Miami rantage...

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

To be fair we know very little about Grissom though.

I was talking to my friend last night about this thread and it really did hit me last night: Miami is no longer a Forensics show- its practically a sodding soap opera. CSI and CSI:NY (though the latter I don't watch) is a cop/forensics show and Miami isn't. There is more personal drama than forensics now and for me it just doesn't work. Combine that with the seeming fixation with H; i'm rapidly losing patience with the series. The only thing that keeps me coming back for more is a) Ryan and b) Ryan and Calleigh.

I think the series should adapt the same format as LV Season 7: Focus on the forensics with their personal lives as subplots. And less god damm fracking H!

And I totally agree with SnickerGeek, I think I've been long enough for anyone with a brain to realise I'm a HUGE fan and worshipper of Jon Togo. He's one of the best actors on the series yet he's overlooked in favour of Delko... who is just the typical brooding hunk who can't really act that well.... honestly the amount of time he spent sneering and looked pissed in Season 3....

As for Alexx, Khandi Alexander is just amazing and I loved Alexx lots: I loved her talking to dead bodies and I loved her maternal chemistry with Ryan. But now she's barely in it and she's just not as interesting. Deviant should have been her episode but it wasn't and it pissed me off.

I can go on all day about how Calleigh (and Emily) is wasted but I've already done that!

2. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Hasn't it been that way though since S1? Of course I noticed it more in S4 I guess because he's no longer in the lab. While he was in the lab it seemed it wasn't centered around him as much. It was all team work. Or am I wrong here? I love Horatios's character so to me even it is centered around him more I still love H. LOL I do think we need to see more of Calleigh, Alexx, Eric, & Ryan.

BTW welcome JimJiminy81

3. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I would have to agree with that JimJiminy. I also think that the Vegas and NY casts have a better chemistry within their teams, character wise. I don't think this is just down to the writing. The teams just gel better somehow.

That being said, I still enjoy Miami more than the other 2 shows. Just a personal preference of course, but I like how it sets itself apart from them by being different. It tends to not take itself too seriously, so it's fun to watch for me. :)

Apart from most of Season 4, but I think we've covered that more than enough.... ;)

4. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

Miami is different from the other shows. It does have a whole different atmosphere - possibly because of the H-centricity.

I need to have a little rant about something. Please, PLEASE, will H stop leaving meaningful pauses in the middle of sentences? It's driving me nuts. He takes his sunglasses off and looks meaningful and I can almost say the words along with him. It's just too predictable now. *finishes rant and wipes brow*

I'm not Criticising criticising... but I think DC will turn into a caricature if he's not careful.

Oh, and MikeW? I agree with everything you said about Jonathan. More subtle than Delko, great acting, drool-worthy looks - what more could a girl want? :p

5. SamStokes

SamStokes Police Officer

Oh sorry to cut the rantage short, but does anyone have largish pictures of the latest CSI:Miami Team because the only one i have is to small for what i need it for.

6. MiamiDade

MiamiDade Pathologist

^ You might want to ask that question in this thread. Actually, I think some pictures of that nature might have been posted there or links to them. :)

Back to the rantage, not that I feel a need to rant really unless we're talking about Season 4! ;) Everyone has their favourite actors/characters on the show and I guess everyone wants to see their favourite character(s) get more screentime. This would make it a better show in our own minds as it suits our own bias, but not necessarily a better show in terms of the bigger picture. CSIM is extremely popular. The formula works for most fans, so I very much doubt that the H-centric nature of it will change. Love him or loathe him, H is the linchpin of the show and always has been.

7. Shehir

Shehir Witness

Mike W, I totally agreed with everything you said, but really not about this. When you look back to seasons 1 and 2 Miami was very much about Horatio and Calliegh (which I never had a problem with) so when it came to seasons 3 and 4, I was glad that Eric was finally in the "limelight" a little more. From owning his official site and being able to interview Adam, he's a great guy and a fantastic actor.

Of course season 5 will be about Horatio, that will never change, but who knows, maybe now that Eric has had his screen time, now Ryan could be featured more, but that's down to the writers. 4 seasons had past, so why shouldn't we see more to Eric's background? We already know enough about H's.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Funny you should mention that because next week's edition of the Radio Times (who I'm still pissed at for dissing Calleigh- I remember them praising her as Ainsley in The West Wing) comments that its being done so much its already a self-paraody.

I really hope so. Ryan is my favourite member of the team (and not just because of his brooding (drop dead gorgeous) looks! JT is a really good actor and he's superb in every episode he's in. I LOVED "Under The Influence" because it was somewhat Ryan-centric.

Now I don't watch NY at all (I don't know why, I just don't.) but I'll agree there is more chemistry between the characters in LV- but this is because the characters get equal screentime (Greg excluded.... unless you include "Spellbound") which means they can develop the relationships more. In MI- if there is a scene without H its a bloody miracle. Alright, I may be exaggerating but you know what I mean.

