Season 7 Spoiler Discussion part 2 - Fighting Crime In Gotham

Status
Not open for further replies.
wh.......huh? :wtf: Now THAT I find impossible to believe. Jo is an unwed mother for god's sake.

I've never heard anything about Gary objecting to Lindsay's unwed pregnancy. Jo is a divorced mother, which is different than being an unwed mother. The latter usually means that the woman got pregnant outside of marriage, which is what Lindsay did. My opinion on Jo is that her son was probably planned. That's the impression I get from Jo anyway. Not saying anyone had a problem with Lindsay's pregnancy storyline for that reason, I'm just stating why any who might have taken issue with it wouldn't feel the same about Jo being a single mother.
Oh i totally get what you're saying. But don't forget, she adopted Ellie as a baby *after* getting divorced, which is the same thing as "unwed mother". I think the correct implication of that statement was actually "sex (resulting in baby) before marriage". (correct me if i'm wrong) Maybe i'm being a bit nit-picky over details, but it bugs me when the real issue isn't directly stated. Because if was being a mother, then Jo adopting Ellie should be the same. But if it's the whole being pregnant (ie sex), then just say so.... :p

and yeah, that 'ulitimate look-back' montage was wierd on a lot of levels.... why all the details about the guy killing the conwoman? :confused: Just bizarre and poorly done all the way around.

Much to catch up on again :p. Can't believe the season is almost done. Seems earlier, especially with only 22 episodes.

Seems a few things keep coming up. Fears for how the show (and potentially series) may end bring forth zombie pinatas :p. I will try to keep this focused on upcoming eps.

Originally Posted by PHANTOMERIK
Ok so I'm sitting here hoping with all my heart that this idea of a possible Mac/Jo hook up rearing it's ugly head again is either some sort of bad April's fool joke or elaborate smoke screen being set up for the season finale come bad dream.
...erm... what Mac/Jo Hook-Up? It doesn't it look like the show will do anything but ever-so-vaguely flirt with the notion, or rather, flirt with a minor attraction and interaction between the characters. That whole !Tension thing.

Nothing unexpected has come up between them this season. Well, OK, I did not expect Jo to have once been an accountant for a burlesque club. Who knew. But other than that, not much :p. I kinda doubt that NY"s Exit Strategy has Mac and Jo crossing any lines. But who knows.

I make no secret that I don't care for Jo and if it was down to me (being honest fess up )and nearly everyone else that given the choice Stella would still be resident and it would ba a case of Jo who.
Nearly everyone else? I don't begrudge anyone their opinion. I do find it curious anyone would presume to speak for an unknown majority.

I was sad to see Stella go. I was definitely keen to see Jo come aboard and what she'd bring. The show needed a nudge. I like both characters. So. Wait. Does this make me one of "everyone else?" Or part of "nearly?" I guess I must be Nearly. So confusing :p.

"Given the choice" is apt. There was a choice.

It was Melina's.

She left.

No one outside the show knows the circumstances nor all that factored in. It is none of our business. The decision rested ultimately with MK. Jo Who came about cos MK declined to continue, making the irreplaceable Stella replaceable. I certainly don't begrudge MK her choice, nor SW for joining. It takes stones to pursue something new. Both MK & SW did.

However if we must endure her presence instead of the irreplaceable Ms Bonasera then at least TPTB should do us the courtesy of keeping Jo and Mac's relationship purely PLATONIC
So far as I know, having seen all the eps (so far) this season, their relationship is purely platonic. Has been. All season. Looks like it will remain such.

(And I very much doubt it has to do with a courtesy extended).

we've more than earned our right to a happy Smacked ending over the years
There were no promises made. Mac and Stella's relationship was platonic as well. What, there should be an order of seniority of time-in determining which relationship, if any, should be pursued, even in absentia? :p.

Further, why should a procedural aim for a champagne ending.

Setting aside the continued presumption of a royal "we," I also don't see how one fandom demographic should be given preference over any other, nor over fans and viewers who may not so affiliate themselves.

go out with a little class.
A designed two-part internal cliff-hanger sounds like it is upping the echelon of class. By way of scale if nothing else. And Peter Fonda is certainly nothing to sniff at as a guest. Dunno too much about 7.22 yet.

