Patricia Cornwell

needmorecsi , I apologize for inferring that you have had bad sex, that was not my intent for the post.

and, I won't bypass the rest of the books just to read that one!

Good decision about reading them in order.

I've never even had sex, I'm jst going by what I've heard about it. :)

Am I right with what I've heard?

Ahem, this is a PG13 board. Please keep it that way and refrain from talking about sex in such a manner.

Come on Cat, I'd call that PG-13 acceptible. Then again I'm a teenage male so I may be a wee bit biased.

Love your avatar, sadly I never really noticed it until now.

Well, i wouldn't call it PG-13 acceptable. Anyways, doesn't have anything directly linked to whether or not you liked the novel. If it's a justified conversation about sex in relation to the novel, than explain to it to me. Otherwise, please get back to the correct topic.

Thankyou.

I am really starting to LOVE these books and I am still only on the first one, Postmortem. They have some pretty funny quotes in them! Detective Marino seems like my best friend in a really strange way.....

cat, sorry for the earlier reply. Had I been thinking, I would not have replied to the post in such a manner- at all.

Now back on topic, I am just getting finished with Cruel and Unusual and the foreshadowing for the next book is really great. I have already read The Body Farm (accidentally read it first) so the foreshadowing in Cruel and Unusual makes sense to me.
and I really don't like Lucy in this book, I can't put my finger on it, but she is acting like a brat. Not that I can blame her, per se, with her life in Miami, but she is just really irritating me in this one!

Gotta love Marino's quotes. The other thing I love in her books in the unintentional comedy, I'm not sure if it's unintentional or not. If you're wondering what I mean by unintentional comedy here's a couple things I read and was rolling with laughter. In Body of Evidence (no spoilers) Kay and Marino are talking to a therapist about homosexuality and causes. One of the major theories is haveing a father who is overbaring and a sterotypical redneck. Owns trucks with many gun racks and confederate flags etc. It's only funny given what we know now about homosexuality and I asked somebody and even in the early 90s they said that theory was discreated and not accepted.

I have a huge crush on Lucy - I can't help it, there's something so enigmatic and alluring about her (plus she reminds me a little bit of one of my ex-girlfriends, only without the pilot's licence :lol: )

I also have a ridiculous crush on Benton - does anyone else share this?

Did anyone else cry when they read Point of Origin? I wept like a baby the first time I read it and was miserable for the rest of the day afterwards - I've read it several times since, and it gets me every single time - especially the line when Kay notices the sooty grey hair and the bretling watch in the rubble of the fire :(

Wnat's everyone's favorite book of the series? I'm torn between a lot of the books, but I think "The Body Farm" is pretty much top of the heap for me.

forensicsgirl said:
I have a huge crush on Lucy - I can't help it, there's something so enigmatic and alluring about her (plus she reminds me a little bit of one of my ex-girlfriends, only without the pilot's licence :lol: )

To answer your spoiler question, I didn't actually cry when I was reading it but I almost nevery cry about books,movies,tv shows,etc. But yeah I was very upset/sad/depressed/whatever me I read and re-read the line
Benton was Dead
Gotta love the spoiler code.

I also have a MAJOR crush on Lucy. I don't know why, I first noticed it in the motel scene at the begining of Point of Origin.
I think Lucy is my type of woman, tough, smart, thrill loving.

forensicsgirl , I also have a slight crush on Benton. He is an FBI agent for crying out loud!

One thing that I will say about Lucy is even though she is being a brat (IMO) in Cruel and Unusual, she does have incredible insight into situations and Kay's life!

For the one's that I have read, I really enjoyed Body of Evidence and The Body Farm.

ThumpyG said:

One thing that I will say about Lucy is even though she is being a brat (IMO) in Cruel and Unusual, she does have incredible insight into situations and Kay's life.

How/when in Cruel and Unusual was Lucy being a brat?

When Lucy arrived in Virginia I didn't initially care for her attitude with Kay and Marino (his wasn't peachy either). I guess that is where her insight comes into play here, in Kay's life. Her telling Kay how to arrange her study (and actually doing it, without speaking to her first) her telling Kay how to live her life, etc. As her niece, she was out of line.

I put his under a spoiler so it isn't spoiled for those that haven't read the book.

Was Cruel and Unusual the one where Lucy was asking Pete for shooting lessons, as a Christmas gift.

What novel by her had Kay and Pete investigating the death of a woman who was found in her car, but the crime scene had been staged?

Sorry that's all I remember about that novel.

What novel by her had Kay and Pete investigating the death of a woman who was found in her car, but the crime scene had been staged?

That was also Cruel & Unusual - it was made to look like suicide, but the woman (the phone psychic) had been murdered and placed in the car after the fact.

Regarding Lucy "acting like a brat" in C&U, she does to an extent, but it can be easily understood after all she's gone through - her mother is horrid, ignores her, goes through a long line of boyfriends/husbands and makes Lucy feel like she isn't important.

Then, after Mark dies, Kay barely contacts Lucy, making Lucy feel even more unloved/unwanted. The following is a really good explaination of Lucy's behavior.

Obviously, if you haven't read "Cruel & Unusual", don't read this:

"You don't call me anymore. You haven't come to see me once since he got killed." The hurt in her voice had been saved for a long time. "I wrote you and you didn't write back. Then you called me yesterday and asked me to come visit because you needed something." "I didn't mean it like that." "It's the same thing Mom does."... "Aunt Kay?" I turned to her and never had I seen her eyes look so dejected. "Why are men always more important than me?"

Back