Melina Kanakaredes Leaves CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 12, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The bad press for Eddie Cibrian was present when he JOINED the show, so considering that, I really do not think that it was a factor in him being let go. I think he was let go a long time ago (since Adam returned and he initially was there to fill the void of Adam's departure and was not needed anymore in their mind once Adam returned) and the show runners didn't want to say anything until closer to September so as not to give away the cliffhanger (if that is indeed how Jesse Cardoza goes out)... however, once people started calling CBS sexist when they started releasing all these women, CBS themselves decided to release the info about Eddie so they could say "we're not sexist, we got rid of a guy too".

==

I'm not sure about the idea of Stella going missing. It could be interesting, but it could be frustrating as well.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I have to agree with you on Anna, just because one star leaves, why bash her co-worker? she's darling, a great actress, and her relalationship with Danny awesome and their baby girl, so sweet. I'm glad she's at least still on the show:thumbsup:

3. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

(I know I'm going slightly OT here, but I think it ties in)

I agree that it's 2.5 Men's worth, rather than Charlie Sheen's himself that's getting him the salary; I saw the rumors that last spring was supposed to be the last of Two and a Half Men, so if they wanted to keep it so badly I can see why they'd agree to such a huge salary (it's still a ridiculous figure, imo, especially when considering other leading actors on CBS, but I can see why they'd agree; 2.5 M is still fairly huge with the ratings).

What gets me is that CBS has kind of been a "crime-show" network for at least ten years, if not more, and Criminal Minds and all the CSIs (though perhaps not getting the same high ratings as before) have been among their strongest performing shows. Yeah, loyalty has zero place in network negotiations, but that's still beyond frustrating :lol: Not to mention, you'd think they'd want to preserve the longevity of their "safety-net" shows as much as possible -- "safety" in that, well-performing as 2.5 M and even Big Bang Theory might be, they aren't the kind of shows I can see performing that well for 10+ years -- and angering the fans of those shows isn't the best way to do that.

My bad -- but I could've sworn I'd read somewhere that they had a big storyline planned for Jesse in S9. In retrospect, I suppose that big storyline could be his leaving...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

Wow. Wow. I personally did not see this coming, at all. Damn. :scream: Honestly, I figured Gary Sinise would be the first to leave from the cast we have now, just because he's more of a film/stage actor and maybe he would tire of playing the same character for years...but Melina? It's a shame, considering Stella is/was the strongest female presence on the show. I honestly can't see this being solely about money, unless they were talking an extreme pay cut, which makes no sense whatsoever (then again, CBS hasn't been making much sense, especially after the Criminal Minds disaster...still not over that, tyvm! :mad:), considering there were places were cuts could have been made that would be much more logical (for example, getting rid of Anna Belknap ;)).

I just hope that whoever replaces Stella will be a good actress (and that the character won't be static and one dimensional *LindsayMonroe*), and that the showrunners will take this as an opportunity to turn a new leaf in the show and get it back to what it was in it's earlier seasons. And of course, I hope for the best for Melina.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Usually $$$$ talks but on one star who pulled in $600,000 per episode was William Petersen, & he still left the show, so some care about the buckos and some don't~On our Vegas/CSI Marg gets $390,000 per ep. and 2nd is Laurence Fishburne $350,000 who knows why, star power and ratings.:wtf:

6. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

Oops, accidentally double-posted (or something). Sorry, haven't posted on here in a while. Delete if needed.

7. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

600,000?? Wow. Compared to that the NY actors are really working for free :p
    It's still a lot of money. I'd be glad to make what Melina made per episode (said to be 200,000) per year... even half of it would be nice.

8. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think I read on Forbes that Gary Sinise was making $250K and that Melina was pulling in $200K an episode. I would assume the other actors on the show make less than Gary.

I read that David Caruso also got $200K/episode, while William Petersen was making $500K/episode.

Although, I have also read that Sinise was making $120-150K and Caruso was making $375K.

9. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I thought I read in one of the posts that the timeslot has changed for the fall. When will it air when it returns in September?

10. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I'm with you on that Poppet! Melina LOVES Stella she would not just drop the character by the wayside, if nothing else closer for herself as well. She is also faithful to her fans and would not be so flippent about leaving.

I think I read somewhere that it was not ruled out that she would not come back for a final scene. Also what was up with Adam? I dont watch miami why did he leave and is he back and gone for how long?

A pretty stupid move seems like an insult to Melina AND her fans!

Can you post the address? If not PM me Melina deserves the support because the statement they gave is pure hoey!

The hard work and effort of the actors and actresses make it more then a show and that is Great talent.

I cant believe how much this news has consumed me! I'm like a "crackhead" needing every moment of forum news hoping along the way it is just a bad dream and not the Melina finale. Heck Elwood made me late for my workout!:p All is well now though, got to work off some frustration and back firmly ensconced in my leather waiting for the news that Carmine is leaving the show because he is trying to juggle two wives.:lol:

Yes on a more sober note your right and it is ruining alot of peoples days mine included. It seems laughter is not the best medicine here.:(
    And that about sums it up they are cold, calculating and cruel and not only will they lose viewers over CSINY but I for one tuned in for Criminal Minds and CSI because of CSINY. There goes three hours of CBS viewing for this fan unless of course they come to there senses and see the error of there way. A round for all of them...Please pass the Hemlock.

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

You are entitled to your opinion, but others are as well. Calling people "stupid" over their decision to leave won't endear you to anyone here. Please remember, to each their own. Same goes on the opinion of Anna Belknap's acting skills.

Lay off on the "bashing" accusations as well. Thanks.

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

^Me too! I started to watch a lot of CBS shows because of CSI: NY. I think of all existing CBS crime shows, NY seems to be the most underrated. For many it's just there. They don't give it a chance because they assume NY is another typical crime show. Yes it is but it has its own signature.

It is really an insult to Melina/Stella and us fans what just happened. It seems CBS made a contract in which Melina had no choice but to turn it down. It's so suspicious. Melina loves promoting Stella and CSI: NY then suddenly this?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I still don't get all of the negative comments about CBS. It's not obvious that CBS forced her to leave. As of now everything we know for sure is that she chose not to renew her contract. Why that is has not been stated for sure.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Well... yes and no. On one hand, actors' contracts for series television are generally for six years, so basically Melina's chosen to not renew her contract. No one can blame her for wanting to walk away for six years--putting six years of your life into anything is a long time. On the other hand... I doubt that "she was asked to take a pay cut" thing came out of nowhere. Given the other women let go/put on reduced contracts on CBS shows, it seems pretty likely that that was the case. The other female regular on CSI: NY, Anna Belknap, was clearly on a reduced contract this season. I think it's impossible to ignore the precedent--and that's coming from CBS, not the writers or showrunners.

15. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

i just lost an entire post. @#$%%^^.

I have been away for a while and just signed in because it's about time for these kinds of announcements to start surfacing. Can't say I'm all upset about it. Most of you know that Stella was not my favorite character. I think she was just about done this last season. And I was never in favor of the pairing with Mac on any other level but warm close friends/family. I'm SO glad to be done with the Greekness of Stellamou. I also didn't like the dynamic between Stella and Lindsay so am glad that is over too.

Sela Ward is a wonderful addition, imo, and I'm excited to see what she will bring to the show. I think it will be a breath of fresh air for the team. I'm wondering if she will be taking on the supervisory role or if they will take another tack with her charachter. I am hoping she won't be a supervisor since I always thought she and Mac overlapped way too much with their interactions with the team.

As for Melina not filming an exit for Stella in S7 (think that's what I read...she's not going to be in S7 at all) it sounds like there wasn't a whole lot of negotiating going on there.

Overall, I'm glad for the shake up and hope that whatever they do next brings back some of the sparkle the show has lost.