Season 8 Spoiler Discussion #2 - Spoiler Scene: Do Not Cross

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

No, I don't mean Christine and Mac had feelings when he was married to Claire. I meant like maybe Christine and her boyfriend were friends with Mac and Claire kind of thing. Kinda like Claire knew Stella but Mac had no feelings for her even though I'm not sure when Stella met Claire, after she was married to Mac?

But they did kinda tarnish the Claire/Mac image with one episode where it was suggested that Quinn and Mac kissed each other when Mac was still married. But I think Quinn was the one who instigated it.

2. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yep, I hated so much that they did that. It's why it's not unrealistic for me to think that Mac would go out with a subordinate so it's not hard for me to imagine him with Jo or in seasons past with Stella.

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I agree completely...I've said the same thing about why he wouldn't. Unless this OC really clicks somehow, my preference would be an open ended conclusion, that way as many people as possible can be okay with it. Of course, that's if we don't get another season.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Unless there's a series finale marriage it will be open ended. Just because the show ends with Mac and Christine together - if it does - that doesn't mean TPTB intended for them to be together until the end of time. It would just symbolize that Mac was finally ready to move on completely.

I also don't see the kiss with Quinn as something that tarnished Mac and Claire's relationship at all. It was pretty clear - unless I'm forgetting something - that Quinn kissed Mac and he did not reciprocate her feelings. He was very clear with her that he was in love with Claire and that nothing would happen between them.

5. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Except at the time he and Quinn were equals. He wasn't head of the crime lab yet, remember, they both applied for that job. And as for whatever happened between the two of them, I can see why it might seem out of character for Mac, but it really does seem as though Quinn instigated it. Not only that, but there is a particular atmosphere and unique relationship and closeness that you develop in an environment like law enforcement and the military where you rely on the person next to you for your life. There's no equivalent, and it's nearly impossible to describe or relate/understand unless one has experienced it. From how the two of them talked about it in 'Water for Murder', it sounds like they became pretty good friends/colleagues, and Mac blatantly told Quinn that she'd always been good at flirting. I can see the scenario where she kissed him, and he was half taken by surprise and didn't exactly kiss her back, but didn't pull away either.

But as for taking that event as a reason for Mac to go out with Stella or Jo, like I said, him and Quinn were equal colleagues at the time, and the subordinate conflict wasn't applicable back then.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I didn't mean that I can see him going out with a subordinate because Quinn was a subordinate. I meant that sometimes people say that he wouldn't go out with a subordinate because he is such a straight arrow that it would be very out of character. But with that admission of the kiss when he was married to Claire I don't see that arrow being very straight so it wouldn't be out of character for me. It's been a long time since I've seen that scene but I do remember getting the feeling that he wasn't such an innocent receiver. My thoughts were that they kissed and then he regretted it. I think he said something like "it was just a kiss" or "it was one kiss". But I don't remember him saying "you kissed me" or something like that. But like I said it's been a while since I've seen it.

7. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Gotcha. Yeah, I guess, but there's not just the issue of whether he'd have a problem with going out with a subordinate but that he and whoever he went out with would probably lose their jobs over it.

And I agree, from how he talked about whatever happened between him and Quinn, I don't think he was an entirely innocent party. I do think Quinn initiated it, and like I said he didn't stop her. I don't see it having turned into a 'makeout' kiss, because he did put it, "It was just a kiss." Plus he also said, "Some memories, no matter how good, should be forgotten." So no, I don't think he was completely innocent in the whole thing either, but I do think he instantly realized what he'd been playing with, and put a stop it all. His line, "I loved my wife." and the look on his face makes me think he'd enjoyed Quinn's flirting with him, and it all went further than he intended, and when he'd been 'slapped upside the head' so to speakwhen he and Quinn ended up kissing, he'd ground the whole thing to a halt. Speaking from experience, it really is difficult in those sorts of environments to be fully aware of where the line between the intensity of the friendships that develop stop, and an interpersonal one starts... :/ I think maybe too after all that, that Mac became much more rigid with his own personal and departmental rules, just in order to prevent such a thing from happening again. I mean, I've never thought he was and is as straightlaced as he is as 'boss'. He was a Marine, a spec-ops Marine. There's a certain live-in-moment attitude that one has when you routinely live in that much risk of your life.

8. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Mac is a straight shooter...I just can't see him getting involved with anyone from work..regardless of their ranking.

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

He was involved with Peyton and while she was not a part of his "team" per se, they did have to work together on cases and things could've gotten hairy if either of them had to testify in a case and their relationship was public.

That's one of the reasons it's so completely ridiculous and unrealistic that Danny and Lindsay are allowed to be married and work together.

10. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Was my comment about Christine and Mac knowing each other clarified?

11. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

[​IMG]

12. MacsGirlMel

Well I very rarely see them working any of the same cases these days...once every now and then, they do, though.

I wonder if they could have done like regular CSI and had one switch shifts. And I wonder what the real life rules are anyway. Superiors and subordinates are obviously out, hence having Sara change shifts. But there have to be some real life married cops/detectives...I wonder if they just work in different departments or what...the liability is an obvious issue.

13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I remember back when they first got married, one of our members tried to find out the rules. I believe someone from the NYPD that the member spoke to confirmed that Danny or Lindsay would have had to switch precincts (but don't quote me on that) - TPTB, on the other hand, said there was no rule/law/etc against it.

Whether it's an official rule/law or not, it just seems like a bad idea to me when you've got a married couple running into dangerous situations together (and they have in recent episodes, if I remember correctly). Their kid(s) could lose both parents in an instant.

14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I seem to remember an episode of Law & Order where they did an episode about a husband and wife who was married and in the NYPD. In that episode it was stated that one of them could get fired but maybe because they lied about it.

15. MacsGirlMel

That sounds more logical, different precincts. It averts any court disasters and reduces the risk of both getting killed at once. IDK why only the original CSI did it though. *shrug*.

Of course we all know the real trouble is that nothing's accurate on TV these days LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.