The fact that they had a little time and initiative to contemplate whether the season 7 finale might be a series finale, and try to produce one that would be satisfying either way, also speaks to a certain class; of intent, of their own affection for the show and the characters, and of their acknowledgment of their viewing audience.

We'll hafta wait and see what they actually managed to put together of course, my glass typically half full may wind up being bounced off a screen :lol: but for now I'm sipping contently.

I'm so with you PHANTOMERIK. If this is the last season of CSI:NY, then let it be open-ended, NOT via cliffhanger but Mac/Jo be an open-ended idea and it's up to audiences to decide if it were to go further, but also not piss off the huge legions of SMacked fans
It sounds like the tack taken may be more along the lines of The City Never Sleeps. In other words, if not open-ended then undetermined. You are likely to have, in large part, what you wish for.

My apologies, but I remain unconvinced that Smack is a consideration for the writers. Why would they shortchange the characters they have for one who is no longer available. Besides, apparently some Smack fans are already pissed off.

At this point, honestly, what does the show have to lose. It may be done, it may get another season. This season is in the can, either way. What could they have done but continue to proceed as they see fit (or wrap it up as they see fit.)

To date, Jo and Mac have resisted the urge to jump each other.

At this point, I'm pretty much at the point of saying "so what" if they ever do.

If this Mac/Jo thing that was pulled out of the trash pile becomes canon and CSI:NY actually is gone, it might as well be that I, PHANTOMERIK, Lori K., Macsgirlmel, Karlia, and other SMacked/Stella/Melina fans might as well kick the shows corpse around like a soccer ball or use the shows dead body like a pinata. :mad::angryrazz:
Now that's classy :lol: Dude. Being perpetually up in arms must get exhausting.

Good lord, you'd nearly think Jo had been introduced the morning after a night before with Mac, partaken shortly after he'd driven Stella to the airport :lol:. Jo wasn't so introduced. Minus the airport, that was Peyton's gig :p. Jo was introduced over a corpse. Not the show's. Not Smack's. That of a fictional character in service of a plot. Getting on with S7.

Obutwait. Wait a sec. Peyton said Mac was a good cook and Mac said something about burgers. AndomgbutMacjustofferedtobuyJoaburger afterJosaidMacwouldmakeagoodDad sowhatdoesit!mean holycrapthey'regonnasleeptogether andthenskipoverseas butnotgreece andadoptagazillionkidsfromimpoverishednations anddrinkchampagne owaithesaid beer ifonlyhe'dsaid hotdogs itmightameantStella andthenallwouldberightwiththeuniverse... :p

I understand some people miss Stella. I understand some people don't like Jo. I understand some shippers resent that their ship was never made canon. I understand some shippers resent even that the mere possibility exists that a different pairing has the potential of being made canon whereas their favored one was never realized. Flack and Danny could also get together and ride off to Georgia in slow motion. Sheldon could dump Camille and buy Adam a sparkly belt. Or a bejewelled carrot bong. It's all on the same realm of possibility. The show could go out with all manner of quadruple rainbows out the wazoo (take that on any level ya like, kids :p). Would be a fun Exit Strategy, but not one I'd bet on. Still. Ya never know.

(Then again, mebbe the implied tragedies will deepen relationships. I mean, who knows who Adam might get to sleep with this time :p )

The show has been taking a beating from some since MK left, simply because she left. I suppose it would be silly of me to ask, why kick the show around as a pinata on certain fears before respective eps have even aired and their true content made known?

CSI: New York Boss Teases an "Amazing Nemesis" for Mac
Thanks. Fun to read :)

WANT MORE? CSI: NY Producers Talk Danny-Lindsay Love
...erm...NO, BUT THANKS FOR ASKING. :lol:. Am unenticed. Not my cuppa.

There are moments within their relationship that we get to see as Hawkes plays a little bit of hooky and starts to wonder if she's a bad influence or good influence? Is there a part that maybe excites him, does it mesh with his personality? How does that work with his responsibilities on the job? Those kinds of issues come up for him and it's interesting.
...well, that is something that they accomplished, granted. Seen in that light there's less for me to quibble with, I suppose :p. I still hope to get to the grading thread to comment on that ep at some point.

