Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New York

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Re: Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New

Ooooh, I *really* like these spoilers about Officer Chambers and Danny, especially the bit about her screwing up and him chewing her out. *In Mac voice from Like Water for Murder when Quinn told him she was going to keep quiet & stay out the way* 'Ha! I was really hoping Danny's new positon would put him in a situation like this, where *he* has to be the one dealing with the consequences of *other people's* screw-ups! I suspect that Mac, if/when he finds out, while being supportive of Danny, might be rather amused too.

Jade, I agree, I *much* prefer Danny on the street to Danny in the lab (well, he was kinda ok in the lab before they decided to make him & Lindsay Siamese twins! Because, you know, married people must *never* be apart :rolleyes:) I think being in a position of responsibility & in a rougher environment might not only give him back his edge but also make him grow up a bit.
    '

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

The development will be good, some maturing maybe. I think they can find a way to make as many of us happy as possible, throw in some happy ship moments while still letting both characters mature on their own and not always throw them together.

I will love to see how Danny handles the screwups when he isn't making them...maybe he'll get a feel for Mac lol

3. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

I'm still a little angry Danny even got the Sergeant's job, IMHO he isn't mature enough for it.

I'm not really familiar with the real life NYPD, is it possible for a Detective Third Grade make Sergeant anyway? I know Sipowicz couldn't make sergeant on NYPD Blue until he was a First Grade Detective, and Wikipedia is no help :p

4. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I'm going to agree with you Rizzoli. I don't really think he's ready for this kind of promotion, and I love Danny (and Carmine!) to death. :cool: And not to start any arguments or anything, but you folks who aren't on the Danny/Lindsay bandwagon, I think TPTB have gone out of their way not to place them in many scenes together. I haven't been taking count, but I don't see that much interaction with those two together. I'm beginning to think the hatred of this ship is making some see things that aren't really portrayed onscreen. This is just IMO...YMMV. :)

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Danny hasn't had any individual development since he became half of DL. Even the Ruben storyline, which should've had nothing to do with Lindsay was reduced to nothing but a stumbling block to DL getting together. I'm positive that was portrayed on screen and the PTB even admitted to it on that season's DVDs. I might not like the ship, but I'm pretty sure I'm not delusional. :rolleyes:

6. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

No, you can't. But since moving up grades as a detective aren't promotions in the sense of actual rank (Sgt, Lt, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if we simply weren't told about Danny making 1st grade. Plus, is there anything official saying he was 3rd grade? Obviously he wasn't 1st grade in s1, but we know how "official" wiki is who puts him at Detective 3rd Grade. I've always gotten the impression that it was the promotion grid for 1st grade that he was on when Mac turned over that multiple victims case to him to see how he handled running things on his own. It's the type of thing somewhat indicative of that position and status. And we're never told when he was put back on the promotion grid after Mac kicked him off it due the events in 'On the Job'. I truly can't see him being penalized by not being promoted for six years...! I think his subsequent attainment of Detective 1st Grade is simply one of those which is lost to the void, and now has to be assumed. Although tbh, I assumed it a while back based on what I just outlined....

7. PerfectAnomaly

In the finale he said he took the Sgt's exam and passed. Doesn't that mean the promotion is dependent on if you pass an exam and not what rank you were prior to the promotion? Or would you have to be a specific rank to even take the test?

8. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

You have to be a specific rank to be eligible for the test. In reality, it takes YEARS to get up the grades as Detective without a "hook" or being "political" :p But this is also the world where DNA results take less than a day, sooooo..... yeah.... :lol: The thing is, the process for making Sgt is somewhat different for patrol cops as opposed to Detectives (don't ask me why...:rolleyes:) As a patrol cop you are allowed to take the test after only 2 years, and then go to patrol supervisory school at the Academy. Not that many do that let alone pass with that little experience, but technically one can.

9. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Danny said he took the Sergeants exam to increase his pay check, and in reality Detective First Grades are paid more than Sergeants, so, he'd have to be a Third Grade to get any sort of increase by making Sergeant, but he'd have to be First Grade to take the exam in the first place.

But CSI:NY has never really been one for accuracy :p

10. PerfectAnomaly

So basically the TPTB's line about being realistic is about as true as it was when Danny and Lindsay were working in the same lab on the same shift while dating and then married. :p :shifty:

11. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Yep, Detective 2nd Grade make about the same pay grade as Sgt, and Detective 1st Grade make about Lt pay.

And yes, quite. Accuracy is not exactly their forte.... :p
    *nods* That would be about right! Not to mention, given Mac abhorrence for politics, unless Claire's dad was high up in the NYPD, there would have been NO WAY he got promoted to head of the crime lab, let alone as insanely fast as he did....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  12. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Hmm. Mixed bag :p.

I'm loving that Danny is working a street beat, or perhaps just out of the labs a bit more. I'm vaguely Hmm on what seems a prototypical character template, "beautiful but tough rookie." (Rings about the same as "brilliant and booksmart but socially inept" :lol:). Dunno if that's just TVGuide paraphrasing or how directly that stems from the show, but either way, I shrug. I also first read that as "beautiful but tough cookie," which was somehow more amusing :lol:.

