Miami rantage...

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't get me wrong here, I love CSI: Miami, I really do. Its a quality show that's provided me with hours of entertainment. But there is just one huge, major problem: We get too much David Caruso and too little of the other members of the cast.

There's nothing wrong with Horatio as a character (apart from his seeming arrogance) I just don't like David Caruso all that much. Yet the writers seem intent to make the show "The David Caruso Hour"- the original CSI is an ensemble show. Okay, granted that Gil gets a lot of screentime, but so do the others (noteable exception being Greg)- and from what I've seen of NY this seems to apply as well. So why can't Miami be the same?

I find that, Season 4 especially (bear in mind I've only seen a few episodes) that the other non-Caruso actors (Togo especially) often act DC off the screen while he stands there all smug. If you need evidence- watch Emily Procter in The West Wing. She's brilliant and often steals the show from established actors like Rob Lowe and Martin Sheen. Yet in Miami, she's vastly wasted. She gets very few good lines and just seems to be bored out of her skull.

The same goes for Khandi Alexander. Alexx is an intriguing character and her maternal relationship with Ryan is often fascinating viewing: when we get to see her- which isn't often. She really stood out in "Deviant" and in the episode where she has one of her co-worker die from drink driving. Yet we never really see her.

I want to say again, that I do like Miami, but I think that there is too much Horatio. The character doesn't really appeal to me at all, he's very arrogant and smug and I've heard that Caruso can be the same. I especially hate the way he seems to solve cases that he doesn't seem to be involved in. Come on Miami writers, make the show an ensemble show and NOT CSI: David Caruso!

2. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I agree with basically everything you said, iI do however disagree about Calleigh, I think that she should have been in the jewlery store with Horatio instead of Speed. Yes Alexx is a wonderful character I hope that the writers giver her an episode like SVU gave their ME.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I was never a big fan of Speed at all- so I disagree with that comment, but hey thats just me. What does everyone else think about the subject at large?

4. Chez

Chez CSI Level One

All I can say is that I´m glad Rory Cochrane decided to leave this soap opera formerly known as CSIM. Miami used to be my favorite show but nowadays i prefer Las Vegas. The characters get equal showtime and it still is a crime-show.

5. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

I totally agree with you, especially all the stuff about Emily Procter. Seriously, was their one storyline that any of ther other characters had that didn't end up being to do with Horatio?

Eric was the only other person who really got much of a storyline. His drug thing? Horatio fixed it. Marisol? We all know what happened there. Even the thing with Ryan's eye, ended, if I am not mistaken, with Horatio trying to get him to go to the doctors? All I can do is hope this season is more even, from the spoilers it looks like it might be a big season for Emily, but I shall remain sceptical.

6. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I partially agree with your post MikeW. As much as I admire H and DC, the show does centre too much around him, but it always has done. Ann D positively worships the guy and Miami is unashamedly H-centric! This is, at times, detrimental to the show, but Ann D doesn't see it that way at all.

I do, however, think that DC is an excellent actor. He was a little lacklustre in Season 4 and seemed to be going through the motions at times. The poor writing is partially to blame for that though. I also don't think Horatio is arrogant or smug. Self-assured and in control, yes. I guess that is just a matter of opinion and interpretation.

As for standing around at crime scenes, that bugs me too. For example, surely he could 'open the trunk' himself once in awhile rather than saying 'Open the trunk please Mr Wolfe!' I would like him to be more hands on certainly.

I really didn't like the way that Eric's Marisol storyline became Horatio's storyline. That was misguided, unconvincing and made the latter part of Season 4 almost unwatchable for me. I couldn't wait for it all to be over!

Having said that, DC has created an unforgettable character in Horatio and I think he deserves credit for that. He reminds me of Columbo in a way (not characteristic wise), in that he will live long in the memory, but he also has a knack of being really quite irritating at times!

7. Fool4love

Fool4love Police Officer

I think that one of the things that makes the CSI shows so popular is that they focus more on the story and less on the characters. And then through out the season you find out a bit about each character. The problem with maimi, like other people have said, is that it is becoming to H focused. In LV the characters seem to share screen time and each actor is given the chance to carry an episode, therefore showing their talent. But in Miami actors like Emily Procter seem to be geting less and less screen time, which is frustrating because there is potential for some really good background stories that don't overtake the main plot, like H's do. Like MikeW i have only seen a few season 4 episodes, but from what i hear it isn't getting better any time soon. Lets hope that season 5 has a more well rounded approach to the characters stroylines and screen time. I hate seing talented actors wasted on a bad script.

8. Shehir

Shehir Witness

I agree with you MikeW. The other characters get overlooked way too much. I would love to see more of Alexx on screen as she is great to watch. I too have no problem with David as I think he is a great actor, but on Miami he seems to be getting worse. The writers need to stop the thing with the sunglasses and making H stand with his hands permanatley on his hips. And why does he always call Ryan "Mr. Wolfe"! As I live the UK, I've yet to see all of season 4, but I thought the episode "Three Way" was great as Horatio wasn't in it much and it focused on the other 3 CSI's. I am glad that Delko is getting more screen time though!

9. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I agree with you MikeW. I was just saying last night that the writers always focus more on the case he is on. The other CSI's cases get half the screentime he does.

It also always bugs me that no matter what he always ends the show with something personal, or we always see him standing there. I know he's the main character, but I remember watching an episode when Ryan did alot of the case and he did barely anything and he was the one at the end looking smart like he did everything. It bugs me like hell.

Jonathan Togo is an amazing actor, and he should be able to showcase his talent. Im pretty sure everyone here knows how great DC is at acting, so give some other cast members a chance. I don't know why all the shows are like that. Greg on LV is a great actor, but hardly gets any screentime.