We set something up—I don't want to get too much into the finale but something comes up where they just start thinking a little bit more about the future. I don't want to tease that too much and honestly in these last few episodes—because we dealt with Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) and Lindsay (Anna Belknap) so heavily at the end of last season with Shane Casey (Edward Furlong) and everything that happened up at the lighthouse with Lucy, the truth is we kind of took a step back so we could pay a little more attention to Jo and her relationship with her kids and the daughter that she adopted.
If stepping back meant no overt plot lines (except for that whole medal and pshrink business), and no constant references, reminders, and foisted moments of cuteness made periodically, complete to enlisting other characters in doing so, even EDNA (never happens, hell, I'd almost forgotten they were a couple), but there were actually a few efforts here and there made to write material for either character separate from DL (which there admittedly was), then yes, they sure stepped back.

:p. don't get me wrong. I'm glad Jo got some attention. But DL surely haven't suffered for lack of it. Food for Thought was just the latest example wot proves that :lol:.

There's a two-episode arc, episodes 20 and 21, where we introduce Peter Fonda. His character is Mac's old partner, back in the day when Mac first joined the NYPD, he had a few years on Mac in the department and they dealt with things differently. They always had a different perspective on law enforcement and how they do the job. But an old old case comes back to haunt them and through episodes 20 and 21 you learn what that is and what their differences are and how that comes to a head. To see two heavyweights like Gary Sinise and Peter Fonda is a lot of fun.
This sounds promising.

I'm looking forward to seeing someone from days when Mac wasn't top dog, should be fun. Someone who knows him in a way different from his team is interesting. Someone who was a more experienced partner with a different approach to the job is interesting, especially if they butted heads in a serious way. A case/criminal that targets the partner as opposed to Mac is a welcome twist, given that Mac has had his own criminal fan club over the years :lol:.

To have someone like Peter Fonda guest on the show, and have a lot of scenes opposite Gary should be good viewing. To have an action-heavy arc also sounds like fun. Looking forward to it.

Our spoiler sleuthing on CSI:NY never stops, so when sharp eyes spotted a CSI: New York filming sign—not in downtown L.A., which the show usually dresses to make look like NYC, but a horse-filled rural Los Angeles suburb—we had to grill coexecutive producer Zachary Reiter about it. He relented and told us: "Uh-oh, uh-oh. That was the finale. Suffice to say that it takes us out of New York City for a stretch."
....If the season (and possibly series) finale ends with Danny and Lindsay riding horses in slow motion, I might strain something. :scream:
:lol:.

I'm hoping this is more indicative of the show heading further afield while on a case, ie. pulling an NCIS, what with their fondness for turning California into Arizona and suchlike. Could be flashbacks or something similar too?

From what I've heard, the main reason behind the pairing/marriage of Danny/Lindsay was Gary Sinise's objection to having a character on the show be an unwed mother.
Rly? ...Curious, as the saying goes.

I would be hugely surprised if GS at all cared about a main character being an un-wed single parent. A network suit somewhere, on the other hand, mebbe. And yet. Among all the stuff the show has written over the years, story wise and character wise, there'd be a problem on that front? Not something I'd give much credence to.

Some of ya point out Jo/Ellie. Might I also point out that Mac's wife, Claire, had a baby out of wedlock and gave it up for adoption? Being Reed? There didn't seem to be issues there as part of a back-story :p.

I shrug. Rather irrelevant to me, but for the implication that GS is somehow responsible for the current state of DL :lol:.

I don't really know why the show chose to write in the pregnancy in S5, but they certainly changed the direction of a few things when they did. Unlikely that didn't come from higher up.

They shelved their plans to have Danny & Lindsay move in separate directions, and wrote the characters predictable hurdles en route to a conventional family, and a relationship that since has dominated the majority of their screen time. Some enjoy it. Can't say I'm one.

I don't know if it's supposed to be relevant to the finale or not. It seems a bit random - showing the personal storylines makes sense, but why show so much of the cases themselves? IDK, what do you guys think?
I thought it was odd. Especially showing so much of the Lindsay crap from the premiere.
They always seem rather oddly selected compilations to me :lol:.

