Name Meanings of Characters

Boti (Bliss, Valera) - can't find it... it might be a stage name
I think it is a name her parents gave her but it's not a common name - it's something unique they made up.

It's a hippie name. :) From what I remember reading when I got curious about the actress and the name last summer, she was raised in a teepee. Before I looked her up, I thought this actress either has a background in adult films or her parents were hippies. Sure enough, they were hippies from what I could tell.

Marg - can't find it and am not sure what if anything it is short for
Oooh! I know this one! Marg is short for Margaret - and it means "pearl":)

Yeah, I just checked on imdb and apparently it is her real name. Her middle name is Ann. Ann means "gracious". :)

I think Stetler's real name is David also, so I've already got that meaning up there. :lol:

Aw, I think it's perfect that David means beloved. If I ever meet them in person it will be hard for me not to hug them both.

Caine, Horatio's last name, means " Spear Hunter" in hebrew

Now that's cool! I didn't know that. And he certainly is the guardian of Miami.

What I did find interesting was a search I did for the author whom Horatio said he was named for. Ironically, that author wrote about people who are down and out and rise above all to find success - or something to that tone, which I find awesome thinkng that H comes from a violent childhood, has lost many of his loved ones to hideous ends, and he's risen above it all to be the awesome cop he is! That's perseverance!!

MaddyAnn said:
Calleigh = This one is tricky to find. But based on what I've seen I believe it means "Beautiful" or "Lovely."
Good choice. Very appropriate.

Thanks, but that was actually what I found. I couldn't find any meanings for just "Calleigh," so I looked it up spelled a couple of different ways and most of them came back as "beautiful" or "lovely."

Yeah, I found out that the meaning depends on if you think it comes from CALLISTA or CAROLINE.

For CALLISTA you find that:

CALLISTUS - Late Latin name which was derived from Greek kallistos "most beautiful". This was the name of three popes (also known as Callixtus), including the 3rd-century Callistus I who is regarded as a saint.

For CAROLINE:

CAROLUS - From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that it is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior".

I think both warrior and most beautiful fit her!;)

EMILY PROCTER's middle name is MALLORY which comes from an English surname which meant "unfortunate" in Norman French.

EMILY PROCTER's middle name is MALLORY which comes from an English surname which meant "unfortunate" in Norman French.

I saw that one on one site. It's funny though cause in Celtic it means "unlucky" which is essentially the same as "unfotunate"... but its funny that it would mean the same in French and Celtic. :lol:

Very interesting topic.

Valera could be variation of Valeria which is the feminine form of the 2nd century Roman Valerius and which means saint or martyr.

Calleigh could also be variation of Ceallagh (which is variation of Ceallach) and that's (from Gaelic) war, strife (ceallach) but can also mean bright-headed.

Back