Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #9- "All We Are"- Now Up!

Hey guys..I just wanted to say a few words and I'll review either Monday or Tuesday. These are awesome stories. I've gone over a few and wow..and not just because of Mandy/Nick but they're just sooo good!

2. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Deflected - So not fair not telling us if Nick survived. The way you captured Nick and Sara's brother/sister type banter was spot on.

Start of Something Beautiful - Clearly someone doesn't approve of April as Nick's girlfriend.....for a second I thought Nick was going to find April dead. I liked the twist that Mandy's ex was April's ex now current boyfriend. I wonder what Nick will do with those earrings now? Maybe give them to Mandy?

Valentine's Day - Interesting way of interpreting the lyrics.....so theoretically Nick could have written those words for.....me? Just kidding. And I don't think Nick sounded like a sap at all.

Sabotage - The use of a non-canon character is a refreshing choice however I felt the story ended rather abruptly. I would have liked to have had more between Nick and Quinn.

The Start of Something Beautiful - Nick and Mandy watching Mythbusters......so cute. Really enjoyed the story.

He's Just That Into You - I can just picture family and friends giving Nick the third degree about his love life. I'm sure that would have to become really annoying about the millionth time. So cute that Wendy and Greg played matchmaker. And I definitely think Nick (or to be specific George) should sing more often.

Leaving Words - Ouch, a Dear John letter. That's never a good thing. She took the sheets? That's cold....at least leave Nick something to sleep on instead of a bare mattress.

Something Beautiful - Nick with kids is always a good thing to read. I'm a little confused about something though....Libby ended up living with Nick at some point? I'll have to read it again tomorrow. Really good job though.

3. KFK

KFK Witness

Deflected - Very good story. I liked the interaction between Sara and Nick. The story was definitely angst filled, and left us hanging. I hope maybe you’ll write more and post it elsewhere? (Hint…hint.) :)

Start of Something Beautiful – Poor Nick so unlucky in matters of the heart. :( I like how you got Nick and Mandy together; they do make a cute couple. I was glad to see Nick and Mandy got the last laugh at their exes. :) Nice story.

Valentines Day – Interesting interpretation, though I’m not sure I could see Nick writing poetry, he doesn’t strike me as the type. Nonetheless, interesting poem.

Sabotage – Nice story. :) The interaction between Nick and Sara in the beginning of the story was sweet. I liked Nick and Quinn together, and hope you write more about their relationship. It seems like they have a fire to their relationship.

The Start of Something Beautiful - Another Nick and Mandy story what a treat. Loved the clueless comment, so true. Sweet story, very enjoyable. :)

He’s Just That Into You –. Poor Nick with his family tormenting him. I was glad he dumped his date and rode to Mandy’s rescue. Greg and Wendy playing matchmaker too cute. Nice story. :)

Leaving Words – Wow…coldhearted woman, not only does she take the couch and the sheets off the bed, but worse she takes the tv (no Animal Planet for Nick.) Poor Nicky I felt so bad for him. :( Good story. :)

Something Beautiful – A sweet story about the love between an Uncle and Niece. :) I like that he watched over her throughout the years. The story is a nice look at Nick’s life outside the Crime lab.

All the stories were great, thanks for writing them. :thumbsup: Thanks also to Smokey for organizing this madness we love. ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Sorry, I haven't been joining lately. :( My mind is just not creative, though it is for other stories.) :wtf: I had an idea for this one, just couldn't get to it.

In any case, with all the essays and research paper for school, that's just a lot of writing.

I'll be joining in again soon and will review these stories and the Xmas ones too. Which I still have to. :shifty:

I'm sure the stories will be great.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Deflected:

Very intense story with a cliffhanger. Well written, well thought out. This was written by someone who has ate, breathed and slept CSI with all the lingo added in. Great job!

Start of Something Beautiful:

Glee! My kingdom for a Nick/Mandy fic. I liked the twists and the part about the Sous chef. I liked how April turned out to be a cheater and the one she cheats with is Mandy's boyfriend. The dancing scene was fun to read. There was a typo, but no matter.

Valentine's Day:

A poem. I liked it. It was quite angsty. Nice comment about the bloke. I never thought of Nick describing himself in an English term. Great job!

Sabotage:

Aww Valentine's Day is upon us judging by all these stories of love and relationships. A nice canon character given she is a female version of Grissom. Sounds like someone Nick would choose to date. Hee. I liked it.