I am loving that Danny is in a supervisory position, and that NY looks like it will have him dealing with that responsibility onscreen, as opposed to just implying it. I'm Hmm on a public humiliation and Rocky Road wot likely smooths out predictably. ...Mebbe, just mebbe, they'll surprise me ;)

:lol:. But yes. Me too.

Agree! Precisely so. Agree agree agree.

...oh dear :lol:.

a) Just wot I needed, more DL Scoopage :p.
    b) "Once the air is cleared?" Hm. ...or, mebbe, just mebbe, they won't surprise me :lol:. Alas.

Laughing also at PV back in Jedi-Spin-there's-nuthin-there-but-those-who-see-it-will-see-something, all-things-to-all-people type response :lol:. Fair enough, I suppose. Why not capitalize on DL and non-existent drama with no risk :p.

I kinda hope there are indeed no Sparks. I am vaguely unsettled by permutations and combinations of what "Flares Of A Diff'rent Kind" might mean :lol:. I hope Lindsay doesn't start seeing non-existent sparks; I doubt I could stomach DL self-inflicted drama flaring up due internal jealousy or suchlike, nor the resulting emoting on screen. ...just, not my cuppa.

:lol:.

I tend to agree. And while I love Danny/Flack scenes, I think they could be all the more fun now that they're on the same side of the street but not necessarily working together all the time.

And yes, more women on the show is a good thing, especially law enforcement officers.

Agree here too. There's a lot of potential for Messer to get some good screentime, and a story arc that might actually reach beyond the parameters of DL.

From my understanding, one path isn't mandated to achieve the other (?).

I'll try to be brief in explaining, and I'm sure (and hope) someone like Jade will correct me if I'm off ;). What I've gathered is the following:

You are eligible to take the sergeant's exam with 3 yrs on the job, and can be promoted on your 5th year; lists are active for 4 years, so if you don't have 5yrs in, there is time to be promoted. Exams are only held every few years (2 or 3 now?). I believe that a certain number of college credits are also required for Sgt (64?).

What could conceivably take longer is getting a Shield. I don't recall, in the confused history of Danny's backstory, what his path thru the NYPD has been. Usually one has to work in an investigative position for at least 18mos to certain standards, and getting a slot in a unit that provides that is not easy nor a given (Eg. narcotics, vice, auto crime, etc). Who you know is a factor as well as navigating the relative rarity of openings. Performing some humongo exemplary duty might also see one promoted from officer to detective.

As for the grades of detectives. What I gather is that grades are for title and $$. Work is the same. Getting to 2nd could take years of hard work and breaking a huge case, and a boss who recognizes it, and gives credit. If you do a fantastically superb job (over yeeeeeeeears) and get noticed by a big fish, the right big fish, you might get 1rst grade. (Oversimplified, but the gist as I understand it). It's apparently really quite rare to make 1rst, and who you know, and who knows you, definitely comes into play.

Anyways. You can take the Sgt exam at 3yrs, but need five on the job for the promotion. (One can take the Lt. exam after 1 day in rank as Sgt., but need to be in rank at Sgt for 2 yrs before being promoted upon taking & passing the Lt. exam, and I dunno how often that's an opportunity. Bureaucracy :p).

If you pass your Sgt. exam, you're on a list, at a rank determined by how well you did; when they need more bosses, and if you have ranked high enough to fall within the number of people they need, you get tapped; there's then a short period of more training before being officially promoted and moved to your designated command. I dunno what the current passing rates are, but a handful of years ago it was apparently about 25% or so for Sgt, and again, even if you pass, you're not guaranteed to be offered a slot if you're far down the list.

Sergeants are supervisors, and supervise more than doing the work, guiding others. Its a "bosses job," so to speak. Messer should indeed be guiding rookies, etc., not just running about and doing all the stuff himself. (It's kinda like Mac being in his office more than the labs, I would guess; while it's fun to see him doing some hands on stuff, its unlikely he would be). But hey, it is teevee :p. Selective verisimilitude :lol:.

So yeah, sounds like Messer will be in the hot seat now, and responsible for whatever his people do. Have a good squad, dandy, have a few screw ups in yours, and it can allegedly be torturous. There is also a probationary period, just like the rank of police officer. It is apparently possible to have your position taken away during that time.

I'm increasingly curious about how NY will use Danny in this new capacity, (and also possibly for how long).

I think that his past as a bit of an impetuously driven guy does make this step interesting, ie. suitable for dramatic sh*t to go down :lol:. I'm just glad the character is getting something to do. Something deliberately considered for him. Very cool, and overdue.

MMdoesindeedV, :p:) and I generally don't follow bandwagons :lol:.

(What follows from me here isn't intended to be an argument or anything either, just chatting in a slow time, an' all just my own personal feelings on matters ;) :))

TPTB have skated on easy insertions of DL scenes, and that is part of what I'm less than enamoured with. Nobody's in any scene together unless the producers put them there. They seem to put DL there rather frequently :p.