9. talyra

talyra Hit and Run

I don't think that's much of an exaggeration...

It wasn't so bad in the first two seasons, because then you could just laugh at him and wait for the story to continue. Now, there is no story without him! He inveigles his way into every case storyline so it becomes more about him than about the case, and from the spoilers it sounds like he's about to start invading the other characters' personal story arcs too! CSI is meant to be about the case first, characters second, not the other way around >.< I'm sorry if some people don't like that - but that's what soap operas and Big Brother are for! By all means keep the character stuff (or you end up with Law & Order), but keep it to small snippets as much as we can, please!
    It's gotten to the point where I'd get rid of Horatio completely if I could, cos he infuriates me so much. He was good for a bit of comic relief, but he's simultaneously come to dominate and become a total self-parody. In reality, I know we're not gonna get rid of him unless Caruso decides to leave, but is it really so unreasonable to want the other characters to have a decent level of screentime and not have him utterly dominate every episode???

10. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

Come to think about it, Miami is the CSI show whose characters get along the worst :lol: Really, think about it, the characters in LV and NY all get along really well, and I never see as many conflicts as in Miami, character-relationship-wise... There were bits, like Sara and Catherine in one of the episode, but not like I can name a few on top of my head. While in Miami... you get almost everyone hating each other! :lol:
    Well... At least there's so much tension and argument...

I can see LV characters eating lunch together in one table, having a great time, everyone's laughing, as well as NY characters, while I can't picture that with Miami characters. Except that Ryan and Delko might try poking each other with bread knife or something... :rolleyes:

11. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

I feel the need to have a little rant. Something's niggling at me. :mad: It seems to me that there are a number of episodes where it transpires that the killer did what they did because they thought that their victim was doing something they weren't. Confused? :confused: Me too. I'll go into more detail. Apologies to anyone who hasn't seen these episodes.

In The Score, the killer thought that the victim had sex with his (the killer's) sister for points on his scorecard. In Silencer, the killer thought the victim was having an affair with her husband, when she was just giving dancing lessons. In Legal, the killer thought he'd bee turned down by his victim, when she was just trying not to incriminate him because she was there undercover - she was protecting him really. I'm sure there are more examples, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

I'm not really fuming about this, but it's getting a little predictable when they're getting to the end and whoever's investigating tells the killer that they were mistaken about what their victim was up to and they needn't have killed at all. :rolleyes: Cue slowly dawning look of horror on the killer's face.

Something that does make my flesh crawl is the way Horatio behaves with children. :mad: He's trying to get down to their level, looking directly into their eyes, trying to connect... All I'm thinking is "creepy, creepy, creepy". And he keeps giving children his phone number. :eek: Is it just me?

12. Annissa

Annissa Witness

I’ve been a fan of forensic TV shows for a long time. Before the CSI’s I only watched The History Channel, Court TV or Discovery – thinking shows – I want a show to educate me. That being said, when the CSI programs came out I read almost everything there was to about them. One of the things I remember reading was Miami was going to be different from Vegas, which put the emphasis on the scientific aspect of the show and virtually nothing about their personal lives. Miami was to revolve around Horatio and Megan. Megan left, Horatio stayed.

I was not a fan of DC prior to Miami. I loved Proof of Life (esp. the “holy snappin’ assholes’ scene – almost the best one in the movie!!) but I would have classified myself a Russell Crowe fan. I was impressed with DC in that movie. However, when Miami came out I was pretty sure DC would be why I stopped watching it. I was wrong. I’ve watched all 4 seasons (and TONS of reruns now that A&E is airing them – thank heavens!!!) and enjoyed all of them. I think the posing and hip-hugger antics and his dialogue give him and Miami a certain charm – others are put off by it. How much input does DC have, does anyone know?

We all have our favorites – personally I don’t like Ryan. I couldn’t remember why until I saw a few reruns this past week. DC was cast as the primary star – he makes the big bucks and honestly, his is the name most people know from that show. Of course the writers are going to capitalize on that. Hope this doesn’t offend – it’s just my two cents!

13. Annissa

Annissa Witness

I want to comment to AliGtr's post about H’s behavior toward children. As a CCD teacher of 2nd graders for the past 17 years, I do not think H’s behavior is creepy. You are supposed to get down to a child’s level – eye level – if you want them to really listen. He represents an authority figure – a GOOD authority figure, so I think giving them his card makes them stronger. At least they know they can call him when they need him. If you notice he never touches them, he simply conveys all his emotions and feelings through his facial gestures.

14. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

Annissa, if you need to add something to a previous post, please use the edit function as opposed to double posting as this can be considered spamming. The 'edit' function is available for 24 hours after making a post.

Thanks. :)

15. Annissa

Annissa Witness

Thanks - Ali's post wasn't visible to me when I posted originally. When I went back in to edit my post I couldn't access it. Not sure if I was too quick hitting the buttons or what. I thought the post was locked. Thanks for the info.