Should Danny and Lindsay really be getting married?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 5, 2009.

?

Should Danny and Lindsay really be getting married?

1. Yes, they've clearly worked out their problems

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Yes, but only because they have a baby on the way

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. No, not now, but maybe at some point down the road

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. No, their history proves they're not right for each other

46 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I doubt they're ignoring it, more that they just don't see things the way you do. Tptb obviously see chemistry and they've written them to be in love, irrespective of how 'believable' that is to everyone. Basically, some people believe, some don't. :)

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Chemistry is definitely a matter of perspective, but I think in this case it was more the real life circumstances of Anna's pregnancy than TPTB thinking Danny and Lindsay are the best couple ever driving the storyline. Before Anna got pregnant, Danny and Lindsay were very much in limbo--and Rikki was going to return. I think Anna's pregnancy necessitated the storyline, and I don't think that was to the best advantage of the show, save perhaps for the visual aspect of not having to hide Anna's pregnancy.

3. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I think that Anna's pregnancy afforded the opportunity to explore the storyline, rather than necessitated the change in storyline. I've seen several shows that have not included a real-life pregnancy and, because we all know it's fiction, we all laugh at the outlandish ways they disguise the pregnancy and enjoy the show anyway. I would rather they give marriage a try, and if it doesn't work then they can both say they gave it their all and move forward from there. What I do see is that since they introduced the baby Messer storyline that the couple has grown together and seems to be moving in the right direction. If anything the storyline has given a sense of resolution to these two that have been on and off for three years now. We never saw enough to really say whether they had a relationship or not. Now thay have one and seem to be working together instead of against each other. That is progress in my book.

4. Top41

They don't need a real life pregnancy to write a fictional one. If they'd wanted to write a Danny/Lindsay pregnancy they could have at any time--Anna didn't need to get pregnant for the writers to script a pregnancy for the characters.

On the flipside, Anna getting pregnant left them with the decision to try to hide her pregnancy again--which they obviously didn't do very well in season three--or write it in.

Given that Rikki was coming back for multiple episodes, it's hard not to wonder if she was supposed to come back carrying Danny's child--especially since her return was scrapped as soon as the decision was made to write Lindsay's pregnancy in.

If the Lindsay pregnancy was really where TPTB were headed, Anna's real life pregnancy wouldn't have caused such a major change of course. But it wasn't--it was a storyline dictated by a real life circumstance. They did the best with what they were handed.

Maybe if the couple had worked in the first place, but they didn't. They had what, one or two happy episodes? There was no basis of a stable relationship there with which to build to a marriage. No foundation, no loving base. Lindsay didn't even want to tell Danny she was pregnant!

I think it's progress, but it's forced progress, dictated by the storyline rather than by anything organic between the characters. I believe that Danny and Lindsay are happy about the baby, but they're still not a team in the way married couples are supposed to be--he lies to her about what he did in "Point of No Return" and is focusing on picking out baby names alone. She texts him with the sex of the baby. That's not a together couple. The marriage, at this point, was a big mistake.

5. CSI Cupcake

Agreed. They don't need a real life pregnancy to script one. But when one is handed to them, I don't blame them for wanting to take advantage of the situation, especially if the characaters have a history like D/L, ambiguous, vague and undefined, which allows the writers room to move in any direction. If they had introduced new love interests for both of them, some of the viewers would like it and some would be scratching their heads asking what happened. We believe what we want to when given a choice.

Just because they didn't show it on-screen we can't say whether or not they were together or not. I mentioned on another thread that after Mack chewed Lindsay out for leaving the evidence out that she should not have wanted to be caught even walking down a hallway with the other person, which is kind of the way she acted.

And who's to say that Rikki won't come back with a little Danny look-alike in tow. Now THAT would make for an interesting corner for Danny Messer to be in. Peter Lenkov said not to count Rikki out yet. There could be all kind of repurcussions from her. She could come in with one of her own, or she could come back and decide that Danny owes her one and takes the baby. What an episode that would be.

Forced progress or not, I like them together, which I know colors how I view all of this. I have to say I was almost afraid to quote you because you debate so well and have your ideas well thougt out. I may leave this one with my tail tucked under but maybe, just maybe we can have some fun with it at the same time. :)

6. Top41

I think they definitely made the best of it, and I agree that it's by no means all bad. It's certainly opened up Danny as a character in some interesting ways. I think it's been an interesting storyline for Danny, though it's highlighted his needy, vulnerable side quite a bit.

