Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #11- "How You Like Me Now"

I'm not getting anything either. I think my Supernatural muse got jealous and abducted my Nick muse and locked him up somewhere. :lol:

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

No need to apologize! :) It's never the song...it's just plain writer's block for some people, I think.

3. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Hey Kelli... you really don't have to apologize...

If we would have been more creative we would have gotten something out of it... and well sometimes it's not even that... in some cases real life is the problem :(

In my case it is like that... I have an idea but absolutly not the time to write it :( School is a b**** the past weeks and my final exams are coming up as well... and so free time is limited :(

It really isn't the song, so don't feel bad! :)

Can't wait all the stories and I apologize for not coming up with anything again :(

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

School is a *itch..right now so I will have to get to this story later..sorry =(

5. Smokey

Nick Fic Song Challenge
    Round 11
    [​IMG]

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting round 11 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge! Thanks to everyone who participated! :)

Here are a few guidelines for reading and reviewing:

1. Remember, for now the stories are anonymous. Please do not reveal which story you wrote. We will unveil the authors next Sunday, April 25.

2. Story authors/participants - Please leave feedback for each story. That's why we're doing this...so we can learn from each other and improve as we go along. And because this is anonymous for now, please remember to leave some feedback for your own story too. :)

3. Lurkers - You are most welcome to read and review the stories too! We just ask that you follow and respect the guidelines here as well. The exception is that you may leave reviews for as few or as many stories as you like. (Authors - Please do not take offense if a lurker reviews only one or two stories or does not review yours.)

4. Please make your feedback as positive and constructive as possible. Constructive means that it's meant to be helpful and it's said in a nice way. There will be zero tolerance for meanness here from anyone.

5. Please try to make your feedback a little more than just "Good job" or "Nice story". We all look forward to hearing some thoughtful input on our work. :) And for now let's focus on the content of the story more so than the format, grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. For some people this is their first fic and/or English may not be their first language, and those are all things that a good beta could fix if this weren't a challenge. :)

6. Feedback should be posted here in this thread and can be done all in one post or in several posts.

7. Remember, we aren't voting for favorites on this or anything. We're just reading, reviewing, and enjoying! :)

8. Attention readers! Feedback posts will probably contain spoilers. If you do not want to be spoiled, do not read the feedback until after you read the stories.

And now, what you've all been waiting for...round 10 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge! Click on the "How You Like Me Now" link on the left to read the stories.
    [​IMG]

Note: If you see an error in your story or any problems on the page, please PM Smokey ASAP.

6. KFK

KFK Witness

I enjoyed the stories, wish I could have been imaginative. Yes once again, I apologize for the song choice.:( In my defense, when I heard the song months ago, it wasn't part of a television advertisement. I promise my next song choice will be better. :)

Reunion” I enjoyed this story, and though I know Nick and Mandy aren't canon characters, I still think they're fun together. :) I'd like to read what Mandy said to Nick's old “revamped' girlfriend. That dialog would be priceless, as I'm sure Miss Mandy wouldn't hold back (can anyone say riot act?) :cool: I enjoyed your story, and I would really enjoy a longer version. Great job with a difficult song.:)

How You Like Me Now” I love a good Nick angst story. The first few paragraphs had me guessing where the story was going, but then BOOM!:eek: Of course, then you had to leave me wondering what happened next, good angst work there. :) In the scene at Nick's apartment I'd like to read more detail about Crane's demise, more angst and more detail of after the incident, but understand word count comes into play. I enjoyed your story, well done. :)

Divorce and the Hangover” In the beginning I liked the interaction between Catherine and Nick, I love those two working together. :) I liked how Catherine and Nick were looking out for Ray, it seems like they're trying to work on building a team after everything that happened. :) As with the other two stories, I'd like to read more...more detail...more depth. Descriptions of the photos and video on Nick's phone would be fun to see. :guffaw:

I don't know how others will feel, but I'd like to see extended versions of all three stories. I know it was difficult writing a story for this song, and thank you. Keep writing and good luck on the next challenge. May the muse be with you. :thumbsup:

Take Care All,

Kelli

7. Smokey

Quiet in here! [​IMG]

I really appreciate everyone who was able to write something this round! I don't think it was the song, it was just real life or writer's block. :)

Reunion - I think the idea of Nick at his high school reunion is interesting. So many things could be done with it, and the appearance of an old flame is a good one! :) I like the way both Nick and Mandy dealt with it.

How Do You Like Me Now
    - I also think the word limit worked against you here. Great subject! Please add some more details and length to it and publish it! I know it will be great! :)

Divorce and the Hangover - Very detailed and good interaction and dialogue between the characters. It's very believable that they might do something like this off the clock. I love how you've made them a "family" here. :)

8. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Reunion - The Warrick mention was a nice touch. The story felt a little choppy to me so expanding on the story later on could help that.

How Do You Like Me Now
    - Oh Nigel Crane....so creepy. I was a little confused by Greg having a gun because if I recall Greg chooses not to carry a gun....or I could have read wrong.....if so my bad. Overall, nicely done.

Divorce and the Hangover - Boys' night out.....at least they didn't end up with a baby they had no idea where it came from....or run into Mike Tyson. I really enjoy the fun stories everybody comes up with. Loved the Nick in boxers scene....do we know if Nick is in fact a boxers guy? (Or for that matter is George?) Anyway, really fun story. Good job.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Hey everyone:

I'll review more closely tommorow night. At quick glance, however, these stories are great! You all did a wonderful job!

10. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Here are my reviews...

Reunion - That was the kind of story I thought would be written for this challenge but I couldn't work with the story idea and the result is I couldn't write anything... but you did! :) And you did it very well. I like the idea of Nick meeting his 'old love'. She must have really hurt him back then...

It's cool how you had Mandy deal with her :lol: I would like to know what she said to her exactly ;)

Good job :thumbsup:

How Do You Like Me Now
    - You have a talent for finding story ideas... and well normally you write more chapter stories, and good ones at that ;) The word limit worked against you here though... because your idea was bigger than the word count... you really should do more with it and publish it then... I know you used to write great more chapter Nick fics... I wish you would still do :(

Divorce and the Hangover - I love the details here... a very well thought through story. Normally stories with too much dialogue make you forget about the environment but you found a good compromise... you used dialogue but you also wrote very descriptive. The team as a family is a nice twist, I really enjoyed that :thumbsup:

But you know what??? I know you're not that happy with your story and that you can do better... and well I think so too... I like this one, sure, it's very funny but I know what you're capable of and so I can say you can do better :)

Great job, you all :bolian:

11. Smokey

Author reveal time! :)

If you want to post your story on another site now, you can, and if you'd like to post something here about your story and how you came to write it, please do! :)

Reunion - PrincessJ88
    How Do You Like Me Now? - Nicksfriend
    Divorce and the Hangover - KFK

Thanks again you guys for coming up with stories! :) I'm sorry I didn't get one done, but my commitment is to do one for the next round...no matter what! :lol:

12. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

So, about my story....there was something about this song that just screamed high school reunion.

As far as pairing Nick with Mandy.....I just didn't feel like creating some new random girl for Nick. I don't ship anybody on the show but I can understand why people ship Nick/Mandy.

13. Smokey

Let's see if anyone is around and up for a new challenge! :D Next person to post after me, pick a number between 1 and 9!

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

By the way, I do plan to read the fics from the last round. I just didn't get a chance to since I was leaving to go out of town and all. :lol: But I will eventually get around to reading them. :)

15. Smokey

Thank you, GNRFan! :)

It's time for Round 12 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge!

Remember, everyone reading the thread is welcome to submit a story! :)

And now the guidelines...PLEASE read them all carefully! If you have any questions, let me know here or via PM/email. Thanks! :)

1. Word limit on the fic is 2,500. Please remember to give the fic a title and a short summary (neither are counted in the word limit).

2. The only restrictions on the content of the fic are that Nick must be the main character and that the story must be based on the song lyrics (below). You can base your fic on the idea of the song, whole or in part, use some of the lyrics...whatever you want as long as the song is your inspiration. The fics will be presented later by way of a link, so there are no worries about mature content.

3. Please do not post your fic or any links here! Send your fic to me at the email in my profile (or you can PM it to me if it's short enough). If you email it, you can put it in the body of the email or send it as an attachment. Please put the title of your fic in the subject line of the PM or email. Deadline for submissions is Saturday,May 22, at midnight EST.

4. Submissions should be anonymous! Please do not share your story with anyone else or tell anyone which one is yours once they are posted!

5. If you would like to have someone beta (proofread) your story, please choose someone who is NOT a participant in this challenge. Or if you like, I will be happy to beta your story when you send it to me. :) Just let me know when you send it.

6. Once all of the stories are in, we will publish the links to them and everyone can start reading! [​IMG]

7. After you have read the fics, you can post feedback for them. I will post the feedback guidelines when we get the stories up.

This is the last song of the first set. After this round we will begin again with everyone and choosing randomly each round, so if you want to submit a song and haven't yet, please do so. :)

And now your inspiration for this challenge! The song is "Much Too Young" by Garth Brooks, submitted by Nick3167! I can already think of a few ways to go with this, so everybody should be able to come up with something! :) You can listen to it here. Hope this Google video works for all of you because all of the ones on You Tube are covers by other people. :rolleyes: And here are the lyrics...

Much Too Young

written by Garth Brooks and Randy Taylor

This ol' highway's getting longer
    Seems there ain't no end in sight
    To sleep would be best, but I just can't afford to rest
    I've got to ride in Denver tomorrow night

I called the house but no one answered
    For the last two weeks no one's been home
    I guess she's through with me, to tell the truth I just can't see
    What's kept the woman holding on this long

And the white line's getting longer and the saddle's getting cold
    I'm much too young to feel this damn old
    All my cards are on the table with no ace left in the hole

The competition's getting younger
    Tougher broncs, you know I can't recall
    The worn out tape of Chris LeDoux, lonely women and bad booze
    Seem to be the only friends I've left at all

And the white line's getting longer and the saddle's getting cold
    All my cards are on the table with no ace left in the hole

Lord, I'm much too young to feel this damn old

Remember, the most important thing is to be creative and have fun!! Try to think outside the box...do something out of the ordinary with it...use your imagination! And once again let me say, anything goes. You can ship, not ship, slash, not slash, angst, humor, romance, smut...whatever you want. We are just having fun here and being creative. All stories are welcome and encouraged. :)

Now start writing! :)