My CSI:NY encounter - the experience of a lifetime

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Orison, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

So as many of you know, I was in LA around mid-September and happened to be around during Hill Harper's book signing at the West Hollywood Book Fair. Other than meeting up with our lovely mod Top41 , I had the chance to listen to him talk about his book (I'm halfway through it and although I'm not a young black male I'm finding it -very- interesting) and to talk to him for a couple of minutes after that.

He knew I was going to be there so as soon as I introduced myself as "the girl from Italy" he immediately asked me if I was the one they'd told him about. Then he asked where I was from and to tell him something about Sicily. I have to admit I still can't remember some of the details because I was so focused on him I'm even surprised I managed to speak English and answer his questions. :)

He is a lot more handsome in person and a totally nice guy. Despite the oh-my-god-this-is-the-guy-from-my-favourite-show reverence, I found it extremely easy to talk to him, and this comes from a girl who has always been dragged in front of 'celebrities' and can barely form a coherent sentence. *lol*

Anyway, to make a long story short, a few days later we got to go on a set visit, and the fangirl in me was so overwhelmed by the whole experience that I must've looked like a kid inside a room full of gifts to unwrap.

The set is beautiful. And I mean it. All those glass walls, the technology, the equipment. Amazing. It takes your breath away. They were filming a scene for episode #7 and we didn't want to be in the way so we just shrank into a corner and watched them in religious silence. Gary Sinise was there, Hill, and Anna Belknap, though I did see everybody’s parking spot and there was a car in Carmine’s spot when we left that wasn’t there when we came in… figures. *lol*

They gave us headset so we could listen to the dialogue and we sat in what they called Stella’s office (but there were three desks so I’m assuming she shares it with someone else), right behind the director, and watched them film their scene for a while. Now, I’m no newbie when it comes to filming schedule but it’s always amazing to realize how much time and effort it takes to film a 2-minute scene.

Gary was focused on his lines so we didn’t say anything to him but Anna asked if we were visiting and where we were from. She told me she’s been to Italy so we talked about that for a couple of minutes and I have to say she’s a total sweetheart. It's not the first time I don't like a particular character and then I meet the actress who portrays her and I'm totally taken aback at how nice she is in real life so I’m like “ Now what? ”, like I can’t hate the character anymore! :)

After that, we were given a tour of the set (and we met some of the “real” techs, the guys who make all those cool graphics you see on our detectives’ computers) and trust me it seemed kind of surreal to walk through those rooms that I’ve seen so many times on TV. When we got to the morgue, our “tour guide” opened one of those refrigerated cells where they keep the bodies and asked if someone wanted to take a picture in there so of course I just had to! I jumped up there and he covered me with a blanket and this is the result:

[​IMG]

Isn’t that cool? ;) Then, since my friend thought the picture was kind of creepy she took another and asked me to wave and show that I was “alive”. Here it is:

[​IMG]

We left a couple of minutes later but man, it’s been a wonderful experience and I was looking forward to sharing it with you guys… :)

These guys are totally nice and so down-to-earth now I’m even more passionate about the show. They sure deserve all our support because they work really hard to give us those great performances every week and I'm glad I was there to witness some of that.

2. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

That's really great! What an awesome experience for you! I'm really glad you got to talk to Anna and Hill -- they seem like really down to earth people and very talented professionals, and I know EXACTLY what you mean about Hill's book.

3. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I'm glad you do. And I'm sure he could easily write a second book, this time addressing young women, and it would make another interesting reading! :)

4. detectdevotion

I agree! I think he's mentioned it before, actually, but I hear he's a busy, busy guy. Until then, I'll keep reading Young Brother when I need a good, inspirational kick in the pants.

5. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Really? I had no idea but I'm glad he's thinking about it. There's just something about the way he writes and how the pages flow that makes it hard to put the book down.

6. detectdevotion

He is a very accomplished writer, isn't he? One of the things I find so inspiring about Hill Harper is the fact that he owns everything he does -- he works until he masters it.

7. Rutta

Rutta Victim

Oh I am sooo jealous of you right now Orison :)
    Thanks for sharing the story!

8. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

Awww, glad you had an awesome time. Hill and Anna sound like total sweethearts. Thanks for sharing. ^.^

9. afrikana

afrikana Pathologist

omg, lucky girl!!! :D thanks for sharing! they all seem like such cool people... :)

10. allieluv_csi

allieluv_csi Lab Technician

OH..im so jealous..;) im glad you had a good time though!!! wanna take me on your next trip ;) hehe

11. feenx

feenx Coroner

Your so lucky, i have to say im jealous :p

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I officially suck for not getting you the pics from my camera! :eek: I promise, I will try to do that tomorrow.

But yeah, the NY cast and crew are really nice! And their set is just beautiful. Hill and Anna were both very sweet!

13. Nick_Wolfe_Danny

Nick_Wolfe_Danny Police Officer

Oh my god i saw Hill Harper at his book signing too, but i was to scared to go up.. yeah i'm a wuss lol :lol:

14. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Cool...how'd you get the set visit?

*hopes he does write that young women's book*

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Awww...if you guys see Hill at a booksigning, you should definitely go up to him! He's a huge sweetheart. And he knows this site, so mention you post at CSI Files and he'll probably ask you what your username is! :D