The CSI: NY vs. L&O SVU showdown!

Top41

Administrator
Administrator
Premium Member
Has anyone else noticed that both CSI: NY and Law & Order SVU's new episodes tonight have been really, really heavily promoted, much more so than usual? I feel like there have been umpteen CSI: NY preview videos (not to mention Carmine's chat today), and half of the websites I've visited today seem to feature a promo for the two hours of SVU episodes.

NY hasn't had a timeslot rival this big since the original L&O was opposite it in its early years (seasons one and two, I think??). And SVU is actually more popular than the original L&O these days, though I think the move off of 10pm for the Jay Leno show hurt its ratings a bit.

So what do you think? Will NY come out on top? Or will SVU chip away at its numbers? Predictions? Thoughts?

I don't watch L&O: SVU, but it does seem to get its share of coverage in entertainment media, so I won't be surprised if it cuts into CSI: NY's ratings.

And even without SVU in the mix, I'd be a bit conerned about tonight's ratings since NY is coming off two weeks without new episodes.

Anyway, my guess would be that NY will still manage to get 12 million or more viewers but probably drop in the target demos.

Is there a new Criminal Minds episode tonight? That might help CSI: NY....

I'll probably watch NY on TV tonight and catch SUV online tomorrow. I do like both shows. I normally watch L&O online these days - although I haven't watched CI in a while.

I believe Criminal Minds is new tonight, yes.

SVU has been promoting big guest stars--Mischa Barton and Kathy Griffith, as well as the guy on Oz who Christopher Meloni's character was involved with. The first two don't interest me so much, but the third one does. :devil: I do love Oz! I'll probably just find a way to watch both tonight--the beauty of having two TVs, a TiVO and a DVD recorder. :eek:

I'm definitely curious to see how being up against SVU affects NY's ratings - I think they'll be pretty steady, but I would not be at all surprised if there's a drop with heavier competition than usual. I guess it depends on which show fans of both would rather watch live or watch later.

I don't watch SVU, so there's no conflict for me, but I'm definitely interested to see the ratings tomorrow. :)

Some other show will probabally win somehow or they could be tied. I watch both, in fact I am watching CSI:NY, Law & Order SVU, Pshych, Ghost hunters, dog the bounty hunter and the wendy williams show. So I'm flicking channels like mad, but I probabally won't bother with ghost hunters or dog.

i am lucky because i could watch both shows (they are in different networks here) :D

I believe CSI NY will win. I guess numbers could drop a little bit but nothing too dramatic and our show will still be at the top

I also believe both shows have their loyal fans who will stay watching not matter what other show has in front of it

Probably at the end it will be a benefit to CSI NY all this, because it's forcing CBS to give the best of it to promote the show and
having an adversary of SVU could mean even more promotion for us
Personally i think it's a waste for the audience but i guess that's how things work there :D

I hope NY wins every week but I wouldn't be surprised if SVU won this week. It was heavily promoted during the Olympics and on famous websites like Yahoo! TV and TV Guide. Plus, it is NBC's highest rated drama. NY was just promoted I think yesterday.

I watched a couple of SVU episodes and they were actually good. But, I decided to just watch the show whenever I have free time or nothing else to watch.

I think NY will remain strong although its demo numbers and viewers might be a little lower than what they used to this season. NY has faced some high caliber dramas from other networks in the past like Law & Order and Lost yet it's still going strong.

^I agree. This might actually help NY and also CM - because their promos are back-to-back - to be promoted more times than normal. This will also pressure our excellent writers amd staff to always come up with great episodes! :)

Last edited:
If it was promoted so late personally i don't think how nobody complaint about it??:confused::confused::confused: There are so many things they could organize to catch new viewers and keep old ones watching
Well, at least we will be able celebrate the indirect promotion our show is getting for having SVU in front

Weeee! CSI: NY won! They are neck in neck in the demo but still, NY didn't have the promotion SVU had. But NY won by a large margin in viewers. Yesterday, just before CM started, NY was promoted by Melina! She said stay tuned for CSI: NY! I think that never happened before. And the other two promotions last night was really unusual like "in 16 (and 2) minutes a new episode of CSI: NY".

oh That's great! In Latin America AXN shows before every episode and before every advert break teh whole cast saying "you are watching CSI NY" :D probably it seems a little thing but i hope it works :D (I don't know rating numbers here because CSI NY is aired in cable here)

It would be nice if CBS could organize contest or something like that with prizes like a DVD set or t shirts or something like that!

i hope NY wins this week with the ratings. SVU aint that great now.
lucky for us here they are on different days.
atm i'm relying on the USA for NY coz it aint on here

I like both CSI:NY and L&O:SVU. However, I watch a lot more CSI:NY than I do SVU, mostly 'cause I never knew when SVU was on :p and also 'cause I like CSI:NY more, but that's besides the point.

I'm glad that CSI:NY won in the ratings :) I liked the whole CSI:NY promotion by Melina after Criminal Minds (I just like Melina in general though). And that "In 16 minutes" thing was something new. I don't usually see the CBS stuff though because my local channel (CTV) carries both CM and CSI:NY, but CM wasn't on there because of American Idol (As if I needed another reason to hate that show).

well I have been so disapointed with csiny this season, that I think I will turn to L & O SUV. I am tired of the writing this season and not happy that they did not go with the Adam, Stella story after thay started it. I just started watching CM a few weeks ago and really like it. No arcs, no starting and stopping a storyline, and they just solve crime. Thay are not trying to turn it into a daytime soap opera. So this week I am changing after six seasons to SVU.

Last week I wound up watching SVU. I still haven't seen last weeks NY.
And again this week SVU's new episode is up against CSI NY. I'm torn as to what to watch. :eek:

My question is, now that Jay Leno is back on late night, is SVU going to move back to their 10pm slot? Are they going to go up against NY from now on? :confused:

Back