The Start of Something Beautiful:

Can I just say this:drool::drool::drool::drool:. I loved it. No other words needed. My bias is showing. I know. Sorry. But I loved this story.:thumbsup:

He's Just That Into You:

You guys are killing me with these wonderful Nick and Mandy fics again you get a :drool::drool::drool::drool: from me! It was so cute. One or two redundant words, but no matter. It didn't take away from the wonderful essence of this story. Great job!:thumbsup:

Leaving Words:

Wow! She took everything but the kitchen sink. Poor Nick. A very touching story and a very sad one as well. The end left me confused with the "He" instead of "She" but I got it. I've done that as well with a few stories such as where I wrote Ecklie when I meant McKeen.:rolleyes: Duh! So no big deal.

Something Beautiful:

Awww..Uncle Nicky..he'd make a great uncle that's for sure and a positive influence on any kid's life. This was an awesome story. My only confusion (and it's probably me) is the age of Libby when she becomes a mom. She's seventeen I take it? I just wonder how it is she became a mom so young? Loved it. Wonderful!

6. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

1. Deflected - First off, great title for the story :) I really liked the moments between Catherine and Ray and how they kind of sandwiched the Nick and Sara part. I really wish I knew if Nick was going to be okay.

2. Start Of Something Beautiful - Very cute story. Very coupley (if that's a word :lol:). Anyway, I liked the coincidence that both their exes got together. I also really liked the bit about Animal Planet. It fit very well.

3. Valentine's Day - Wow, that was a really beautiful poem. I really liked the first verse.

4. Sabatoge - That was really cute. I love the line about how Nick's bad luck must come from the office :) And the end was great.

5. The Start Of Something Beautiful - I could so see Nick and Mandy watching Mythbusters :lol: Really cute story. Love their admissions :D

6. He's Just That Into You - Great story. Karaoke is so fun. I loved how Wendy and Greg played matchmaker.

7. Leaving Words - Aww poor Nicky. I can't believe that someone who seemed so loving in the flashbacks could be so cold as to take the sheets from the bed.

8. Something Beautiful - I really liked this story. I really think that Nick would make a great uncle. I really liked the closeness between Libby and Nick and how, as Libby said, the story came full circle.

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Finally! A little time to read and review. :)

Remember, we'll reveal the authors tomorrow and then everyone can post a little background about how they came up with their story.

Deflected - Could this be the beginning of something? :D It definitely makes me want to keep reading and find out what's going to happen! You write the characters very well and your writing flows very well...very naturally and very realistic.

Start of Something Beautiful - I like your descriptive style. And the picture of Nick shopping for jewelry is sweet. :) I can see him doing this the way you describe it. But then...poor Nick. :( And the two ex's show up together! :lol: The way Nick and Mandy come together...it seems very realistic and natural, not forced. I like. :)

Valentine's Day - I admire anyone who can write poetry...especially good poetry! And it fits well with the song lyrics too. And yes, I would like to be the recipient. :D

Sabatoge - I like this little glimpse into a "bump" in Nick's relationship. His talk with Sara seemed natural and seemed to help, and I'm glad Nick realized that he was a "moron" and that they are going to move forward. :)

The Start of Something Beautiful - Awww....sweet! :) "He feared his love would not be returned." Nice line! And Mandy is right...what woman wouldn't fall in love with him?!

He's Just That Into You
    - I like Wendy and Greg playing matchmakers. Mandy's line about Greg paying off the host was funny. :lol: I wondered at the beginning tho why Nick wasn't more concerned that his friend was hurt, but it turned out well. :)

Leaving Words - I really like the way you alternated the words of the letter with the events that Nick was remembering. It provided a nice, balanced way of seeing their relationship from beginning to end. In just a few sequences, you got the whole relationship pinned down for us. Very nicely structured!

Something Beautiful
    - This was really clever. :) I like how everything Nick is going through is seen through the little girl's eyes and how it's mainly those two characters. They have a really good rapport. :) A very sweet fic!

8. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

My gosh, what a week! I promise to read and review today, after church sometime. I have read a few and wow, they were really great. I'll be back to review afternoon sometime. Thanks for all the great stories!:)

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Here are the authors of those great fics! Feel free now to post a little something about how you came up with your story if you would like. :)

Deflected - Nicksfriend
    Start of Something Beautiful - MyFutureCSI
    Valentine's Day - KFK
    Sabotage - Princess
    The Start of Something Beautiful - Americanstalker
    He's Just That Into You - GregNickRyanFan
    Leaving Words - Axelsonfire
    Something Beautiful - Athersgeo

Remember, you still have time to review if you haven't. We encourage input from all of the authors especially, but everyone is free to leave one. :)

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Okay, so some about how I got my idea... well, the intial idea of Nick cancelling his first date (in years) to help a friend in need (and I always knew that friend would be Mandy) came to me just out of the blue. Then the conversation between Mandy and Wendy where Wendy says "he's just that into you" came into my head and thus the title of the fic was decided. :lol:

Originally I was going to have Nick saying "honey" to his "friend" on the phone, but then I decided I'd leave the friend a mystery for a bit. :lol: The part about Nick's family tsking at him because he's unmarried came from my own frustrations about certain people in my family who do that to me.

As for the Karaoke part, well... I was watching "The Singing Bee" while I was writing the fic. :lol: So, it just sort of snuck its way into the story. :lol:

I tried to get all the redundant words out of the story (there were a lot more originally because it was kind of late when I was writing it lol). I guess I missed a couple. :lol: Sorry about that.

Anyway, I wasn't crazy about the way my fic turned out and I almost didn't submit it. I'm my own worst critic I guess. :lol:

11. americanstalker

americanstalker Witness

While I was listening to the song, I came up with the idea that it should be about a relationship Nick has. It took several different directions, and finally I decided to write on having to do with Mandy. It all went from there.

12. KFK

KFK Witness

Hi All,

Thank you for the nice reviews, it means so much. ;)

My story/poem came about because I just finished the Quantico story, and I was still in a Nick/Jenn frame of mind...add Valentine's Day coming up...and you get a love poem.

As I said in the review of my story, I'm not sure I could see Nick writing something like this, but maybe I'm wrong. My hubby is a tough guy, but he surprises me from time to time...who knows? :lol:

I enjoyed all the stories, they were great, you all amaze me. I look forward to the next challenge. :thumbsup:

Thank you Smokey, you're a gem.;)

Take Care All,

Kelli

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  13. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Yay - I can now comment without feeling like a complete plank for reviewing my own story so as to not give it away... *grin*

Deflected - I really like this and I definitely want to find out what happens next - there is a next, right? ;)
    Start of Something Beautiful - This was a very nice story and it did come together very naturally. :)
    Valentine's Day - My poetry skills are absolutely nil (I have academic assessment marks that prove that point!) so my hat's off to you for not just writing a poem but writing a good one and I actually can see Nick writing something like that for his girl. Very sweet :)
    Sabotage - Love the last scene of this and I really like Quinn. This is another one I'd love to see more of.
    The Start of Something Beautiful - As other folks have already said, this one is very sweet and cute
    He's Just That Into You - I can definitely see Greg and Wendy playing matchmaker and I can definitely see Nick dropping everything to help a friend in need. Nice story :)
    Leaving Words - This one was clever; I like the juxtaposition of the letter with the memories. I do wonder when this is in relation to Nick's move to Las Vegas and how much of a tipping point it was...

And that just leaves me...which...wasn't so much thinking out of the box as thinking out of the entire continent! Just to clear up the two areas of confusion (for which: sorry!), yes Libby is only 17 at the end of the story and yes she does end up living with Nick. (The two points are somewhat related *grin*)

Everything I write TENDS to be connected - either it sparks off a new story or it sparks off a sequel or prequel. In the case of 'Something Beautiful' it came from a conversation written between Nick and Catherine. The original idea was just going to be the two scenes (first and last) but then it just took on a life of its own (to the point where there's two entire scenes had to land on the cutting room floor to even get close to the word count!) as I thought it would be fun to explore how the relationship would change as they both got older.

I also want to say a HUGE BIG HUGE thank you to Smokey for (a) Putting up with a newbie asking very silly questions, (b) the help and beta'ing and extinguishing of at least they very worst excesses of British English and (c) running this event :) Thank you also to everyone who commented :)

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well..whoever wrote I disliked April ws dead on LOL! And it's because I really like Nick and Mandy together. So I decided to get rid of April and then the story was born..

15. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

To be honest I have no idea where my story came from. I just started writing and came up with Nick and Quinn.