smacked- what really happened

Gaby

Rookie
Stella was beautiful. Everybody knew it; even he was not niave enough to let that go unnoticed. It was the way she held herself, her big green eyes and her smile. But he would never admit to himself that he was attracted to her. There trust was not something to be lost. Peyton had a right to be suspicious, jealous of the time they spent together because Stella was a threat to their relationship. She made him comfortable in a way that Peyton hadn’t. Yes, sometimes they fought, but it was fighting with her that brought out his true emotions and had forced him to let his heart out of his chest every once in a while. Stella and Mac fitted together like two pieces of evidence and this is what had destroyed mac and peytons relationship.

When the passion of there relationship had died down all was left were the burnt ambers of there once firery flame. Spontaneity had become routine and problems started to arise. Peyton would spend the very little spare time they had together picking arguments about the littlest things and Mac would spend his nights in the lab when he couldn’t face going home to her.

It was on one of these nights when Mac sat at his desk, filling in overdue paperwork, working into the night. The lamp in his room shone like a beacon into the rest of the darkened lab and caught the eye of a detective about to leave. Stella had made her way to the source, thinking that one of the cleaning crew had left the light on but instead saw Mac with a furrowed brow and sleepy eyes.

‘I though you’d gone home’
Mac looked up; his eyes briefly warmed and then went back to their drowsy state.
‘home is a very fluid concept at the moment’
she frowned, innocently puzzled.
Whats wrong mac.
I forgot that it was this hard being around someone so often, getting into petty fights. She knew who he was reffering to.
It shouldn’t be hard, if you love them. She smiled at him and he returned.
15 years it’s been stella, 15 years and were still partners. How do we do it?
Stella shrugged
Peyton doesn’t know you like I do, that’s the difference. She said stroking his cheek.

That was before the trip to London, the attempt to salvage there relationship. Peyton had known that they hadn’t been the same.
‘Come with me to london’ she had insisted, mac needed to give this relationship one more try. So he did. But taking Mac out of his comfort zone hadn’t helped.

‘Why do you want to go back so early.’ Peyton had asked.
‘crime isn’t just something you can switch on and off’ he had barked.
His aggressive tone had aroused suspicion for peyton and she felt the cold stab of jealousy.
‘It’s her isn’t it’
Mac didn’t understand.
‘ I mean I knew you two were close but I thought you could last a few days without her.’ said Peyton in her strong English acent which made her sound harsh and cold against his warm southern grumble.
Suddenly mac realised what this was all about. Why so many arguments had evolved out of him staying late- it wasn’t that he was working it was because he was spending time with stella.

Peyton, don’t do this. Mac had said, gruffly.
‘I know you love me very much,’ she said ‘but I cant compete with someone that you spend so much of your time with, someone who knows you better than I do’
She paused, this was the root o the problem and how ever much she tugged it was anchored in his heart.
‘It hurts too much to know that you spend more time with another woman.’

‘claire, its my job’ he tried to reason. He had done it again, the name of his late wife rang in the air and echoed around their hotel room. The name had slipped out so easily, simply because hed been here before with his wife; same conversation, same line, same problem.

Peyton, peyton. He repeated, fixing the name in his mind

She did nothing but smile the sadest smile.
‘Isn’t it enough that I have to compete with your ex wife.’

It was at this point that he could see the full extent of the problem. Peytons eyes glistened with the prospect of tears. She loved mac taylor and yet she knew she would have to face the possibility of losing him, she would never find another like him.

‘but I love you.’

I know that’ she smiled through her tears ‘but you love her too’

Mac opened his mouth to deny this projection but she silenced him by placing her fingers on his lips

‘Stay with me in London’, she asked him, ‘live with me in London’.

For her it was the only way she could live with mac taylor. The jealousy had taken her energy and him leaving new york would be the only way to salvage there relationship.

‘you know I cant do that peyton, I cant leave new york’ he told her softly.
She put on a brave smile as a tear escaped down her cheek and fell to the ground.
‘ and I cannot stay there’ she concluded.

She kissed him on the cheek as a signa of goodbye,leaving a red lipstick mark

And with that,it was over.

The flight back to new york had been painful. The seat was left empty next to him and the reality set in. He had spent so long fighting for his marriage when this same issue had arose 10 years ago. ‘ Shes just a frieng he had screamed over and over.’
To hear this accusation again worried him. Once was misfortunate but twice was a problem. Would any women allow stella is his life? Peyton shouldn’t have made him choose between her and stella. No matter how much he loved her she would never win.

more to come :D please r and r

xxxxxx

The wind blew violently into stellas soft curls as she stood at the top of the statue of liberty. Mac had gone up to meet her at this unusual crime scene and she had smiled at him, innocently unknowing of the damage shed caused.
‘hows you and peyton she asked’
‘perfect’ he quickly answered. He didn’t want to her to feel the guilt of his pain and he couldn’t think of another explaination at this time.

It took him three weeks to finaly admit to flack that peyton wasn’t coming back. ‘She’s decided to stay in London’ he had told don. He gave him nothing else.
‘Shame’ don had replied.
It had not taken long for this news to pass through the lab. First to Sheldon asking him to cover some autopsys while they found a replacement then around the ME’s office and to sid.

