Taylor Swift

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Urban Legend, Feb 5, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I just didn't think she was that much taller than I am. I'm between 5'8 and 5'9. :lol: I would have thought Taylor was between 5'7 and 5'9 cause she does look tall... just not that tall. I mean, I think about the fact that 5'11 is the same height as Lucy Lawless and Taylor just doesn't look that tall to me. But then again, she's got a smaller frame, so that may make it to where she doesn't look that tall. :lol:

I'm gonna steer clear of the debate over her voice except to say that while there are plenty who are better, she's not that bad in my opinion. Quite honestly there are a lot of really popular singers whose voices I can't stand and I wonder why people like them. I won't name names as not to offend any of their fans, but I'm just saying. :lol:

As for videos: there are many videos I've seen by various different artists that appear to be too much like other artists' videos. It's possible that they got permission to do that. As often as it tends to happen, they'd almost have to or there would be lawsuits all over the place. :lol: It's also possible that some of the people working on the videos (directors, producers, etc) are the same who worked on the other projects or are connected in some way to them. And the singers themselves are probably not the ones responsible for coming up with the concepts for the videos, particularly if they are really young.

Honestly though, I don't really even watch music channels anymore. The only things I watch on CMT are "Singing Bee" and occassionally (if I'm bored enough) "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader". Or unless I happen to be flipping channels and Keith Urban in on CMT or Bon Jovi on VH1 or whatever. Most of the artists whose videos I liked to watch aren't even making videos anymore because the channels that used to show music videos the majority of the time are now showing more reality shows than anything else. :lol: Video may have killed the radio star, but reality shows killed the video stars :lol: (for the most part at least). :lol:

As for her songs all being on the same subject, 90 to 95 percent of the songs on the radio are about that particular subject because it's what sells. She's not the only artist doing it. She's barely out of her teens, so it's not surprising to me that she sings about teenage love. Most of the songs I wrote as a teenager were about the same thing as well (only difference is, I wrote to get my feelings down and found it easier in song form than diary form lol, I wasn't selling my songs or singing them and making records or whatever lol). Its to be expected from a teenager. Most of the teenage to twenty-one year olds who write songs write about love whether its good love or love gone bad. And to be honest, most of the songs on the radio are about love in some shape or form. So, I certainly can't fault Taylor for writing the type of songs that sell the best.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

What I mean is that all of 'her' songs are about the same subject, I'm not talking about other artists. I would just like for her to write a song that isn't a teenage angst song or a song that is about nothing more than a love that she wants that won't happen. Like Love Story and Teardrops on My Guitar. Reputation gets old quick and she needs to learn to write more than love songs, there's way more to write about.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I am sorry but I have seen the video that you linked to, well I have seen the actual video to that song and I liked it, the fact that, that link [provided in previous post] goes to a video that is clearly altered by someone who doesn't like her singing considering it [the video you linked to] is called Taylor Swift sucks live 2. As to props alot of singer use them in video's and on stage (both in rock and in country) good example the grammy's "Pink" and her high flying act just to name one, how about fireworks as another example.

Thing is I am 36 yrs old and I like most of her songs, her singing, and the thing also is that songs are interepted in many different ways, not to mention what one person might call a tween song another my age might have a memory of a time in my life that it brings back.

I guess I would rather listen to her or someone like her then alot of swearing in songs, or sexual scenes in video's. There is one singer "Sarah Buxton" who sings this one song "outside my window" and I like it, it's silly in a way but cool, and the video they used alot of props in it and did the whole thing for $80.00 I believe it was and its silly but its fun.

She [Taylor] is twenty yrs old if she holds true to herself and her music then as she grows so will her writing and singing. Then again she could be sort of a one year wonder. But comparing Taylor to Carrie isn't any more fair to either of them as it would be to compare Kelly Clarkson, to Reba McEntire to Dolly Pardon to Martina McBride to Tanya Tucker, Or Toby Keith to George Strait, to Rascal Flats to Alabama to the oak ridge boys to George Jones, I think I made my point. They are all of different vocals, and opinions are one thing everyone is entitled to them, but comparing singer vs singer is as over-rated as comparing actor/actress vs actor/actress, not to mention again its not fair to the singers.

I would say the songs on an album usually reflect similar ideals, the topic of the album, this is why when I buy my music online I might only like one or two songs off it, so I buy them instead of the whole thing.

I am stearing away from the debate as well, but this is just my opinion in general.

4. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

She is actually about 5' 8" or 9" I saw her in concert last year and stood right in front of her when she walked down the steps of the stage for one of her songs I had to look down I am 6'1" also she lip syncs to her music when is concert the whole thing with her an Stevie Nicks was only done cause Stevie doesn't "fake" her singing but in my opinion at this point in her life maybe she should ( just my opinion mind you)

5. GregNickRyanFan

I'm sure she will when she gets older and has more world experiences. She totally should have written a song about the Kayne West incident though. :lol: Not in a way that Christina Aguilera wrote that song about Enimen (even though that was funny), but yeah... maybe it could have been indirectly about that or very subtle. But I totally would have written a song about that. :lol: Love is a good and popular subject though... but there are many different kinds of love besides that between a boy and a girl. So, I get your point, but she is still very young and doesn't have many experiences with other subjects, so hopefully she'll grow as a songwriter as she gets older and she'll find other subjects to write about. :)

A lot of singers do the lip syncing thing in concerts because a lot of them are dancing around at the same time. You get short of breath very easily. Those who don't use the backing vocals or whatever, you can always tell cause you can hear them make a quick (most of the time) gasp for air. :lol: It isn't always the entire song that's lip synched. Sometimes they have the backing vocals, but sing over them and the backing vocals are just there in case they do need to take a deep breath, the audience won't hear it as well with the backing vocals going. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. Destiny

LMAO I am sure there is a time or two that Stevie also did lip sync, alot of singers do that, due to vocal problems, or trying to avoid them. They get booked on so many tours then rehearsels, recordings that after awhile your chords can get damaged, heck Martina McBride learned that the hard way when she started out, it got to the point she had to lip sync for alot of concerts because she wanted to keep her promise to the fans, and yet her chords got so bad she was told to rest them or lose them.

7. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

Did not know that about Martina she is a fave of mine But Stevie saind in a magazine interview back in the 80's that " she feels any artists that lipsyncs is a fake and phoney musician and should not be in the industry" which is why Ithink she sounded so horrible at the Grammys I had to shut it off

8. GregNickRyanFan

I think it depends on the reason. Sure some may do it because of laziness, but some do it due to committment and vocal strain issues (as Destiny mentioned). If you're doing it for health reasons then I say go ahead. But if its just out of laziness then that's a whole other subject. :lol: Plus half time in concerts you can't hear the singer anyway cause all the fans are screaming the entire time... which is one reason I don't go to concerts anymore. Why pay all that money and only hear the fans screaming? :lol:

9. Destiny

Yeah I saw that about Martina on GAC interview I am trying to find out if there is a transcript of that but I will keep looking.

As to Taylor, several set country stars have rallied if you will.
    Faith Hill, Tim McGraw defend Taylor Swift win this was on the heels of Wynona Judd making a comment that her success was basically “too much of a good thing.”

But thing is singing live in concert has got to be hard, think back to when you were younger, or even try now to sing (whether or not you can) and dance around trust me it can not be easy, and most shows like cma's or grammy's have some many tech issues they have to handle. The grammy's for instance ADMITTED to blanking out certain parts of songs (remember during a song and your sound went dead for a second or two) because of the lyrics, if they are doing that, then the possibility of a tech issue for Taylor and Stevie isn't impossible. I don't like what the lable head said, and Kelly Clarkson went after him, while basically saying she liked taylor, is a fan and seen her in concert, and admits to having had shaky performances, didn't much like the label head for dissing Idol singers but did defend Taylor.

10. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

Not to toot my own horn but I have been doing Kareoke for 10+ years and have gotten pretty good at doing both sing and dance in fact I was for about 5 years running my own show but I also think that most artists maybe trying to save there voices/chords because it doesget tough nigh after night I 'm sure I just think it is wrong look at Britney Spears for example on SNL that was not really a live concert and she was dehumanized and made to look like a fake in the media

11. Destiny

Look at Ashley simpson she has acid reflux which if true isn't fun or pretty (I know the experience) and they nailed her to the wall.

I think what I am saying at least is, as we both pointed out tour schedules put you in one city one day, another the next, then you may have an awards show to perform at, then you have rehearsals for all the shows, and just when you get a day off your either writing, or recording a song for something. One artist and I can't remember their name said that they toured 300 days, the rest of the time was a small break or recording.

Plus you figure they have to deal with the in's and outs of the concerts, find their marks (especially if televised) know the stage well, and get all the moves down to a science. Heck I am tired just THINKING what they have to do and I have seen it from start to finish, I helped put on two concerts for charity and we did everything from refreshments, to building the stage to charting every freaking moment of the whole thing, it was fun for the fans, sucked for me lmao by the time they got on stage I wanted a nap. But that was about ten yrs ago, now days the singers are doing alot of that, one singer is Kenny Chesney, he even handles how much the tickets are going to be and if he says thats to high they lower them.

I think that what I like about country is they don't compare themselves to anyone, but they admire each other and their talents, I mean look at stars of todays country music singing with rock singer, either bringing back the old with the new or giving them that one extra chance, etc.

But I have seen sites that have said "I hate Taylor", I Love Taylor", "I hate Carrie, I love carrie" [insert other singers] and some that are like me who say I don't love them, I don't hate them, I don't know them, and I like certain songs they do but not all of them. Some could write a song and never be able to sing, some can sing but can never write a song that would make it. and some occassionally can do both, they all won't be hits but they (as they say) feel lucky for the chance.

Okay its two am lmao and I am old...er lmao kidding anyway its time for sleepy I have to be up in oh four an a half hours, nothing to it for us old...er folks, yeah I am 36 feeling as if going on 63. :lol: Check back in the morning, er later this morning lmao.

12. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

O.K. waving a white flag to call it a truce we each have our own opinions mine is that I don't like it when artists "fake" their talent

13. Destiny

Hey white flags are for truces? they told me it was the rainbow one. :lol:
    There is no arguments so no worries, it's just a bit lively. :lol: I think we all agree that when someone fakes singing or playing an instrument that its no fun, or true, and that there are times when it is more a necessary medical that would make it acceptable. ;)

14. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

Love her song "Breathe"
    I used to be bigger fan when she was less known, now I've move to greener pastures.
    Girl has talent, and what I like about her, is that she's simple.

15. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I'll have to disagree there, in my opinion under no circumstances should one ever lip-sync, even if they have to because of medical reasons. If their voice is worn out or if they're sick and physically can't perform and give their best vocals, then I feel like they should do the logical and mature thing and cancel some shows and let their voice rest like Jennifer Nettles from Sugarland has done. Yes, some fans will be mad that the shows have been cancelled, but at least they will get their money back and won't waste their time going to see a concert that's using the same track that they can hear on their cd's and mp3 players. Don't put on a show and lip sync, if something happens and that track is heard playing in an arena, can you imagine what that would do to their careers? Even if they come out and say, "oh I was sick, had no choice" people will still question their reliably when it comes to future concerts etc

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010