I want to be clear here. I don't hate the ship. Everyone can and should freely ship away, all their respective preference(s). The ship has nothing to do with anything at all :).

The crux for me, I've just gone from ambivalent to utterly and completely exasperated by the onscreen depiction of the DL relationship and by what I personally see as the effect on each character, and also the ripple effect on the show as a whole.

Part of that stems from the fact that an inter-roster romance, by default, means the relationship is always an implied consideration in the finite world of screentime. The sense of that for me is furthered by the fact that both characters seem to get more screen time with each other than with other characters. It's also a two-fer-one coasting, no need to diversify material. Pairing them up to the apparent exclusion of other personal material has hindered each character instead of evolving them. I do not know that's the case in terms of relative screentime, I've not counted teh seconds, but that's what it feels like to me :lol:.

There's no need to have Danny and Lindsay seemingly always working the same crime scenes together, and moreover periodically using other characters to set up plated commentary to ensure that's noticed, there's no need to have cutesy scenes between them in the labs, no need other than to find ways to have scenes between characters in a relationship that the show has troubled themselves to create. Yes, it's understandable. But to me it's become something to be fed periodically (a la Lil Shop o Horrors) rather than a woven part of the life force of the show, detracts rather than lifts - but that's just IMO :lol:. If I didn't have the expectation that where one character is, the other shortly follows, perhaps such scenes would not feel so blatantly predictable.

It's certainly fair to have DL moments. That's on par with other characters getting some moments with whomever they're involved with, or other sorts of personal/family moments. Most times, those instances feel like they are somehow linked to a case, or are written as a deliberate b-line thru an ep. They tend to be reasonably stitched together, even if not essential. When well done, its fun, adds a lil sumthin.

DL aren't a B-line. They're ever-present, no matter the ep, the case, the crime scene, lab bit, yada. They're opportunistically used and inserted, sometimes seemingly more for their own sake, rather than in a moment that's grown out of these two people in a given circumstance.

Personal material on a crime procedural already tends to take on a certain significance or weight, because it's relatively sporadic, the focus is on a weekly case, and less often on character and genre type stuff. So, that each hasn't had any other sort of personal material at all in years, is another reason why, for me, there often seems an undue weight associated with choosing to allot such time predominantly to DL over other possibilities for the characters, and separate possibilities for the characters - part and parcel of that the two-fer-one aspect again.

Further exasperation stems from my feeling that the characters were really secondary to a S5 chosen path to accommodate a set of circumstances, where additional options, even within that choice, were available. Understandable again, but felt a convenient out, but one for me that has proved to have a lasting and sapping impact.

It's also not always about the amount of screentime, but how well it plays too. I find that just about anything given them plays as incredibly Scripted.

I honestly can't and don't begrudge the show using something they've created, nor doling out those few DL moments for their own cute dang sake, but I can't say I particularly enjoy them, nor do I see chemistry that would elevate them.

The potential I once saw in both characters (yes, both) was eroded by an increasingly unimaginative and rather predictable tv relationship. Rare opportunities to push one or both characters proved let downs (10%, Shane Casey, etc).

What can I say :p. I've lost the will to indulge them. The trade off of characters vs. relationship betwixt them has not in the least been worth it, IMO. That's pretty much it for me :lol::).

I will be happy if Messer gets some time to be Messer again, even an evolved Messer, and I'll even take the DL that will inevitably be part of the equation - just give Danny something more to do than the template of his usage has provided in the past few seasons. Stop Lindsay solving cases at the last second by some episode-long processing of some crucial tid-bit revealed at the last second. Use both of them better, and separately. I shrug. I've no expectations. I will very happily acknowledge what surpasses that :lol::p .

So far this season sounds interesting, and mebbe a few corners will be turned :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  13. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

That is exactly right! And also just goes to show how pretty impossible all our heroes careers are... :p But what the hey, it's TV, and if things happened like in real life, Danny would have gotten canned ages ago, Stella could would never have gotten her badge back, and Mac very probably would never have moved out of patrol (transit, yes, patrol, no) after arresting the chief's son :lol:
    Agree, agree AGREE!!! I really am quite tired of Lindsey coming in and going "LOOK! *insert some half-cryptic evidence riddle and totally anti-climatic demo* I've solved the case!" :rolleyes: At this point I have zero expectations too, so anything remotely positive will be a happy surprise :p

And yeah, it does sound interesting, and I am actually becoming increasingly (however guardedly) optimistic about this season :)

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Number 3!!! I didn't watch too much TV before I got into CSI: NY and CSI in early 2009 so I am unfamiliar with most actors on TV.

Danny spoilers sounds great. He's really fit outside the lab as we've seen in some episodes. I also like the idea of a new partner for him. I'm curious to see how he'll handle his subordinates especially during screw-ups considering he had some back in the day. Will he be like Mac or will he be more understanding than him?

15. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

"Claire's Wife"? :p did I miss something? :shifty:

I vote 3, never heard of her :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.