'Ponderous Superficialities' An Amusing Critic's Perspective

very interesting thread...

The difference between the beach scenen in 'Innocent' and 'Death Pool 100' is that the team actually work a case on the beach in 'Innocent'.
The 'Death Pool 100' ending was only cheesy and pointless.
I would have also prefered a scene where they had lunch together or had drinks together like they showed us in some NY and LV episodes.

One of the most amazing things about the show to me, is the way every crime is solved in one day. You would think in a show like CSIM - depending so much on flash and dazzle - that the actors would want more opportunities to change clothes!

Great idea for a thread, Luce.

Thats funny you mentioned that because I've always wondered why Alexx (who wears her scrubs while doing autopsys) will actually change into a designer suit just to walk out into the hallway to give Horatio or someone results! Who really does that??!!

So, do you feel that the show lacks depth and substance? If so, do you care? Is it just all about 'sunny escapism and glorious emptiness'?
Lacks depth? Yep. I'd say it does. Do I care? Yep. CSI: Miami used to be my favorite of the CSI's. But I've been loosing interest, and that makes me sad. This show is starting to be all about 'Image', and 'Image' is something I've fought against my whole life. I'd love to get some depth back.

Re: 'Ponderous Superficialities' An Amusing Critic's Perspec

drgnldy said:
One of the most amazing things about the show to me, is the way every crime is solved in one day. You would think in a show like CSIM - depending so much on flash and dazzle - that the actors would want more opportunities to change clothes!

Great idea for a thread, Luce.

:lol: Exactly!
This thread is awesome, keep those reviews coming, Luce!

OK, hands-down: CSI:Miami was my favorite of all three CSI shows for its first 3 seasons, but afterwards it became more and more...boring.
It's sad but it's true. In the first seasons we saw some very subtle episodes, the team acted like a team, I even liked H back then (sorry, don't wanna offend anybody, he's just not my fav ;) ), but now there is nearly no suspense at all. Super-H is saving Miami - including the whole world as a side effect - as a one man army each day, people are drowning with their cars, got shot while wearing an invisible bulletproof vest and didn't catch a single scratch at all - the Iron Lady Calleigh Duquesne is born! and so on... THOUGH I'll keep on watching it, perhaps because I'm too bored, a little masochistic or just because I'm blond: I need my every week dose of the Miami sun ;)

Thank you soooo much for making this thread Lucy. I have much to say on this subject. You'll have to keep this thread updated with all of the S5 reviews they're going to do, because they're very entertaining reads, indeed.

Lacks depth? Yep. I'd say it does. Do I care? Yep.
Alas, I do as well. There may be many reasons why TPTB all of a sudden decided to completely turn the little world contained in that crime lab upside down during the hiatus between seasons three and four; I think they did it because they knew the show was becoming enormously popular and wanted to appeal to a broader demographic. Perhaps they thought that by adding the demographic that enjoys boobs-n-bombs, they would not only bring in more viewers to keep their stellar ratings but in turn bring in the advertising dollars that go with said ratings. If that were the case, I'd cry greed on the part of TPTB and CBS for perverting an otherwise great show for the sake of extra revenue, but sadly that should be expected for any company that has a product that continues to generate revenue: tweak things a little bit and more money will come.
The one thing that has irked me above all else is the degradation of the Horatio character into that of a mere punchline for the comedians. Once a magnanimous romantic hero, Horatio has become inhuman, a robot who lately has done nothing but emerge from the depths of the crime lab (presumably doing nothing but standing around as others do the work) to stand sideways and stare at a victim as Frank gets him up to speed; this is followed by Horatio spouting off an horrible one-liner to usher in the opening credits followed by 52 or so more minutes of borderline brain-numbing absurdity with boobs-n-bombs and a few minutes of more down-to-earth programming in the form of commercials inbetween.
I think the apex of the absurdity that 'Miami' has become would have to have been the end of "Death Pool 100" with the flagrantly obvious references to the number 100 and the painful beach-walking sequence. I knew then that the glorious days of yore (seasons one through three of course) would never come back and this soapy over-sexed version is probably here to stay. That and the unnecessary split screens which make my blood boil.

EyeHeartH, I love your summary of Horatio's current lacklustre role on the show. Spot on and very well said. :)
followed by Horatio spouting off an horrible one-liner to usher in the opening credits followed by 52 or so more minutes of borderline brain-numbing absurdity with boobs-n-bombs and a few minutes of more down-to-earth programming in the form of commercials inbetween.
I'm sorry to say that this Miami viewing experience is the same for me too at the moment. There is barely any substance to it at all anymore. It has changed a lot in my eyes. If it had always been this way, I wouldn't have become a fan in the first place.

I will certianly keep this thread updated :D and possibly post some references to Season 4 too, as for me, that's when the downward spiral started to take full effect.

Well said, EyeHeartH! All of it. And this part:

adding the demographic that enjoys boobs-n-bombs, they would not only bring in more viewers to keep their stellar ratings but in turn bring in the advertising dollars that go with said ratings. If that were the case, I'd cry greed on the part of TPTB and CBS for perverting an otherwise great show for the sake of extra revenue, but sadly that should be expected for any company that has a product that continues to generate revenue: tweak things a little bit and more money will come.

