Peyton vs. Lindsay -- Who Do You Like More?

These two women were added after the show was created, both are 'easily shipped' among the CSI: NY fandom, and are easily disliked among the fandom. But why?

So I thought I'd make this poll. Who do you like more. Why? Let's have a discussion and try not to bash the characters.

Well, I haven't voted in the poll. I'm not sure I'm going to, to be completely honest.

I don't think the characters are comparable. Peyton was introduced with the sole purpose of being Mac's love interest. Lindsay was introduced to be a main cast member who ended up, in my opinion at least, being limited by the writers' near-immediate desire to push a romantic relationship with Danny.

I don't think either character needs to leave, but Lindsay especially needs some real, personal, individual development to make her character a valuable addition to the show. I'm not sure that Peyton will ever be given the chance for that, considering her reason for being there in the first place, but Lindsay, and the fans of the show, deserve for her to be developed. :)

I didn't hit the poll, but I'll weigh in with a response, since it's a thought-provoking topic. As Faylinn said, it's difficult to compare the two characters, since they fulfill vastly different purposes: one as a (possibly temporary) recurring character who is mainly a love interest, and the other as a permanent member of the CSI team.

That said, there is one rather glaring similarity between the two, and that's the fact that both seem to be lightening rods of sorts, and attract high emotions at both ends of the spectrum of like vs. dislike. They certainly both have their share of fans vs. detractors, there doesn't seem to be much fanship middle ground where these two characters are concerned.

I'll agree with Faylinn again, I think Lindsay's character begs further development, especially since she is here to stay, unless Anna suddenly decides that full time motherhood suits her more than acting. I think part of the problem is that the writers immediately seemed so concerned with thrusting her into a romance because they simply couldn't resist the hackneyed old nugget of "Country Girl vs. City Boy". (Yeah, like we haven't seen that one, before). That, and they were also determined to immediately establish some deep, dark hidden background/secret for her. Myself, I think they didn't need either of those things to make the character more alluring, if they had simply decided exactly who/what/how she was going to be, and concentrated on developing her within the realm of the lab and her teammates and her job. Instead, they almost gave the poor girl a split personality, they simply couldn't seem to decide what road they wanted to take her character down. Is she a sweet natured, trusting country girl, or is she cold, cynical and uncaring, unless it suits her to be otherwise? Is she niave and innocent, or is her life a series of dark secrets? Is she a kick-ass gung ho CSI who loves to get down and dirty and tackle a suspect in the street, or is she a wimp who refuses to deal with a victim or family because it makes her uncomfortable? I understand if they want to make the character conflicted, but honestly, I think they carried it too far. Pick a personality and stick with it, please, writers! :(

Re: Peyton, I honestly don't see them developing her character much further than they have. They've settled on her being highly intelligent, straightforward, loving and emotional, and despite her romantic dalliance with Mac, also highly independent. Funny, in some ways, the writers have actually developed Peyton better than they have Lindsay. And that's not fair to Anna Belknap, the character of Lindsay, or the fans.

Intriguing topic, Shane! :)

I find it odd that so many people have voted and the only people who have left posts never even voted. I'd like to hear why people voted the way they did.

As for me, I'm not quite sure what Lindsay has to do with Peyton. I'm not sure if I'll vote or not but I'm sure everybody can guess my answers.

I want to vote but seems my preferred options are not available.

Who do you like more? BOTH.

Who would you like to see leave first? NEITHER.

That will be my answer.

Also I agreed with previous posts, I don't think the two charracters are comparable.

I voted that I liked Lindsay more and that I wanted Peyton to leave...even though, I agree with the previous statements... Are we supposed to be comparing the two? They are completely seperate characters and both add something unique to the show... It's just a random question, if ya ask me...
I just simply like Lindsay more... I'm not too fond of Peyton's accent, as it drives me bloody nuts and is extremely annoying. Claire Forlani is very beautiful and is a wonderful actress, but I dont know...the character hasnt grown on me... BUT! I like that she is someone for Mac. He needs someone. Yet, I want her to leave... Hmmm...
Lindsay, well, I have nothing against her... :)

They are both lightning rod characters, so I see the connection. And hell yes I voted. :devil:

I think Peyton has opened Mac up emotionally, and that's been a refreshing change. I like her, too--she's got a warmth and energy to her that transfers to Mac when he's around her, but is also apparent when he's not (like when she wins the coin toss to autopsy the mummy in Not What It Looks Like). I'm glad she's sticking around.

Lindsay couldn't be shipped out of New York fast enough for me. :lol: She's poorly written and poorly acted, and she's a real detriment to the show, given that the rest of the cast is excellent, and the other characters are quite well (and consistently!) written.

I don't see why this has to be an 'either/or' proposition. I don't get that :confused:

Still, my thoughts ... love Peyton, can't stand Lindsay. Short and sweet.

Lindsay pulls you out of being immersed in the show, if you know what I mean. You get so involved in the show, and then she's on screen, and it's like a dissonant chord. You're brought right out of it.

I think it's interesting that the poll suggests that Lindsay is the more popular character. I now wish I would have used the poll. :) I think it will be a stalemate, no matter what the result. Even though I didn't use the poll, silly me, I still want to record what would have been my result. PEYTON STAYS!!! She makes Mac happy, and Mac needs to be happy, seriously. Major vote, for Peyton.

To be honest I like Lindsey more than Peyton. Lindsey has more grit to her character. Not that I don't like Peyton but I wouldn't be upset if her character vanished.

But that's just me.

I know I've said that I'd rather not have Peyton in every episode but I actually like her personality more than Lindsey's.

That being said, I would rather have Peyton leave than Lindsay though, hahaha.

Color me conflicted :lol:

Interesting how people are saying Lindsay is the more popular character, however everyone says she whines, complains and has all this drama!with the characters. Intriguing? Yes.

But I have to agree with Rhonda aka 1CSIMFan, lots of people are voting, but no one hardly replying.

A main character is pretty much always going to beat out a guest star, and yes, a lot of people are voting but not posting, so we're missing a lot of reasons here. It makes more sense that Lindsay has more fans though--she's been around longer and is a regular on the show, whereas at this point, Peyton is just a recurring guest star.

I voted Peyton stays, Lindsay goes. The two are entirely unrelated, but I do like Peyton and I really dislike Lindsay. Peyton is well acted and suprisingly well-developed. Lindsay is grating, undeveloped, and I wouldn't miss her if she left.

Simple as that.

I vote for Lindsay that I like her more, and if either to leave, it would be Peyton. I like Lindsay's character, where I find Peyton one that was shoehorned in. Yes, she may make Mac happy, but her presence onscreen is like nails on a chalkboard. Very irritating. I would not be sad to see her go, where I am going to be disappointed that Lindsay won't be in a few episodes coming up soon.

Back