Once Upon A Time

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by jafox, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This show doesn't premiere till tomorrow (Sunday) night, but the pilot was offered online and I watched it last night.
    I thought the pilot was awesome and I'm really looking forward to more. It seems like kind of a fairy tale version of LOST.
    The premise is that characters from various fairy tales are banished to another time (our present day) by an evil queen's curse, vowing there will be no happy endings. We get to see their present day character with flash backs to their fairy tale character. Sounds weird, I know, but it's fun and the acting is first rate, especially from the three leading ladies: Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, and Lana Parrilla.

A little more insight on some of the characters:
    http://www.tvline.com/2011/10/once-upon-a-time-season-1-gallery/#261729-0-OUAT_514

I hope others here will give it a try. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Its funny that Jennifer and Ginnifer are both in it because I've gotten them mixed up before. I spent part of "He's Just Not That Into You" trying to figure out which one of them it was in it LOL. I wonder if they are playing sisters or something. It looks like Jennifer has blonde hair in this show and Ginnifer is still a brunette, so hopefully I'll be able to keep them straight... but they do look like they could be sisters lol.

I'm looking forward to this show. I'm so glad its on at 7pm and not 9pm so its not on the same time as Miami lol.

I hope its not too much like Lost though because I lost interested in LOST early into season 2. :lol:

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Just checked out the first 9 minute peek,looks interesting.
    I'll check it out.I like the time slot too.

4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

LOL. I never thought about Jennifer and Ginnifer looking alike (their names are confusing enough to write!), but they do play mother and daughter here. :) Jennifer's character is Snow White's (Ginnifer's character) daughter who was saved from the curse in order to return and save the fairy tale characters, or something like that. :lol:

I doubt it will become as convoluted or intense as LOST was. With the earlier hour it seems to be geared more towards family entertainment. I think it will be fun having these present day characters show up and try to figure out what fairy tale character they are/were.

5. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I liked the premiere ep. It could have been cheesey fairytale style, but they managed to make it interesting. The whole premise is pretty cool too. Also, I'm psyched to see Josh Dallas- he was phenomenal as the bomb squad guy last year on CSI! :)

6. GregNickRyanFan

Who Is the guy that was with the modern day Evil Queen? Cause I thought that guy looked familiar lol. Anyone know who he is?

I thought the show was decent. That short short hair does not suit Ginnifer Goodwin though.

I'm assuming that Prince Charming is not in the real world since he was killed just before the curse set it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I knew I'd seen him somewhere before! Not a bad gig to come back to life as Prince Charming. :lol:

I loved the goth Little Red Riding Hood. :lol: Can't wait to see where that goes.

I thought it was very creative. Subtle references here and there to the fairy tales is intriguing. In that regard it reminds me a little of LOST; I will have to read reviews afterward in case I missed some of these allusions.
    Some of the critics panned it, but 90% of the people posting on entertainment websites seemed to have loved it. Supposedly, the episodes get better and better; I've read that the 3rd one is awesome. They will be getting into some back story of more of the fairytale characters as they go, and introducing more of them. The dwarfs could take up a few episodes by themselves. LOL

Definitely one of my favorite new shows this season; along with my other guilty pleasure, Revenge.

8. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I loved the pilot. I thought it was interesting and different. I will definitely keep watching :). The kid is great, the evil witch is great, and so is Jennifer Morrison.

I agree.

9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Coincidentally, the short hair makes her like like an elf, with those ears! :lol: Strangely fitting for a fairytale show, no? :p

10. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Haven't seen it yet; it's On Demand, so I'll get to it eventually.

11. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I actually like this show, it's kind of a guilty pleasure. It's not that good, some parts are really cheesy, but I think with every episode it's gotten a little better. It keeps you interested at least because (I at least) always want to know how these connections are going to work out, and there's always new ones every episode. (The mayor's son is named Henry, the same as the queen's father, wtf?!) I have to keep watching because I want to know what happens with everyone. Plus it's a lot different than most of the shows I watch so it's refreshing.

12. GregNickRyanFan

I didn't watch the third ep because I wasn't feeling well. I've got it on tape though. But good catch luf. I didn't realize that Henry was named after the Queen/Mayor's father. Of course in the "fairytale" world, she killed her father. But I think in the "real" world, she too doesn't remember her fairytale life, so she may not remember that she killed her father.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

You think so? I've been wondering about that, but after this last episode I've been leaning towards thinking she does know what's going on.

I like the show, it's different from all the procedurals we have at every hour of the night. I think this last episode has been the strongest. The second one was kind of weak. I liked how we learned about Snow White and Prince Charming's first meeting.

14. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I'm pretty sure in the last episode they said at some point that "only one person knows" about what's happening so I think she does know. It wasn't completely clear though. But seeing all the trouble she went through to find the guy's wife in the real world in order to keep away Mary/Snow White, I think she does.

I really liked Snow White's and Prince Charming's first meeting too. Nice to know Snow White can handle herself haha. I definitely want to see more of that, which we probably will as the season goes on.

OH and does anyone have any idea what the sheriff guy would be in the fairy tale world? In the last episode he said he was good at tracking people, and he has to be someone if he's from Storybrook, right? Plus I think he's going to become Emma's love interest, so who could he be...

15. GregNickRyanFan

See, I was thinking that Rumpelstiltskin (whatever his real world name is) was the one that knew. In the one ep he asked her which plan she was talking about or something like he was expecting her to say something besides what she said. They said in the beginning once he knows your name, he can control your life or something. If he knows her real name, then he may know about the curse. But, like I said, I didn't watch the third episode yet, so I can't say for sure. But I got the impression from the other episodes that he knows about the curse. So if she knows too, then two people know. If you consider him a person because he was kind of something else in the fairytale world LOL. Or at least he didn't look human.

I think the sheriff might be the hunter from the Red Riding Hood story. If he's "good at tracking", it would make sense. The only other thing would be the wolf, and I doubt he'd be a love interest for Snow White's child if he was the wolf.