I think about this often, and wonder at what point an idealistic, young writer becomes jaded,and buys in to the ways of the business, finally selling out for survival and financial gain. I think you must have to sacrifice good story telling to flash and sex and glamour and image. . .and do any of them ever feel a sense of self betrayal? (Sorry, I'm an interior sort of person.)

Survival is about generating revenue, and caring about the quality of the product is probably dangerous. How else to explain quality programing that only lasts one season, because it commits the unpardonable sin of putting good story telling above selling a product.

I am giving this show one last chance, and if it hasn't drastically improved early in the new season, I'll consider it irredeemable.

First off, I do agree w/ all this, but have to ask..is it possible that were so unsatisfied w/ Miami because we come here & read into spoilers & interviews, ect.? i've wondered this because I liked S5 up until, oh, i think "broken home" & then it went downhill for me, thats also when I joined CSIfiles & got addicted to spoilers & such. Is it 'cus we know too much before we see the epi & then get disappointed? I'm just curious to see how anyone else feels about this, Is there anyone who goes "spoiler-free" who still feels jipped of good storylines when they they watch an epi not knowing ANYTHING about the plot?

:) :) Mjszud , I think there's more than a few grains of truth in what you've said. We spend hours reading and writing in this forum, checking out all the spoilers, responding "yea" or "nay" to others remarks.

These activities are bound to affect our attitudes and our expectations, so there's always going to be a letdown at the end. :p Anticipation is often far more gratifying than realization. :p

:devil: :devil: Having said that, the comments in this thread are 'on target' for the most part. The show has misplaced (I hate to say lost) its spark, its unique qualities. As was mentioned, tptb are into a ratings frenzy, losing sight of the bigger picture, that of maintaining an exceptional product for the duration. :devil:

:confused: :confused: Could there be 'trouble in River City' that would account for some of these less desirable changes? We would have no insight there; however,we do know the integrity has been seriously compromised from internal/external(?) causes. Surely we're not the only ones who notice!! :confused:

:lol: Can this decline be remedied? Certainly. Will tptb take back the reins and restore it to its former quality status?

;)We shall see.

Exactly! I guess the real question is; are they even remotely aware that fans feel this way or are they so caught up in being #1 that they dont care? I know we, here at CSIfiles are not the ONLY fans they have, there are millions aside from us, ones who probably don't go to blogs to express thier views on the show, I wonder how they feel about it? Surely its not just us! Maybe someone should suggest a nationwide poll during the episodes where viewers can text in to vote or something! It probably wouldn't work, I think I remember once Ann Donahue saying she doesn't read reviews or e-mails. Well, as CSIs say: the truth is in the evidence & if the evidence is that; being the #1 watched show in the world, then were screwed at trying to get our point across to them! :)

:rolleyes: I'm not sure that #1 Status is still accurate.

:confused: Wasn't that from 2005? Maybe that's changed, also.

mjszud said:
First off, I do agree w/ all this, but have to ask..is it possible that were so unsatisfied w/ Miami because we come here & read into spoilers & interviews, ect.?
I do it because I'm still hanging on to the tiny glimpse of hope that perhaps things will change, that perhaps the horrid storytelling coupled with the god-awful split screens (and Super H, to boot) shall magically vanish. If it were to continue with the story it had in the first three seasons, 'Miami' could have become a gem in the modern prime time lineup: it could have been something to keep people talking at the watercooler. I fear for its survival for its lack of substance and its cheesy production qualities (not to mention the free-showing skin). I fear that the path the writers are taking with Horatio's development shall ultimately lead to his destruction. Lofty fears or not, I think that due to what I've seen from these past two seasons, they could easily become a reality.

I agree to some extent with the spoiler theory. I was very heavily into CSI files during season 4 and pre-read all the spoilers going into the season with a preformed opinion of it, as a result I was harder on it. Due to a change in work I do not visit this site very much anymore and I haven't spoiled season 5 as a result I have quite enjoyed the first episodes of season 5.

I have altered my viewing though to take Miami as a good escaspist bit of TV, cause it has changed...I will always reach for my season 1 and 2 DVD's cause that was a good show back then, I still enjoy catching new episodes but I am sad at the turn of events...however having decided not to take Miami too seriously anymore, I enjoy it much better these days.

From a personal perspective, spoilers do not influence my enjoyment of the show at all. I have always read spoilers, partly because living in the UK, we are so far behind, and I like to keep up to date with what is happening on the show.

For me, the gulf in the quality of writing between Seasons 1-3 and Seasons 4 & 5 is huge, though Season 5 did show slight signs of improvement. I used to take the show more seriously because it was a well written, well executed Primetime drama, even if it was always rather over-the-top. Nowadays, it is almost impossible for me to take any aspect of the show seriously at all, so the only thing to do is sit back and let it all wash over me like a stylish commercial with zero substance!

Back