The familar sound of a skateboard made Sara flinch. She turned around and saw none other than Joshua Deckard skating toward her.

"Hey Sidle."

She twitched when he said her last name. "Josh." She acknowledged him.

"Sup?"

"Sup? What does it look like 'sup? I'm walking to school."

He skated over to her side. "Uh-huh...well, I heard about what happened to your father, and--"

"Please don't start."

"I was just going--"

"Spare me, I'm in for enough as it is at school."

"I was just going to say I'm sorry. If you need anything, you know where to find me, right?"

Sara was a bit shocked- did he just say that? She could only nod as he put a hand on her shoulder and then skated ahead of her. For once in her life, Sara Sidle felt as though she had made a friend.

As soon as she stepped onto school grounds, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She lowered her head and stared at her feet as she walked. Eyes were latching onto her- she couldn't see them, but she could feel them. She made it to her locker and looked up.

On her locker in blue spray paint was 'MURDERER'. She closed her eyes and sighed before opening her locker and grabbing a few books. She ignored the occasional shoves and obscenities that were aimed at her. She put her lunch in her locker and closed it, heading for her first class.

She took a seat in the back of her history class. Everyone was looking at her- even her teacher. She cleared her throat as she opened her notebook and took out a pencil, taking notes on the next assignment. PE was in two hours. What would happen?

Don't think about it, don't think about it, don't think about it...

She groaned as the bell rang and she went to her next class. Her classes went by incredibly fast because she was dreading PE. She didn't know what she was going to do when they got out on the court- she knew what those kids were capable of.

"Sidle."

She looked up to see her science teacher looking at her. "Yes?"

"You're going to be late for PE."

She closed her eyes, lowering her head. She got up and gathered her things. "Thank you..."

She walked out of the classroom into the girl's locker room. Unfortunately, there were girls in there already, and they were going to do everything in their power to put her down.

"So, Sidle..." She had just sat down in front of her locker on the bench in the locker room when Melissa Wellingstone walked over to her.

"What?"

"I heard your family fell apart."

She didn't say anything.

"On your birthday..." She shook her head. "If you really even want to call what your relationship was with your parents a 'family'."

"My life is none of your business."

"I suppose not, but uh..." she stood up. "You know, my parents don't like the idea of me coming to school with the daughter of a murderer."

"That's too bad for your parents then, huh?" Sara said slipping on her tennis shoes.

"At least my parents love me."

This made Sara freeze in her tracks. "What...did you just say?"

This made the girl grin. "I said..."

Sara had now completely turned around and a tiny flame of anger was growing larger by the second.

"'At least my parents love me'."

Sara lost it. She lunged at the girl and now she had the girl up against the locker. "You listen to me- you ever say anything about my family again and you're going to regret it, you hear me?"

The girl laughed. "Are you supposed to be scary?"

Sara's knuckles had turned white and she was holding back the powerful urge to punch the girl right in the face.

"You're really scaring me, Sidle."

She laughed and Sara glared at her with one of her 'if looks could kill' glares.

"I also heard about what your family did to each other."

Sara felt her blood run cold. She wouldn't...

"Around nighttime...your dad would come home drunk..."

Sara sunk to the floor holding her head. "Stop it."

"...Your mom would start yelling at him..."

"Stop it."

"So, your dad would get mad."

"Stop it..."

"And they would start fighting..."

"Please, stop it."

"And you would get in the middle of it..."

"Stop it! Please!"

By now, the entire locker room had crowded around her and was listening intently with evil grins on their faces. Why were they doing this to her? She never did anything to them.

"And then..." Melissa was determined to finish her story.

"STOP IT!"

Sara was in tears. She sat huddled up in the corner covering her ears and the other girls just laughed.

"What's going on in here?"

Josh Deckard's angry voice filled her ears and she looked up to see him staring down at her and taking in the scene in front of him.

"Melissa, what did you do?"

She smiled. "Nothing, I was just explaining why Sara is in Foster Care."

He walked up to her. "That's none of your business, so I suggest you just run along with your little friends and stay the hell away from Sara."