I hope in season 5 the writers notice what they're doing and they change it. I think thats highly unlikely though :(.

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I agree with a lot of things that have been said on this thread. In terms of DC himself, I haven't seen him in anything else, so I won't comment on his acting abilities.

As for Horatio, however... I think that he has great potential. He just needs to be toned down a bit. A little less screen time could do wonders. The way he's always involeved in everything, and the way he solves most of the cases, even when he doesn't do anything, and how the show always ends on him... it's starting to make him seem too good... inhuman almost. In the sense that he must be a machine, because no one person could do all of that and still be able to get out of bed the next day. He should be exahusted, mentally and physically. Oh, and the sunglasses, and the hands on the hips, bugs me to no end.

I also agree that Miami should be more of an ensemble show. There are some great characters on there that we just never get to see, because Horatio is stealing the light. The way he's constantly watching over them, and how he's always the one to find what they miss, makes it seem like the rest of the team is incompetant, and I don't like that. These people are good at their jobs, or else they wouldn't be on his team, right? I don't have a problem with H, I just think that toning him down would make him seem more real.

In season 4, there were not many episodes that I *really* liked. Not to say that there weren't any good episodes, just no outstanding ones. There were, however, a few moments that I was quite pleased with. For instance, at the end of Fade Out, when Eric was talking to the kid who got away, and he was the one to say he'd always be there, (I also loved in Pirated when he stole H's We Never Close line). Eric had his moment, now it's Calleigh's turn. Or Ryan's or Alexx's. Heck, even Tripps. The detectives in the other shows get way more time than he does.

Okay... I'm done now. :) Did I mention that I do love this show?

11. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

The first mistake they made was taking H out of the lab. He was more interesting when he was involved in stuff. Not like now standing around doing nothing. He acts like he's gonna get his hands dirty if he touches something LOL.

I agree the others need to be involved more in the storylines. I love the H character but, I have to agree after getting hooked after watching FF things seem to go downhill especially after I'd watched S1-3. Then I could really see a big change in S4. I also don't like the colors. Hope they tone all that down this season also.

Hoping S5 will be a whole lot better.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your support here guys- I really thought there'd be a massive backlash here.

I don't rate DC as an actor. I've seen him in a couple of other things and he's basically playing Horatio surronded by different people. He never really seems to show any emotion and spends most of his time talking in that quiet, over dramatic voice.

I'm not such a big fan of Delko, myself- I don't like his attitude towards Ryan at all. Its completly implausible that he still resents him because he isn't Speedle! People move on- but Delko hasn't. I suspect this is because the writers are to H-obsessed and don't really bother developing the other characters.

I was flicking through the British TV guide- The Radio Times and they were reviewing Three Way and they referred to Calleigh "as the sweet girl who should be selling sweets, not processing crime scenes". They also commented on the H-over-exposure. Sorry for repeating myself, but Emily Procter is a great actress- she totally stole the second season of the West Wing as Ainsley. her last appearance elevated an otherwise dull episode.

Sandersidle, I totally agree with you- Jon Togo (as well being too attractive!) is a wonderful character actor. I loved the episode (name escapes me) where he discovers a baby has been kidnapped by his nanny. Of course that story was swiftly taken over by the ever omnipitent H- who had NOTHING to do with that case.

As a budding screenwriter- it really irritates me when good actors are overlooked in favour of more famous actors. H's screentime needs to be cut down- considerably. If the writers need any proof that having thier main character absent for an episode look at the Season 6 episode of LV where Nick becomes obsessed with finding the little girl from the pot-growing family. Gil doesn't appear at all- and it works!

Anyone else want to chip in/ make more comments?

13. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I found that really funny! I read all the Miami reviews in the Radio Times, and even though I don't always agree with them, they are often quite accurately cynical.
    Having seen DC in a variety of roles over his career, I have to disagree with you. Try watching him in 'Proof Of Life' or 'Session 9'. You may be surprised. ;) There are many others too.

I love DC, but I also think he gets too much screentime. As said before though, Ann D adores him, as does Anthony Zuiker, so I doubt they will consider reducing it by very much.

I also think that Emily is a great actress and I loved her in The West Wing. She is underused on CSI:M and the recent poor writing has also made Calleigh seem wooden and robotic. The spoilers for Season 5 look promising, so hopefully we will get to see what we know she is capable of. :)

14. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

That would be Shootout.

Oh, I don't think so. I got hooked on H before I even saw any of his movies and I don't ever recall seeing even a little bit of H in any of them. After seeing some of his other stuff,I believe that's what helped him play the part of Horatio like he does. Now as far as S4 yes, it's been centered around him too much I think. *sigh* I can't believe I just said that. H is my fave character. Wished they left him in the lab. He has nothing to do now but stand around with hands on hips.*swoons* at the image and say one liners. :lol:

15. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

I agree with everyone here...Horatio is just a little too much everyone's "saviour"! But it works, right? I mean, he's fairly good looking ( or so I get the impression), he's noble (helping everyone out like he does, Susie, Jennifer....god at the end of the month he must be really broke!....), so he's charismatic, that's probably why the show is so popular, it seduces the science geeks because it talks about forensics but also the people that like soap drama, because they have a good looking hero with lots of screentime and drama. That's probably why in most places Miami is more popular than the CSI:LV.I would prefer the show to go bak to how it used to be, lots of science, interesting crime scenes, with just a bit of background stories, personnal stories I shall say. But if it works for the vas majority of people , and if Ann D and Zuiker think the show is more succesfull the other way, why would they change it, it eemed to work with season 4, why blame them? :(