Back and forth on whether to go clicky w/ all this. Clicky won. Editing lost. Sry.

Last edited:
Obutwait. Wait a sec. Peyton said Mac was a good cook and Mac said something about burgers. AndomgbutMacjustofferedtobuyJoaburger afterJosaidMacwouldmakeagoodDad sowhatdoesit!mean holycrapthey'regonnasleeptogether andthenskipoverseas butnotgreece andadoptagazillionkidsfromimpoverishednations anddrinkchampagne owaithesaid beer ifonlyhe'dsaid hotdogs itmightameantStella andthenallwouldberightwiththeuniverse... :p
:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: Funniest thing i've read in ages!! :guffaw: Brilliant!

Jo is a divorced mother, which is different than being an unwed mother. The latter usually means that the woman got pregnant outside of marriage, which is what Lindsay did.

although quite frankly anyone conservative enough to have issues with unwed mothers should, by rights, also have issues with divorce. both are to quote conservativism, "destroying marriage/the family/whatever".

i just want to point out here btw that i hold no such views. in my opinion marriage AND the family are social constructs and therefore should be destroyed. that's not to say people shouldn't be together and have kids if that's what they want (and regardless of status), just that these moral criteria that are so hellbent on maintaining the status quo are (a) outdated, (b) socially constructed by those with vested interests in the status quo, (c) political tools and (d) categorically NOT inherently right.

*trundles back to politics thread*

CBS posted this ultimate look back video - I don't know if it's supposed to be relevant to the finale or not. It seems a bit random - showing the personal storylines makes sense, but why show so much of the cases themselves? IDK, what do you guys think?

hmm i suspect such a release hints at the end. although my first thought was "how can they post a video with a look back when we, the viewers, know more about the characters' timelines and history than they do most of the time?!"

I make no secret that I don't care for Jo and if it was down to me (being honest fess up )and nearly everyone else that given the choice Stella would still be resident and it would ba a case of Jo who.
Nearly everyone else? I don't begrudge anyone their opinion. I do find it curious anyone would presume to speak for an unknown majority.

I was sad to see Stella go. I was definitely keen to see Jo come aboard and what she'd bring. The show needed a nudge. I like both characters. So. Wait. Does this make me one of "everyone else?" Or part of "nearly?" I guess I must be Nearly. So confusing :p.

"Given the choice" is apt. There was a choice.

It was Melina's.

She left.

No one outside the show knows the circumstances nor all that factored in. It is none of our business. The decision rested ultimately with MK. Jo Who came about cos MK declined to continue, making the irreplaceable Stella replaceable. I certainly don't begrudge MK her choice, nor SW for joining. It takes stones to pursue something new. Both MK & SW did.

*hearty applause*

indeed, this person that speaks for this apparent majority hasn't got a clue. i know several people, all of whom are genuine fans of the show, who really didn't like stella all that much to begin with and prefer jo. however, none of them would presume to speak for all fans. and like you said, it was HER CHOICE. end. of. discussion.

wh.......huh? :wtf:

btw, you're welcome ;) :p :D

...:guffaw:....
Heh, thx :p. Was rather unable to restrain myself. Sometimes I just cave :lol:.

hmm i suspect such a release hints at the end. although my first thought was "how can they post a video with a look back when we, the viewers, know more about the characters' timelines and history than they do most of the time?!"
Dunno. I think they do these every year, or have done for the past few. A way to hype the finales, and/or eps that take place during sweeps. Doesn't mean to say there isn't additional portent :p. But, not how specifically I read the release of the clip anyways. Oddly done, no matter what the intent :lol:

I totally disagree with Cactus's marriage stuff...don't think it's outdated at all and wonder why many say that, myself. And on the same hand, I can see why there are off topic boards LOL. I've seen boards die from not seperating the two.(I haven't seen a thread of that type down there, but then I tend to stay away from the heavy stuff so *shrug*....unless it's that world politics thread, which I don't often venture into. Am going to browse what's down there although I miss the extra pages at the bottom) *stops talking about OT stuff before the mods jump in*

To drag this back on topic and stay out of trouble, the differing ship opinions are why I support the open ending we've been mentioning...you can't make everybody happy and that runs the least risk of garnering a lot of complaints. We can essentially create our own ending.