I think they were in the early stages of a relationship at the end of season three, but season four was ambiguous. And then Lindsay's reaction to the pregnancy was to shut Danny out. I agree that the pregnancy has defined them as a couple...but it's taken them from zero to sixty in half a season.

Oh wow! Two Messer spawn might be too much for the world to take at once. :lol: But yeah, I wonder how she would feel if she came back to find Danny happily married with a kid...a year after her son died on his watch. That could make for a great episode.

Thank you very much! :) Please don't leave this one with your tail tucked under, because you debate very well, too, and I'm enjoying going back and forth about this with you! It's nice to be able to have a civil discussion with someone who sees things differently than I do. :)

7. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

That sounds more like bad fanfiction and I don't really want a kidnapping episode, to be honest. I would rather they not go in that direction.

8. CSI Cupcake

You're welcome. I'm enjoying this too.

These two have quite a history of slamming the door on each other don't they? Lindsay did appear to shut Danny out when she hadn't told him about the baby in 509. I thought her words were a bit harsh, but Danny did his own share of door slamming in Season 4 when he was with Rikki. There's no denying that he shut Lindsay out in the episode when she offered lunch after Reuben died. He gave her every excuse in the book except for "I have to wash my hair" and even admitted it in their conversation the next day.

And better zero to sixty than the zero to 100 that Danny wanted when he proposed...on the sidewalk...after asking about extra fingers and toes...and right after finding out she was pregnant. Bless his needy little heart!!! I like the character of Danny, and this was true blue Danny Messer at his finest. I thought Lindsay's comment about being pushed down the aisle was about him being pushed, but maybe it was about him pushing her for all the wrong reasons. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one.

Sarah, I wasn't really being serious on that one...just debating a point. I don't want it to happen that way either. Hey, I'm from Virginia too!

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I was just saying there was some speculation about a baby-storyline and that's about the only thing I head :lol:

Lindsay had to deal with the murder trial she had to testify at... told Danny she didn't want to get involved with him then, although she did seem happy to see him when he showed up at the court house. He then pushes her away once they are actually together, but worse - he sleeps with someone else. They really have had their ups and downs.

10. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

There's no doubt in my mind that Anna's pregnancy necessitated Lindsay's pregnancy and took them on their current path. But, I'm also convinced that Rikki's return was not planned to be the end of Danny and Lindsay, and that tptb had the long term view of either having them together or at least having them continue to dance around each other.

Rikki could have turned up pregnant but not necessarily. Whatever the storyline that was planned for her, I still think it wasn't one that would see the finality of Danny and Lindsay. Hints from tptb and the actors indicate that it was unlikely it was planned for it to be the end, in fact tptb didn't really seem clear about how they were bringing Rikki back.

Also, while they obviously changed course with Anna's pregnancy, I doubt they would have written it in if they had originally wanted to end Danny and Lindsay for good. As much as they obviously didn't want to cover up the pregnancy this time around it would surely have been an option if they didn't want them together.

Personally, I would have much preferred a storyline where Lindsay had gone to Danny in PF but that they hadn't actually gotten back together. Maybe a moment of weakness on her part before realising what had happened with Rikki and being unable to see past that. Having them part ways as lovers but recapturing their friendship (because ultimately I would have liked to have seen Lindsay have some level of understanding of why Danny turned to Rikki), only to have Lindsay discover she was pregnant because of that one night would have been interesting.

I think things got so messy for DL that I'd have like to see them start over as friends, even with a baby. It would have felt more real than the current path. But, ultimately I like them together so am hoping we'll get to see some fun moments once the baby arrives.

11. Nerazzurri_89

Nerazzurri_89 Victim

I have mixed feelings on this really. Whilst i think having Danny married(to Lindsay anyway) will limit his character development(i mean really he was/is a great character-so many things could be done with him) i'm kind of glad that's it's all over and done with. I don't think i could have continued watching NY if they were going to continue the will they?won't they? until season 128430.
    Now i can kind of ignore D/L i've accepted it it's just background noise and hopefully other characters can get more screentime.

That could have a been a great way to do it. It could have been interesting to see them trying to bring up a baby as just friends but then again we'd probably end up back to the 'angst' of will they?won't they again? so maybe this truly is the less painful route. Maybe with a baby to play off they'll suddenly develop chemistry, as a family at least.

I'm going to be optimistic anyway :)