Rory Cochrane

Right at Your Door sounds like it's going to be a great film. The scenario is a nightmarish one, and I liked what Rory said about trying to make the character who is debating about whether to let his wife in the house sympathetic, or at least understandable. I can't wait to see it!

Okay, so I saw "A Scanner Darkly", and can I just says - it is an amazing, gobsmacking, outstanding film. It's easily one of the best films I have ever seen, and I'll be going back to see it again. (I think I'm up to four viewings now!)

(No spoilers ahead, I promise!)

Rory is actually one of the highlights of it, even though he's frequently left out of reviews of the film. Freck is both a comedy and a tragedy of a character - he's a source of ridicule even to his fellow addicts, and he embodies everything they don't want to become. Yet at the same time, he's endearing for all of the qualities that make him so pathetic. Freck is an underdog, a failure, a joke. Yet he's polite, and quiet, and socially awkward - fuelled by his drug use, which leads him into increasingly scary places. His scenes are frequently laugh-out-loud funny, and he provides much of the comic relief of the film.

Rory actually opens the film - and I think it's one of my favourite film-openings ever - the music and Rory's awesome acting (we're talking full-body spasms and twitches) are just perfectly complimented. I've seen a few people say how awed they were by Rory's performance, both in terms of how physically demanding it was, and how much effort he put into it.

If you've not seen it yet - be aware it's a deep, thoughtful film and you shouldn't go into it expecting a cartoon-lite thing where everything is handed to you on a plate. There's another interview with Rory elsewhere online where he says it's a film that makes you think and the viewer has to do a little work to get it properly - and I totally agree. I love this kind of film, one that makes my brain work as well as giving my eyes a treat, and if that sounds like something you'd like (and you want some naked Rory!) get along and see it. It's not a major-release film, so it deserves some love.

^That's a fantastic review of the film and Rory's involvement in it, Lyn! I like what you say about his character, and agree with it. It does take a bit of delving into to really see all the levels, but I like that in books and the same is true of well-made films.

The opening sequence really is great!

Saying that, I'm still shallow enough to pay extreme attention to naked Rory and try to imagine him underneath that roroscoping. Go me!

I really loved your review of 'A Scanner Darkly' Lyn :D I felt the same way about the film, so it's great to here your side of it as well. Looks like we both enjoyed the film. (And not just because Rory was naked for three and a half minutes :p)

I agree with Top. the opening sequence is phenominal, and it really pulls you into the movie. It's such an intense scene.

I'm so happy that Rory carried a lot of the comic relief in the movie. I was in stitches at some of the scenes, and even though he wasn't in very many, his character still managed to show depth and innocence (Mainly because of his drug use)along with how he was always the butt of the jokes, and made fun of by his so-called friends. Those elements really drew me to the character. :)

Perhaps we should start a Scanner Darkly thread in the General Media forum? I could discuss the film all day, but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it by posting things here.

And I totally agree with your last paragraph speed_cochrane - I loved the fact Freck isn't as nasty as some of the other characters. In fact, he's scared and disgusted by their behaviour at times. He just comes across as a very frightened guy, trying to live his life in peace, and scared it might fall out from under him at any minute.

I could have sworn I started a thread for 'A Scanner Darkly' a long while ago in the General TV & Media forum. I could do a search for it if you'd like.

- And I agree with you about how he seems like a very frightened person. Although that probably has something to do with the drug use, but he seems like such a fragile soul. Hee.

EDIT: So I went back and searched, and it turns out I never started a thread for 'A Scanner Darkly'. :lol: I must have been meaning to, but it never happened. So if you'd like to start the thread, be my guest. :D

I hate the writers of CSI: Miami for that. They could of:

Had Speed become a CSI somewhere else.
He could of took a Holiday.
He could of come off his Bike and been stuck in the hospital for months.
Anything but kill him.

*heads after CSI: Miami writers with axe*

And i wish Him the best of luck in his films.

I love Speed! I cried when that episode was shown, and then I cried again when it was repeated! It was so sad! I cry at everything! :(

Tequesta said:
I love Speed! I cried when that episode was shown, and then I cried again when it was repeated! It was so sad! I cry at everything! :(

I know what you mean it has been just over a year since I first seen "Lost Son" and I still cry everytime I see it. I HATE the writers of CSI: Miami. :mad: :(

Back