Stargate

Yeah, to those fans in Canada: It looks like Space will be repeating the airing several times over the weekend along with Louis Ferrero on the aftershow. Although, I remember him as "Justin Louis". Apparently he has changed his name!

His given name is Louis Ferreira. I'm not sure why he went by Justin Louis maybe for acting purposes but his mother passed away i think last year and to honor her and his Portuguese heritage he decided to use his real name for Stargate. i think that's the story....it was in an interview I read about stargate promoting the show

Idk , the atmosphere and some charas or interactions remind me too much of BSG and I couldn't get into that one (even with Apollo and Leoben ;)).
Was nice to see some of the SG charas again, Daniel's guide *g*
The last five min saved it a little for me and hey they have Louis Ferreira/Justin Louis :) but none of the charas interested me...
I'll give it another few epis .

Last edited:
Well, to go a little more in depth with my review, I'll say that Robert Carlye's was a standout performance. I mean, I expected him to be good, but his character is very interesting- enigmatic. Granted, the writers obviously deserve some props for putting together such an interesting character, but Robert C really, really makes this guy work.

Louis F was really good too, as limited as his presence was in this first episode. I also really liked the characters of Sargent(?) Scott- sorry unsure of his rank- and Eli, as well as Chloe. These were the characters I found myself most interested in. I'm guessing they'll flesh the rest out more, but these one are the first ones I really like.

I like that this show is a bit grittier than the other SG's, but they still maintain some of the humour. And while I loved the "heroes" of SG1 and Atlantis (O'Neill, Sheppard, Mitchell types), I'm interested in seeing if they make these military types a little less perfect- that seems to be the goal, I think, and I'm keen to see them make it work.

I'm pleased that this isn't going to be SG Voyager, and that the Stargate itself will still be coming into play regularly. This was one thing I was worried about, but I think they're going to pull it off effectively.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the first two hours, and I'm looking forward to part 3 next week. If they can maintain this level of entertainment for me, then I can see myself getting hooked on this show which will be sort of a guilty pleasure relief- I've been missing new SG episodes for a while and it'd be nice to have some new material to view! :)

And while I loved the "heroes" of SG1 and Atlantis (O'Neill, Sheppard, Mitchell types), I'm interested in seeing if they make these military types a little less perfect- that seems to be the goal, I think, and I'm keen to see them make it work.

I agree. I was just re-watching the "red sky" episode of SG1 a couple nights ago with the audio commentary. Amanda & Martin Wood were commenting on how they (especially Amanda) wanted the team to fail at the end and not be able to fix things for those people. Basically, it wasn't them that got things back to normal in the end anyway, it was the Asgard. But Amanda really wanted to end the episode with no resolution and to basically say 'SG1, you really screwed life up for this entire civilization, and no one can fix it'.

As for the SGU premiere, it seemed just like most series premieres where they have to get so much stuff in the allotted amount of time that it all seems scrunched together and you have to watch it a couple times just to catch up with everything. I have never really liked the Stargate episodes that are based on those spaceships, so I'm not sure how much I'll actually continue watching SGU. maybe a couple more episodes to see how they start to shape the characters. The only good thing is that it's on right before Sanctuary on SyFy, so I might tune in a bit more often.

I watched the first hour, recorded the second hour (to go watch Numbers lol), then tried to watch the second hour later. I kept falling asleep. Nothing really holds my interest. It seemed a little too slow paced for a Stargate show. I liked the little bit of Oneill. When he came to the boy's house in his suit and sunnies, I kept wondering if that was him and then he said something sarcastic and funny (in true Oneill style) and I said, "Yep, that's Jack!" :lol: None of the characters are annoying really, but none of them really grab me either the way Oneill, Carter, Tealc and Daniel did. Maybe it'll get better, this was just the first episode. And ha, the guy who played Shooter MacGavin in Happy Gilmore is in it. :lol:

Well yeah- I mean obviously we have a whole new cast to get used to, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I didn't think there was any point in going into the new show looking for replacements to my old faves- the new show would never make it in my eyes, if that was the case.

Am I bummed they didn't keep the first two series going? Of course. But that doesn't mean I don't want this one to succeed. I'm willing to give them a chance. I usually don't love anything right away- I need time for shows/people/songs etc to marinade for a while, generally. I do at least like this one so far, though. :)

They need some quirk though. I mean Jack's sarcasm and someone like the guy on Atlantis was it John maybe? (why can I never remember his freaking name? lol) who always referenced pop culture/movies. :lol: I liked both of those characters better than all others. :lol:

And no, the computer/video game geek kid character isn't what I'm looking for in quirkiness. :lol:

I haven't been able to watch the new show cause I don't get SciFi in the dorm rooms I'm in, but I'm hoping I can find somewhere I can watch it. Apparantly my computer doesn't do well with downloading videos. :(

New shows or charas are mostly no prob at all from the first epi on if they catch my interest, "I'm easily amused" ;) (*pets Methos*) .
And hey it's a SG spinoff so I really looked foreward to it ,but it just couldn't spark my hey-I've-found-a-new-show-to-watch enthusiasm.

The lighting, the tension amongst the charas,some chara patterns, the a little crazy doc...just reminds me of the begining of BSG *shrug* (maybe they plan a xover :shifty:;)).

And I agree with DeaditeSlayer the charas need some quirk, a little O'Neill , John or Mitchell attitude would be a nice SG legacy :p but hey I'm not picky (I even liked Ecklie, Stetler ,Hodges & co from the beginning ^^ ) just wish for more character.
At the moment I couldn't care less about the charas of SGU.

Edit: I don't want it to be a second SG or SGA ,but SGA def. got across in the pilot that most of the charas got some intriguing traits, complexes(*eg*) or beginnings of a chemistry with each other. I just miss that at the moment.

But no offence, that are just my thougt ramblings ;) and 'cause it's a SG spinoff I'll give it a few epis before I decide.

Last edited:
Okay just watched the first episode of Universe I like it so far, granted I only really like one character so far but I might warm up to the others later on. Nice pilot episode though very suspense filled.

OK, I liked the second episode too. I love the discord and desperation. I think they're really making that nice and tangible.

Also, I know it's sort of cliche, but I enjoyed the moody music bit while they waited to see if the guys made it back through the gate on time. :lol:

OK, here's a weird question. I've been re-watching season 9 and 10 of SG1, and I'm wondering about their uniforms, or more specifically, their colour. How do they know to all wear the same colour each day, i.e. blue, green, black, etc. Also, seems like when they're back on base and not on mission, Carter and Mitchell are often in one colour, while the non-US military types like Teal'c and Jackson are wearing a different colour. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

:lol: Yeah, I know. It's kind of a banal question, but it's these little details that keep me up at night! :eek: :lol:

I don't remember if it was in an actual episode, or if it was a fanfic that I read, but Sam mentioned to someone (was it Jonas in Season 6, or Vala later on?) that the team gets together each morning to color-coordinate their uniforms. -- Yes, she was joking.

I'm sure when they first go to the different planets, since they see the planet through the MALP first, they're able to determine whether to use their green camo, desert camo, or other uniforms to match what the planet is like.

I thought it was interesting how in the later seasons, they kind of morphed into wearing their black uniforms most frequently.

^^^ It's because they looked the coolest in black. :lol:

The blue is my least favourite- I think because they all have such blue eyes (except Jack, of course) the green and the black somehow makes that stand out. Hah, OK, yeah that was a silly observation, I know. But these are the things I notice, sadly enough. :lol:

Back