"Ooh, Josh Deckard's standing up for the freak!"

He cornered her, and now she was up against the wall. "I swear, if you ever do anything to her, I will-"

"JOSH!"

The sound of the PE teacher's voice made everyone jump.

"You get away from her and the girl's locker room!"

He glared at the teacher and Melissa before kneeling down beside Sara. "I'm sorry." He stood up and walked away. The PE teacher stared at everyone before walking out.

"Watch your back, Sidle."

Melissa left her with those words before walking out with the rest of the girls. Sara dried her eyes and lowered her head.

Sorry for the double post but i forgot to say that you r a amazing writing :cool: keep writing!!

Thanks! Here's the next part:

November 3, 1984- 6:45 am

Sara grabbed another rotten apple just to make her foster mother let her go to school with the satisfaction that she thought her foster child had eaten. As soon as she got out of the house, she threw the apple away and started on her way to school. As she continued to walk, she expected to hear the familar skateboard wheels coming toward her, and she was relieved to see him in the distance just yards away.

She had never thought that she would be wondering where he was. She was never too keen of Mr. Deckard, but from his change of attitude toward her recently, seeing him gave her a small sense of reassurance.

Now that she thought about it, she noticed his insecurities. When he was the school jock and a total jerk, she never thought he had a problem in the world. But now that she saw his soft side, now that she thought of the way he acted around everyone, she noticed the walls he always seem to put up in certain situations. Being the child prodigy couldn't be easy since you were trying to bring all of your parent's dreams to life...and not exactly your own.

She stepped onto school grounds, and she looked around- kids going to their lockers, others trying desperately to fill in the last sections of their papers before the big test that day. She walked into the gymasium, grimacing at the smell of student's breakfasts they got from the school...which weren't really breakfasts...they were more like...soggy pieces of bread with...erm...stuff that was supposed to taste like cinnamon.

She made her way to the hall way to get to her locker. As she approached the locker, the spray paint from the day before had been scrubbed off...well, most of it. She could still make out some of the letters, but not as much as the day before. She opened the locker after clicking the lock off, and was greeted by the sterile smell of the disinfectant she used to clean it. Yes, she used disinfectant...no one else realized how much bacteria was moving around a public school.

She slipped her notebook out of her backpack and put it in her locker. She took out her bagged lunch and slid it in the back and grabbed a textbook she needed for a class. She closed her locker, locking it back up, and smiled when Josh was standing right next to her.

"So...how are you today?" he asked.

"Pretty good, you?"

"Good."

"That's good...um...Josh?"

"Yeah?"

"I need to thank you for yesterday-"

"Don't worry about it, I've wanted to tell Melissa off for some time now."

She smiled. "Alright."

"Okay, sport, well, I'll see you at lunch, then?"

"Sure."

"Alright, bye!"

He waved as he walked down the hall to his first class and she smiled as she watched him disappear around the corner. Sara walked to her first class with a little jump in her step. She was filled with glee, and all she was thinking about was getting to see Josh at lunch.

She took a seat in the back in her english class. As she sat down, she took out her textbook and started reading on the assigned page. As she skimmed through the sections, a piece of paper was thrown at her and she blinked when she looked down in front of her at the crunched up piece of paper. She unfolded it slowly and looked at it. On it was a rather sloppy drawing of a knife and in bold writing: PSYCHO, FREAK, and MURDERER. She shook her head as she threw the paper down after scribbling everything out. She couldn't tell who exactly made the note, as everyone in the class seemed to have it in for her except her teacher.

On her way to her next class, flashes of crimson and cries of pain came flooding back to her. She shook her head trying to make them go away, but she just couldn't. The memories were too much, they were forever burned in the back of her mind. Now, even when she saw a sharp object, she had to look away. She couldn't bare to look at it, it just brought back the horrible memories of that day.

She took a seat in the back of her algebra class, rubbing her head. She was getting a headache thinking about everything so much. All she wanted was for lunchttime to come so she could see Josh. He comforted her; she had no idea what it was about him that made her feel safe, perhaps it was the fact that he was the only friend she ever had in life.

