New CSI:NY Credits Love or Hate?

When I first saw it I hated it until the end (love the Flack look with the eyebrow thing, way way hot). I have rewatched it several times now and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Yes, a bit of Flack is the cure for many many things :-D

When I first heard the new mix, I thought they'd gotten a whole new song because I don't think I'd ever heard the intro before. I don't dislike it, it'll probably grow on me. Heck, most of the time I'm watching previous seasons and I'll fast forward through the credits anyway.

The visuals are okay--save for Gary and Melina's over-the-credits billing. If Petersen, Helgenberger and Caruso don't get it, why do the the stars of the second CSI spin-off need it? It trivializes the younger cast members, and a lot of the time they're more interesting than the leads. Not a fan of that.

(shrugs) I don't really see it as being that big a deal. GS and MK have always been the first 2 in the credits, I really don't see how it makes any difference where the name of the show goes. In fact, if I'd been asked before this season I probably couldn't even have said where the name of the show appears on any of the opening credits.

The new song is weird. Maybe if they had it from the beggining we would have get used to it, but change it now is not needed. The images are cool, a refreshmment was needed, but they made it wong letting AJ out of it ad putting Gary and Melina separated from the rest. We get they're the main characters, it's not necessary to make it that obvious.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Is this a power statement for the rest of the cast? Poor decision. This is an ensemble cast that is great together. It would be a mistake to create a power struggle. More Danny please - he has so many great looks and you just swish by him. Trash it and start again.. I love the whole cast...

I love the new video but hate the butchered version of the song. The video is a lot darker which I'm a fan of but butchering a classic like that, can't like it no matter how great the other part of the credits are.

I'm not a big fan. I liked the old style. I know they're still trying to lighten the show up or whatever, but blech. :( I guess it's the quality of the episode that really matters, though.

I am pretty sure they got in intern from kindergarten to edit the song. Because they obviously don't have any clue about The Who or respect for classic rock or much of an idea on music editing. Also, the placement of CSI:NY was weird and don't put out press releases about people being made main cast and not have them in the credits.

I like the new images --Loved that they changed the opening credits at all (unlike Miami :rolleyes:), yet like others, I'm not a fan of having Gary and Melina before the show's title and the rest of the cast. It seems to be a bit of a slap in the face.

I'm also not a fan of how they changed the music. It's certainly different and fits in with the style of 'CSI' but the Hawaii Five-O beginning just doesn't bode well with me. The song seems too chopped and like Elsie stated, it felt as if it hadn't finished. Also, the opening credits seem much shorter which I don't like. It doesn't allow one to actually breathe and blink--because then it's over.

Bleh. Changing pictures? Yes please. Re-vamping the song while chopping it into muddled pieces? No thanks.

The video is awesome! But the butchered version of Baba O'reilly...in my opinion is an insult to the good name of The Who! Why couldn't they keep the old one?

it seems like the norm in the poll is that people are lovin' the new pics (face it, we needed some), but hating the machete they took to 'Baba O'Riley', and yeah, I need to agree whole heartedly. I love the new pictures, but man - why butcher the song?? I guess it'll eventually grow on me, but right now its like nails down a chalkboard for me.

CSINYRULZ said:
I guess it'll eventually grow on me, but right now its like nails down a chalkboard for me.

Well it's taken only 3 episode (OK, multiple viewings thereof) but it's finally grown on me! Yes, it's no longer weird when I hear it, and it sounds right. I'll never be overly happy with Gary and Melina taking top billing, but apart from that I would finally go as far as to say that I actually quite like it now... (but I'd still like AJ and Robert to be added). ;)

Elsie said:
CSINYRULZ said:
I guess it'll eventually grow on me, but right now its like nails down a chalkboard for me.

Well it's taken only 3 episode (OK, multiple viewings thereof) but it's finally grown on me!

Elsie tell me how you did this!! I am still trying, but the song makes my ears bleed. Oh well, I am still off to watch them 4 billion more times, and I am splicing in AJ and Robert in my head.

Elise you are not alone! I was just about to post the same thing :) After watching the eps many times I've got used to it (I still miss the old tune don't get me wrong!) The shows getting more modern and like people say what would things be with out change!! :)

^I agree! I have been watching the season 3 DVD and it makes be miss the old opening credits even more. :( I just can't say that I feel I will ever be loving the new ones. I don't really like the new video and I loathe the crap that is the new "remix" of the song. :mad:

The song is not grating on me quite as much, but the Gary/Melina top billing thing is still irksome. I think it's obnoxious to basically "demote" the rest of the cast after three seasons of the show.

Billing does reflect who TPTB consider their lead for the show -- in this case it would be both Gary and Melina. That would have been true even if they wouldn't have moved the title. Billing is just another form of compensation. It's determined in the contract with the actors. In most cases, the change in opening credits is the easiest form of non-monetary compensation the production could come up with.

I don't see this as a "demotion" because that would have to be agreed upon IN CONTRACT with the affected actors and I don't see anyone doing that. And there's more at play than just the individual actors, union regs are part of it.

More than likely TBTB wanted to move the title up in the credits and, due to contractual restrictions, couldn't put it very first thing.

I think the most telling aspect of all of this is that Melina is up as far as she is. That an actress gets such high billing on this type of show is a very good thing. It will also be interesting to see how the credits change if/when the other actors go through contract negotiations/renegotiations. To the actors and producers billing is a very delicate subject.

Back