‘You look tired’ stella told sid as he yawned while stripping the body of its jumper for stellas inspection.
‘ I’ve had a hectic week, what with our most dedicated ME leaving. Shame, she was so pretty. Sid said in his creepy voice.
Whose left? Stella inquired
‘peyton he said peering over his glasses ‘I though mac would have told you by now. ‘Shes not coming back’

Stella was annoyed that he hadn’t told her, annoyed that she was nnot aware of this change at work or maybe just the change in Macs life that she had not noticed. She burst into Macs office.
‘Why didn’t you tell me one of MEs was missing.’ She sternly said closing the door behing her. Mac put down his phone call at the shock and anger of being interrupted so abruptly.
‘ so you heard?’ he replied.
‘Yes from Sid’
Mac sat back in his chair with a pissed off look on his face. He didn’t like being talked to like this but he took it because it was stella.
‘I left it until absolutely necessary stella, just because worked crossed over with my personal life doesn’t mean that you should be informed about everything'.
‘why didn’t you tell me? She asked, calmer now.
'Forget it stella, it doesn’t matter'.
'I thought we were friends mac. I could have helped you if you were upset'.
Stella was unaware that her helping him was the problem.
Mac said nothing and stella left him there.

It was not until later in the locker room when they met again. She had been avoiding him but they were now left alone, both following the same routine, mirroring each other as they took off there guns and badges, leaving them in there steel lockers. Mac did not turn to address stella, ‘she asked me to move to london’ he said
He did not see stellas reaction to this. Realisation ran through her body, she could have lost him.
‘why would she do that?’ stella asked.
Mac now turned, he wanted her to look into his eyes, to understand.
‘she was jealous of you’ he paused ‘of us’.
It was at that moment when stella had realised that he had chosen herself over peyton. She took a step closer, her eyes softened. Im sorry mac, I never meant for our relationship to get in between you and peyton’
‘I know that’ mac replied.

A comfortable silence filled the room as they continued their daily routine.
She felt as though she should say something. Indirectly she had rendered him alone and now she needed to make up for that. ‘lets get a coffee’

It was in the on the way to sulivans when she made the first attempt at tackling there difficult situation. They had not said a word to each other since then but neither of them had noticed as the comfort of each others presence had not needed speech.

‘im glad… im glad you didn’t leave me.’ She stumbled, treading carefully. ‘ive never had a relationship like this. He half smiled at her, slightly uncomforted at the direction in which this could lead.

Ive never believed in soul mates, he told her. Ive always believed that compatabity of humans relied soley on dna and brain patterns. But if I did, I imagine it would probably feel a lot like this.

--------------------

sorry this took so long, id written it but couldnt get on the internet to post.

more to come... if ya want it :D

On the walk home they cut through central park. The moon was out and lit the path that they followed casting their shadows that melded into the darkness. Their conversation had not stopped that night and they had talked about everything. Neither of them were ready to go home so they sat on a vacant bench, staring up at the stars.

It’s a pity, she said ‘that you were married when we met. We could have been a great crime fighting couple.’ She joked. ‘The bonataylors’ new york crime fighting duo’
Mac smiled at the thought, ‘ no that would be too perfect’ he said with sarcasm. The cold wind blew through her curls and made her move a little closer to him

‘ I was worried once’ he told her still looking at the stars ‘that id married the wrong women’.
His openness had surprised her, she knew he was talking about her but he would never outwardly say it.

She didn’t know how she felt about that. She had always found him attractive but never really contemplated what it would be like to be with him. It was the idea of starting a relationship on top a friendship that was already so strong that fascinated her. What would it be like to kiss someone you’d known for 15 years for the first time? What would it have been like to kiss mac and to feel his lips against hers? The idea tantalised her.

She unconsciously stared at his mouth and Mac turned away from whichever constellation he was admiring and caught her looking.

Can I try something? She said as she faced him.
He said nothing just frowned confused. ‘yes’, he replied cautiously.
The confused look disappeared from his face as stella kissed him.
Every muscle in his body tightened in that second, every thought ran through his mind. He did not move.
Stella had not lingered long and quickly pulled away. It had not been any more than a touch of there lips but it had felt so different.

The embarrassment shone in his face. Mac looked down concentrating on something that wasn’t there.

‘I’m sorry I shouldn’t have done that’, said Stella. Regret ran through her body and made her shiver. Had she broken that trust? Had she ruined the relationship that he had saved?

Mac had not said a word. He didn’t know what else to do. He’d spent the best part of 15 years convincing himself that they were just friends and now on this cold night she had kissed him and set the doubt in his mind. His lips still tingled from where she had been. He had never felt that through a kiss, it was as though they were frozen in time as if, in this busy city, they were the only two in the world.

She couldn’t stay here any longer waiting for mac to tell her that they were just friends to ask her not to do or speak of it again. He had always been a sensible methodical man and her spontaneity would do nothing but push him away. She rose from the bench, ready to leave.

Mac tried to says something to comfort her regret but the words couldn’t come out of his mouth. His tongue was dry and the cold seemed to have paralysed his body. Stella muttered a few words amounting to goodbye and left Mac like a stone statue in the moonlight.

Back