The bell rang. Damn, it was time for PE.

"Watch your back, Sidle."

A cold chill ran down Sara's spine as those words came back into her mind. What would Melissa and her posse try to do?

She slowly walked into the girl's locker room and changed into her PE clothes. None of the other girls even looked at her, they just changed out as they made their way into the gym to start PE. Sara knew something was up, and she wasn't going to like whatever was about to happen.

"Alright, from a vote, we're going to play football! We're in the gym, so be careful!" the PE teacher said holding up the orange and yellow sashes used for flag football.

Huh...now that can't be a coincidence. And we're in the gym...great.

Sara grabbed one of the sashes and tied it around her slender waist as the rest of her team got into position. As soon as the whistle was blown, the ball was in the air, centimeters away from the ceiling. The ball came down and Sara watched it, dumb-founded. She had no idea the ball had landed in her arms until she looked in front of her to see the giant mob of kids running at her. She backed up and then started running, but the kids were gaining on her quickly.

Ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap!

And that was when it happened. One of the kids pushed her (no one was sure who, but Sara could only guess who did it), and she lost her balance. She fell forward into the wall, banging her head on it and crumbling to the floor. And then, four kids just 'accidentally' fell on top of her.

"Woah! Alright, anyone hurt?" the PE teacher had sprinted over to them.

Everyone got up unharmed, except for the motionless Sara who had been at the bottom of the pile-up. The PE teacher quickly kneeled down beside her and nudged her.

"Sara?"

No answer.

"Sara, come on, wake up."

No answer. The kids were all holding back the urge to laugh as she lay unconscious on the floor of the gym.

"Someone get the nurse!"

The kids were stiff, just watching and grinning.

"NOW!"

One of the kids ran off to get the nurse, leaving the PE teacher to try and wake up Sara.

"Sara, come on."

Nothing.

"Oh sh-"

Before the PE teacher could curse, the nurse had run into the gym and moved the PE teacher away from her. She held Sara's head in her hands and rubbed her head.

"Come on, Sara, wake up."

She got a groan as a response.

"That's it, come on."

Sara winced from the pain growing in her forehead and tried sitting up, but the nurse pushed her back down.

"Don't try and sit up. We're going to call and ambulance, you may have a concussion. You've got a nasty bump on your head."

Sara just nodded as the rest of the kids stared at her with evil grins on their faces. They found this entertaining?

"Where is she?"

His voice made her jump.

"Where is she?"

His voice had a little more urgency in its tone now, and she smiled as she saw him running over to her, his calm brown eyes staring at her with concern. He had a white lab coat on and teal rubber gloves, and as he came closer she saw the plastic goggles over his eyes.

"Oh god, what happened, Sara?"

"Nothing, Josh...I...just fell is all."

He turned around and gave Melissa and the rest of the kids a death glare as if to say 'I'll deal with you later' and then turned back to Sara. "You sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, an ambulance is coming to make sure I don't have a concussion, but uh...how did you know I got hurt?"

"Word travels fast."

She smiled as she closed her eyes and sirens were heard in the background. "You look like a nerd."

He smiled as he ruffled her hair.

"Josh, you're going to have to move," the PE teacher told him.

"No, I'm going with her."

"No you're not. You have a math test today and you're not going to miss it!"

"I don't care about the test, I said I'm going with her."

The ambulance came up and the EMTs ran out and helped Sara into the ambulance. Josh, despite his superior's wishes, got into the back of the ambulance and sat down beside Sara.

"Bite me."

He closed both doors as they drove off, leaving the entire group at the school stunned.

Sara smiled at him in the ambulance as she drifted off to a much-needed sleep. He was like a big brother. A big brother that actually cared about her, and wouldn't most likely be trying to mooch off of his little sister thirty years later when he was needing money and a place to crash.

Josh really was like a brother to Sara, and it was then when she finally realized it.

