Self-defence and fight-sports

Detective_Burn said:

Okay, I see. :) When hitting through boards (by hand) do you wear a kind of protective-tape or something?

Or do you simply get used to the pain? :rolleyes:

Something like a towel or small layer of foam on the board to protect my knuckles from bleeding but other than that: if you hit hard enough and break the board it doesn't hurt. It starts to hurt when you don't break it because all the force applied into the board hits back into your arm usually damaging the knuckles. Had that once. Was painfull for about 2 weeks and sensitive for 4 more weeks. Nothing serious!

ETA:
very important thing if you're thinking about breaking something. Make sure it cannot bounce. If someone is holding the board and that person holds his elbows in an angle and not straight the board will bounce when you punch it and you won't break it and hurt your hand. So make sure the one holding it is holding it proper. If breaking something you can also use two solid tables or chairs whatever. Not light weigth stuff... They can knock over hitting you in the head. Put the board in between like a bridge. cover it with a towel and punch it properly with the right technique that was learned to you in a MA school.

No kicking doesn;t reduce risk of injury. But legs are stronger so more likely to break the board. It is with both kicking or punching the technique and strenght that counts.

Kicking can be really fun but I like to hit it.

Tomorrow my exam starts for my first advanced level sash within our school! I am so nervous!

OMG cant believe that I just found this thread!!!

I do Ju-jitsu, been doing it for 4 years and I passed my 3hour Junior Black Belt exam in March, 25th 2007 and it was a sunday :D

a black belt in 3,5 years!?

with our school you have to train for about 10 years to get skilled enough to get a black belt and you have to be 18 or over because of the responsebility that comes with such a belt.

My friend is either a 2nd or 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do it's funny because she's the sweetest, quietest person you'll ever meet. And her biggest fear is someone attacking her on the street.

I always wanted to take something in self-defense but I never had the time. Well maybe one day.

WhosLaughingNow said:
My friend is either a 2nd or 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do it's funny because she's the sweetest, quietest person you'll ever meet. And her biggest fear is someone attacking her on the street.

I always wanted to take something in self-defense but I never had the time. Well maybe one day.

I thin it is most people's fear to get attacked in the first place. Although I do know that my chance on survival is bigger as then if I would never had the experience of self defence techniques. And it is sure so that although having experience still makes you vunerable.

Just go out and try that self defence stuff... I can really day it is pretty cool! My brother is 26 (i'm 23) and he's a lot bigger and he used to win in struggles for fun and such.. Not anymore ha! He avoides them now haha!

Yeah but she's like really freaked out about it. I never once thought of someone jumping out and stabbing me randomly until I had a fun walk with her and her paranoia.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you started?

In September 2003... So I was 19. I'm 23 now. I am practising for a little over 4 years now. Usually you have about your 3rd or 4th belt by then. I am already doing exams for my sixth at the moment, which is an advanced one. I'm also teaching for two years now. Usually people with 6+ years of experience are allowed to do that only. I used enjoy it way to much. I am not really doing form competition or fighting competition. I just like doing the sport as a non contestant thing. Able to enjoy the things that I thought I was never capable of.

Welcome on this thread WhosLaughingNow also from me: :)

I also think MA should be considered as sports. And it should enable you to defend yourself when someone´s threatening you.

Though I gotta say me personally, I don´t think I´m good in deescalating and stuff. Guess I´m not a persisting personality. :)

I prefer to solve things by remaining cool and calm, whenever possible.

Back