I agree on the comments about MK...they had to replace Stella because she left...you can't make someone stay. I do sometimes wish she'd say why, but we can't force our way into something they want kept confidential either. I'd love to still have her on the show, but I'm not going to say I hate Jo either.

I never saw the DL thing as being anything connected to the unwed mother stuff, unless I missed some articles somewhere lol. Especially since they hid one pregnancy, they could hide the other if they'd wanted.

Last edited:
I don't know why Melina left, either, but I've always suspected it was because she wanted to further explore the horrible Stella backstory set out in "Grounds for Deception", and when the showrunners, for once recognizing turd when they sniffed it, refused, she flounced. I also think that they asked her to take a pay cut, and she saw that as the final insult.

Bear in mind that this is pure speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Papakota was Stella's father! And we'd meet her half brother/sister who's an ex-convict or a murder suspect and she's forced to let him/her go. LOL! Glad the show didn't get that soapy.

I don't know why Melina left, either, but I've always suspected it was because she wanted to further explore the horrible Stella backstory set out in "Grounds for Deception", and the showrunners, for once recognizing turd when they sniffed it, refused, she flounced. I also think that they asked her to take a pay cut, and she saw that as the final insult.

I agree with your speculation. I remember reading somewhere that the first offer was a pay cut and when she flounced they offered to extend her contract at the same pay and she walked. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do remember seeing it somewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised that she'd be pissed if they didn't want her self serving, piece of bad!fic to determine future storylines for Stella.

Dunno. I think they do these every year, or have done for the past few. A way to hype the finales, and/or eps that take place during sweeps. Doesn't mean to say there isn't additional portent :p. But, not how specifically I read the release of the clip anyways. Oddly done, no matter what the intent :lol:
[/QUOTE]

they have?! i guess i missed that! oh well.

I don't know why Melina left, either, but I've always suspected it was because she wanted to further explore the horrible Stella backstory set out in "Grounds for Deception", and the showrunners, for once recognizing turd when they sniffed it, refused, she flounced. I also think that they asked her to take a pay cut, and she saw that as the final insult.

I agree with your speculation. I remember reading somewhere that the first offer was a pay cut and when she flounced they offered to extend her contract at the same pay and she walked. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do remember seeing it somewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised that she'd be pissed if they didn't want her self serving, piece of bad!fic to determine future storylines for Stella.

i also agree....

without wanting to go OT, just to point out to MacsGirlMel - my point wasn't to argue the status of marriage in society (although i do genuinely believe that and can defend it quite strongly), but more to point out that if gary is, as you suggested, conservative enough to not wish to feature an unwed mother in the show, then he should, unless he's a hypocrite of the highest order (which i doubt) be equally against having a divorced mother. you (and others) suggested that a divorced mother would be somehow preferable as acceptable show material in the eyes of someone with that worldview. i would argue that, assuming that worldview both would be as "bad' as each other. especially considering mr s converted to catholicism. that's all i was saying.

[/ot]

Press release 7.22

FOLLOWING A NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE, MAC BECOMES DETERMINED TO CLOSE HIS LAST REMAINING UNSOLVED CASE, ON THE SEVENTH SEASON FINALE OF "CSI: NY," FRIDAY, MAY 13

Michael Irby ("The Unit") Guest Stars as Kenny Hexton, One of the Suspects in the Unsolved Crime

"Exit Strategy" - Following a near-death experience, Mac becomes determined to close his last remaining unsolved case, on the seventh season finale of "CSI: NY," Friday, May 13 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS:
Det. Mac Taylor........................ .... Gary Sinise
Jo Danville...................................... Sela Ward
Danny Messer................... Carmine Giovinazzo
Dr. Sheldon Hawkes....................... Hill Harper
Det. Don Flack............................. Eddie Cahill
Lindsay Monroe Messer............ Anna Belknap
Adam Ross.................................... AJ Buckley
Dr. Sid Hammerback...................... Robert Joy

GUEST CAST:
Natalie Dalton............................. Lisa Sheridan
5 Year Old Olivia Dalton.......... Shaya McCord