TBC

omg! i love this piece of your writing! i've been reading it at fanfiction and like it a lot! hope you feel better! update quick! :)

I hope this chapter doesn't suck:

November 3, 1984- 11:53 am

As the ambulance arrived at the hospital, they wheeled Sara out on a gurney, which she quickly protested to. Josh ran after the EMTs as they led her into the hospital, but he was quickly led back to the waiting room where he paced back-and-forth until he could see Sara. When the doctors finally came through the double-doors, they led him into her room which he almost ran to.

He took a seat next to her and suddenly went into big-brother mode.

"Are you okay?"

She smiled. "Yes, I'm fine."

"You didn't sustain any head injuries?"

"No, not really. Other than having a really bad headache, I'm fine."

"Do I need to get you some aspirin?"

"I already took some."

"Okay..." he sighed rubbing his head.

"You don't look so good."

He looked up and shook his head. "Ah, uh...no, I'm fine, I was just worried about you."

"I'm fine."

He nodded and lowered his head before swallowing hard. "I...uh...my little sister died in a car accident three years ago."

Sara's eyes widened and she grabbed his hand, rubbing it softly. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay..."

"My mother killed my father."

"I know..."

"In front of me."

He looked up at her. "Oh god..."

She shook her head. "It's strange...I...I feel sort of sad, but at the same time...I feel relieved."

He put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"...The reason my mother killed him was...well...he had taken me to a strip club for my birthday."

She laughed a little, choking back tears.

"He claimed he was bringing me into 'adulthood'," she said making the quotations with her fingers. "He uh...actually poured bottles of alcohol down my throat. I got sick the next day."

"How many bottles?"

"I...I really don't know...I...I lost count after three."

"I'm sorry, Sara, I mean-"

"And then I went home."

He rubbed her shoulder gently.

"And Mom was sprawled out on the floor...she had been drinking."

She swallowed.

"So I went back to the club and brought Dad back...that proved to be a bad move. As soon as I brought him back home...Mom and him started getting into it...and...I tried to make them stop, I really did, but...they wouldn't listen, and...as soon as Dad hit me, she grabbed the knife..."

"Sara, it wasn't your fault."

She shook her head. "Thanks...I really appreciate your words, but...I wish I felt the same."

He took her in a tight embrace and she just cried into his shoulder.

"It's okay," he whispered.

"Josh?"

"Yes?"

"Why are you here? I mean...why are you on my side comforting me?"

He smiled. "You know, I've...been through a lot of crap too, and I just know what it's like to feel so alone...you know my dad...he wanted me to become some big sports star."

He laughed a little bit.

"Mom wanted me to become the president of my Dad's stupid oil company, but...I told them I was going to do what I wanted to do."

"Good for you."

"Well...I told them I wanted to be a lawyer, but...as soon as I told them, they freaked, and uh...I'll let you fill in the blanks."

"I'm sorry, Josh, I mean...I never knew-"

"Don't worry about it, it wasn't your fault."

He smiled, changing the subject.

"As soon as we get back to school I'm kicking Melissa's sorry ass."

She looked up at Josh with a grin on her face. "But I don't even know if it was her who pushed me."

"She had something to do with it, believe me."

She closed her eyes and nodded. "Probably."

"Your head feeling better?"

"A little bit."

"Good."

A doctor came into the room and smiled at the scene in front of him.

"Sara, you feeling better?"

She looked up to see the doctor.

"Yeah."

"Good. Get some sleep and then you can go home. I'm sure your parents won't want you going back to school today after what happened."

Her parents...'her' parents...right.

"Okay."

Sara pulled away from Josh and laid down in the bed.

"Go ahead and sleep," Josh told her.

"Will you be here when I wake up?"

He smiled. "Duh."

She grinned as she closed her eyes.

As she drifted off to sleep, he smiled as he slipped the plastic goggles over her eyes and held back the urge to laugh.

Your writing is impeccable! It's totally well written! The story is marvelous and I can definitely picture this as Sara's past! And I love Josh! ;) Keep up the good work! :)

Back