Tennis

I love grass tennis! I can even bear to watch Feds on grass. Wimbledon will always remind me of Pete and the great matches he played there. I love everything about the tournament and the fact that grass tennis is so much faster and people don't always hang out behind the baseline. Yeah, Federer rules on grass but I don't mind that. I still love Wimbledon and I'm looking forward to it big time. I hope Rafa wins some more matches this year and that David recovers from his injury before the tournament starts. It's just fun that different people have chances on this surface compared to their chances on clay. We need to watch Ancic, Roddick, that sort of people. I always like the change, it makes things more interesting.

Nadal rules on clay but grass is another story,Spanish players never have been good on grass,so Feds could be happy again.

And what happenned to the translator yesterday at RG?
Rafa saying beautiful things about Paris and the guy not translating anything...

Hormiga said:

And what happenned to the translator yesterday at RG?
Rafa saying beautiful things about Paris and the guy not translating anything...

Hey the translator really put his foot in it :mad:, the french television had its own translator and it wasn't the same translation at all. Actually I didn't understand why the crowd started booing !! But now I do ...
Here is an article's quote
In essence, DBR said, “Roger is the toughest guy I play, the best I lose to, even on clay.” The translator tightened and brightened this up, saying, “Roger’s the toughest guy out there except on clay, where I rock the world!” Or something like that. The crowd went nuts, and after the match the translator ran down to the locker room to apologize to Nadal, while Nadal's people were looking for Federer's people to apologize and see if their boy wanted to do lunch with their boy.

Best of

Rafa always says that Feds is the best and the number one and that even if he had defeated him 6 times Feds is much better than him.

Here the Spanish tv cut the emission when they gave the cup to Rafa,grrr....So I only heard a little bit of the speech on the radio.Rafa was talking with lot of respect about Feds as he always does and about Paris,even when the people there supported Feds,and the translator screwing it up,I'm happy to hear that the French tv got their own translator,I don't want French people get the wrong impression about Rafa 'cause he's modest and nice.

Thanks for posting the clip,my fav performances are Clijsters & Monfils.

I also love the clip! My favs were Santoro, Clement and Hewitt. It was nice to see that Hewitt has a fun side :lol:

Poor Rafa, I just read his blog over at atptennis.com and he was still explaining that he did not mean to offend Federer and that he was misquoted by the translator. The kid is just to sweet and always modest. I mean, c'mon, it's 6-1. Rafa, sweetie, you are better on clay then Feds, even if you don't believe it yourself.

I still don't get why the French don't love him. They loved Guga so why not this sweet, awesome guy? Makes no sense to me, I adore Rafa.

Well I think Rafa's perceived by the French a bit as a "winning machine", someone whithout any "soul-searching" who is just here to win and crush the other players. Besides, he has an "invincible, infallible" side which annoys the crowd. Guga is the 'king' in Roland, he's always supported even he plays against a french player...that's crazy. But I love Rafa :D, I'm not like my countrymen.

IMO what annoys Frenchs is that he's Spanish.
If you give a look back to the RG winners,and not mentioning the 3 times A.Sánchez Vicario won or Santana and Gimeno,you've got this: 1993 & 1994 Bruguera,1998 Moyá,2002 Costa,2003 Ferrero and 2005 & 2006 Nadal.
And Berasategui,Corretja and Ferrero were finalists.
Spanish players have been ruling in RG lately but it's not our fault if they don't have that "outstanding" player as Nadal,maybe in the future things are different and French players rule,who knows,but that's no reason to be unfair.
But I'm sure many Frenchs like Nadal,as Kimi,as he's a great player and person,as I enjoy with French sportmen.
Bonne chance aux Bleus aujourd'hui !!! ;)

Well you really think the French don't like him cos he's Spanish?. I don't think so: Bruguera and Ferrero for instance are loved in France( btw Brugura was one of my favorite)! I don't want you to believe that we don't like Spaniards in France :rolleyes:.Roland Garros' crowd doesn't get on very well with Rafa, I dunno why... the crowd doesn't commune with him like it did with Guga or Safin. It's taken a dislike to Rafa, What a pity. :(
I love Fernando Alonso, he's said to be the greatest star in Spain with Nadal !!

Thanks Hormiga for cheering up my team, I hope they'll do a good match this afternoon. Allez les bleus ! :D

I thought it has to do with Spanish winning so often,you know,as Armstrong winning the Tour every year,he was the best but it could be boring.
I didn't want to mean that Frenchs dislike Spanish,for instance Amodóvar has a lot of succeed there.

I love Fernando Alonso, he's said to be the greatest star in Spain with Nadal !!
He's from the same town than me,but I don't like F1 and he's not as nice as Nadal.He's a great sportman but I find him unfriendly.

I think that we are all underestimating the popularity that Federer has. My guess is that the crowd wanted him to win, they wanted him to break all those records and Nadal got in the way.

The crowd doesn't understand Nadal because he speaks Spanish and he doesn't show the same emotions on the court that Ferrero or Guga showed when they won. Nadal just sits back and tries to understand the fact that he has won while Ferrero and Guga really showed the crowd how much it meant to them. It makes a diference.

Look at Sampras, he was never loved by the Wimbledon crowd because he never showed emotion on the court. It took him seven Wimbledon titles before the crowd liked him and that was only because he cried and searched for his parents in a really beautiful moment. People want to see emotion and then you are loved.

But whatever, I don't care what the preferences of the crowd are. I always cheer for Nalabandian for instance and he's not that popular either, same reason, He doesn't show many emotions on the court. In the end, I just like my players and if other people don't like them...so what? I really don't care. There, I have spoken :lol:

imho, a lot of times, a player really doesn't get very popular with the crowd until their twilight years, for example, i was a huge steffi graf fan, steffi never really show any emotions on court and therefore never have the whole crowd chanting her name a la jimmy connor, but i remember the most support she ever got was towards the end of her career, who can forget her last grand slam single title when she had the whole entire french crowd rooting for her against martina hingis and hingis was at her peak at the time

Oh yeah I remember this final between Hingis and Graf. Actually the crowd booed Martina cos she had an anti fair-play behavior, she contested points, she was really insincere during this match (like Coria).

Anyway there're a few tournaments this week. Rafa plays the Queen's, he copes quite well for the moment.He defeated M.Fish and F.Verdasco but he plays Hewitt today, tough match.
Roddick/Gonzalez :eek: and Monfils/Blake ;) are the main matches.

Hey, Tim Henman was also playing our lovely Dmitri. Yeah, he almost kicked David's ass in Roland Garros but I still like Tursonov. Did anybody read his blog on atp.com, it was hilarious!
Also, Feds almost lost today. He actually survived four matchpoints against Olivier Rochus. To bad he didn't lose but we can't have it all.
In other news, Rafa retired against Hewitt but I thought he was doing pretty well on grass. Not great but certaintly not bad either. Let's hope he recovers in time for Wimbledon. Same goes for David, I went searching for news and found an article in which he said that he was almost certain to be fit for Wimbledon so that's good.
Ok, I have no more news :lol:

sorry ducky for that other thread...but hey, wimbledon has started. as i said, i wont watch it :p
unless its between games :D

and tennis is BORING :D
and i live 10mins away from the area.

Yeah Wimbledon has started but it hasn't lasted long today ;), many matches have been postponed.
Hey what would be this tournament without rain !!

Actually I'm not fond of 'grass'...nevertheless I'm gonna follow it a bit.

Back