Name Meanings of Characters

MaddyAnn

Lab Technician
I saw this done on a Lost message board, and I'd thought we'd try it out here. I thought I would look up the meanings of all the main characters names and see if any of them are fitting for the character! Now I realize that TPTB of CSI: Miami probably didn't give much thought to the meanings of names like Lost did, but some of them were really funny!

Here we go!

Horatio = I actually couldn't find the meaning in very many places, but one website said that it meant Guardian. Which seems fitting, really.

Eric = Eternal Ruler, Honorable Ruler

Ryan = Little King :)lol:)

Calleigh = This one is tricky to find. But based on what I've seen I believe it means "Beautiful" or "Lovely."

Natalia = Christ's Birthday or Born on Christmas Day

Frank = Free man or Javelin

Jake = Supplanted, Held by the Heel

Julia = Down-Bearded Youth (No joke, that's what it said) or Youthful

Kyle = Narrow, Strait of water or Handsome

Tim = To Honor God

Raymond = Advice or protecting hands

Well that's all I've got for now. I might look up some others later. I couldn't find the meaning of Yelina or Valera. If you guys want to look some up and post them, feel free!

Valera is her last name. Her first name is Maxine. :)

Maxine = Greatest

Origin: Latin

===

Yelina in English is actually Helen and it means "light".

=======

Rick (Stetler) = English for powerful, rich

======

Marisol = Spanish for sunny sea.

===

Ron (Saris and also Ryan has an uncle named Ron ["Crime Wave"] lol) - adviser to the king.

===

And since Cath and Warrick were in Miami once, I can do theres too:

Catherine = pure

Warrick = strong leader

===

Peter (Elliot)= A rock. His last name "Elliot" means: my god is the lord.

==

Erica/Erika (Sykes, the newswoman who is always buggin Ryan lol) : Honorable Ruler :wtf:

===

Anya (Natalia's sis): from the name anna which means gracious.

===

John (Hagen) : God is gracious, merciful.

==

Clavo: Couldn't find it, but I believe this was the name of Doug Penhall's nephew on "21 Jump Street" and when asked what his name meant, the boy said it meant "nail".

==

Rachael (the girl Horatio was dating that Walter Redsin killed): Innocent lamb.

===

Walter: Ruler of the army.

===

Nick (Natalia's ex): Victorious people.

===

And since Mac was in Miami once too, I'll do his:

Mac = Celtic for "son of"

===

Last edited:
Marisol = Spanish for sunny sea.
^^"Mari" is the short of "María"="Mary"(I think it means light) and "sol" is the Spanish for "sun", I can't find the "sea" anywhere but who knows. :lol:

Clavo: Couldn't find it, but I believe this was the name of Doug Penhall's nephew on "21 Jump Street" and when asked what his name meant, the boy said it meant "nail".
^^Yep, "clavo" is the Spanish for "nail" (the one you hammer in not the anatomy one), so I guess that wasn't his real name but a nickname.

I think I found the Marisol meaning on name-meanings.com, but now that site isn't working for me. This is what another site says:

Origin:
Hebrew
Meaning:
Uncertain, maybe bitter

That's hilarious that Ron's name means "advisor of the king" & Ryan's is "little king".

I don't really have any to add, only that Boa Vista means "hot/good view":lol:

Where's Alexx????:wtf:

Thanks for all the name meanings, guys! I can't believe I forgot that Valera's first name was Maxine.

I thought Ryan's was the funniest. Little King. I bet that's what he thinks he is, too.

How weird is is that Rachel means "innocent lamb?" Maybe the writers picked that on purpose.

Where's Alexx????:wtf:

According to this site, Alexx means 'Protector of Mankind'. :) Makes sense as she's supposed to be the victims' last voice.

GregNickRyanFan said:
Erica/Erika (Sykes, the newswoman who is always buggin Ryan lol) : Honorable Ruler :wtf:

Well since 'Eric' means the same thing, it's no stretch to think the female version would be similar.

MaddyAnn said:
Horatio = I actually couldn't find the meaning in very many places, but one website said that it meant Guardian. Which seems fitting, really.

I found a few sites that suggests both the Latin and Italian meanings are 'Hour in Time' or 'Time Keeper'. Also, Horatio seems to be a variant of Horace meaning 'Keeper of the Hour'. There are, of course many variations in different languages like Horatia from Old English or Horatius in Ancient Roman.

I also found the 'Guardian' meaning too.

Last edited:
That's hilarious that Ron's name means "advisor of the king" & Ryan's is "little king".

Yeah, I wonder if that's the nickname Ryan's uncle Ron gave to him. :lol: I can see that. teehee.

Oh, how did I manage to forget Alexx? Shame on me!

:lol: about the Erica thing. I wasn't even thinking about it being the same as Eric. :lol: I missed that completely. :lol:

I forgot Megan (remember her?) :lol: ... her name means "Pearl".

I also forgot Dan Cooper. Dan means "God is my judge" and cooper means "barrel maker". The later would have been funnier if Cooper had been the ballistics expert. :lol: Although I'm sure that's not the type of barrel it means. :lol:

Should we do the actors names now?

Jonathan means Gift of God; God has given.
Emily means Rival
Adam means "man or red"
David means beloved one
Khandi - can't find it
Kim (Delaney [Megan] & Coates [Saris]) - leader
Rory - red
Boti (Bliss, Valera) - can't find it... it might be a stage name
Johnny [Jake]-God is Gracious
Eva- Breath of life
Evan [Kyle] - Young warrior, well-born
Elizabeth [Julia] - Consecrated to God
Marg - can't find it and am not sure what if anything it is short for
Gary (Sinise and Dourdan)- "carries spears"
Rex [Frank]- King
Sofia [Yelina] -wise
Brendan [Cooper] - little raven

I think Rob Estes was Nick (Nat's ex) and Rob means "brilliant, illuminated fame".

I don't know either Raymond's real name (sr or jr). I don't know the rest of the real names offhand either. :lol:

Last edited:
MaddyAnn said:
Calleigh = This one is tricky to find. But based on what I've seen I believe it means "Beautiful" or "Lovely."
Good choice. Very appropriate.

GregNickRyanFan said:
David means beloved one
Hear that, Emily? Call me.;)

GregNickRyanFan said:
I don't know either Raymond's real name (sr or jr).
Raymond Caine Jr #1 = Hayden Tank
Raymond Caine Jr #2 = Alex Buck
Raymond Caine Jr #3 = Carter Jenkins

Raymond Caine Sr #1 = Dean Winters
Raymond Caine Sr #2 = Christopher Stapleton

MaddyAnn said:
Good choice. Very appropriate.

Thanks, but that was actually what I found. I couldn't find any meanings for just "Calleigh," so I looked it up spelled a couple of different ways and most of them came back as "beautiful" or "lovely."

Yeah, I just checked on imdb and apparently it is her real name. Her middle name is Ann. Ann means "gracious". :)

I think Stetler's real name is David also, so I've already got that meaning up there. :lol:

Back