Remembering 9/11

Re: 7 Years Since 9/11

^^
Thank you. I never regret joining the AF, and now have been in for over 8 years now.

I remember during those days, an important international conference with several presidents was taking place. Former Chilean President Ricardo Lagos said to several journalist off the record: "Take note gentlemen, this is not an accident, this is the day the whole world is gonna change forever".

But for people, change or not, it doesn't matter that much. Not when you lost somebody. A brother, mom or dad, a friend. Someone who was loved and missed and still is... my God, i just send my love to all the people who lost a beloved one in 9/11, and to those fireman, cops, doctors, volunteers who gave everything to help and relief the pain, you have my eternal respect.

Just mentioning a coincidence: US were attacked in 9/11. In my country, a coup was declared in 11-S, in 1973 when president Salvador Allende was murdered in the goverment palace of La Moneda. It took us almost 20 years to regain freedom, have a democratic election and recover our identity as a country. A lot of people died during those years, some people was never found again. My love and respect to all of those families who lost a beloved one in Chile 1973.

I know I'm all late and wrong, but what the heck.

I was a Senior in high school. I thought that I knew it all, and that I was standing on top of the world. School just started, and I was determined to make it my best year ever, grades wise. I had a goal of getting straight A's all four marking periods. I remember rushing out of my house that day (I live about two minutes from my school, and would leave with like 5 minutes before the last bell, lol) and I remember looking at the sky and thinking, "My God what a beautiful day." And it was. The sky was this clear blue with not a cloud in the sky, and the sun was shining so brightly.

I got to school, and had my Honors English and History class, where we talked about Greek and Rome mythology. Then, I went to Math 4, where we were learning the whole sine/cosine/tangent thing. Then, I had lunch, and my friend came up to me, sat down, and asked our little group, "Did you hear about the Twin Towers? A plane hit it." I was like, wow, just thinking that it was a simple accident.

I had my cosmetology/shop next, and we walked into the room, and it was like a scene in a movie, cause I looked up, saw the TV, and I just knew that it wasn't an accident. There was absolute chaos on the screen, as you saw images of NYC, DC, and Shanksville, PA flashing across the screen. I remember my shop teacher being in a flat out panic, as her son is a pilot, her one daughter is a flight attendant, and her other daughter lives fairly close to the World Trade Center area. Thank God that they were all okay, but as the news unfolded in the next hours, I learned that many were not.

The rest of the day after that is a blur, honestly. I remember trying to call my mom on the phone, but the cellular networks were all messed up, and I finally got a hold of her using my friend's phone. I flat out left school, cause I didn't want to be there (I never got in trouble...) I remember going home and watching my tape of The Today Show (I had taped it every day cause I adored Katie Couric) and the images were scary. Katie, at 8:30, had told Al Roker that it was a beautfiul day, just like I had though a mere hour before that. The images from the show, from the original breaking news to the sheer uncertainty that set in with the anchors when the second tower was hit to the Pentagon being struck to the collapsing of the towers was just insane.

My mom and dad had both said before that day that everyone from their generation could remember where they were when JFK was shot. That never really meant anything to me until 9-11 happened.

Today, I am working to get a job in the field of education. I am currently working as a sub, and I was kinda nervous about that day, wondering what would happen and if the kids would ask me about that day and what I felt. I'm new at subbing, and don't want to cross any lines, you know? Fortunately, they didn't, save for a few comments about it being "Twin Towers Day" but it kind of makes me wonder how/why 7th graders don't see the importance of the day.

I can only pray that nothing like that ever happens again. The day was terrible and filled with uncertainty that I personally never want to face again. God Bless America and God Bless our Troops.

This was a horrible horrible day..
My moms birthday is September 11th so I always feel a little guilty that we never feel appropriately respectful towards families effected on this day :(

I can't believe 9/11 was eight years ago! :(

I was a sophomore in high school then, in my third period class when I found out about the Trade Towers being attacked. I was totally freaking out, because I knew the Trade Center was like pretty damn important (though five months earlier, when my parents and I were taking a train from Boston to DC, I didn't think so), I knew that my dad's work in Boston was pretty much like that. Fortunately he was ok, and so was my uncle, who works 45 minutes from the Trade Towers.

I get sick every time I see those buildings burning :(

Back