Melina Kanakaredes Leaves CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

That actually makes more sense than rest of the reasons they give us. Better go out with the loud bang while you're at the top of your game, I guess.

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

It's a real shame Stella/Melina is leaving, she will leave a big gap on the show and whoever comes in to replace her will have a big job on their hands. Stella had great chemistry with all the cast.
    I just hope the writers give her a decent exit. Maybe s6 was MK's last full season, and the arc/story that results in her character leaving will happen in s7. I thought the writers did a good job of handling both Angell and Aidan's exits.
    I won't be at all surprised if this is the last season of the show, though, what with the move to Friday nights, and now this.
    I'll be interested to see what Melina does in the future, and I hope too that she can get to spend a lot more time with her kids.

3. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Im' so sad about this news.But that was Melina's choice so I respect it and I want to wish her good luck with her career.First we had timeslot change and now this! CBS seems to look how to end the show.

4. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

I think though, if either was the true reason she'd return for an exit. It was obviously unplanned since it wasn't set up last season.
    If she wants to spend more time with her kids she could return for another episode.
    And as you said yourself, Sinise took the CSI Job because it would allow him to spend more time with the kids.
    It's quite late for her to want to do that. Aren't they 10 and 8 or 7? They're both on school, both are going to spend more time with friends, are outgrowing that age where you "want to spend more time" with them.
    Additionally, it's about one more season. She wouldn't even return for half, apparently. I think, if she waited so long to spend time with her family then she could have waited another season - especially if her kids are with her.
    The comments made by her and CBS suggest that there's more to it because neither really said anything.

5. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I think I smell dead fish.

AWWW ELWOOD! Talk about kicking us while we were down!:lol:

The fact that neither bear "ill will" towards her considering it will affect there livlihood as well , Gary was quite gracious in referance to her "class". I really feel the blame lay with CBS HHMMM time to check out ABC NBC.
    And as mentioned, her last episode has already aired? I guess there is no Stella in season seven not even for a moment:(.

6. Sendibo

Sendibo Victim

:( so sad that Stella/Melina is leaving, been one of my favourite CSI:NY characters for a while now.

7. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

This is as if I had been hit by an invisible blunt force trauma. This news came right out of nowhere, and I'm not sure where to begin.

Out of all the CSI characters, Stella is indeed one of my favorite characters, as NY is my favorite CSI. She has this unique, strong presence that I can't even measure up to personally in real life. I like how determined she is in helping victims, even if it means chewing out suspects and murderers in front of their family members and attorneys, like she did in Season 1. It's a shame that I don't really know much about her, her background (It would be an honor if CSI: NY were to do an episode about where they all started, especially why Stella has chosen to be a cop/CSI), I think she was a foster child, like Sara from Las Vegas was. I only remember her connections with her Greek Professor, that she was involved with a crime in Philadelphia years before being a CSI with the Cold Reveal (Cold Case crossover) episode, and just what makes Stella Stella. Tough, smart, determined, into doing her job, stubborn, sometimes in over her head. That's something that I like about her that sets her apart from another CSI who used to be a stripper, or another robotically fixated on her nauseating shooting range, cleavage-cut blouses, her many boyfriends, and her baby talk during interrogations. This makes me wonder if sexism within CBS or the CSI crew really does ring true, especially when it comes to women like Stella/Melina, who does not look like your average FHM supermodel. Intimidated much, CBS?

It makes me wonder if scumbags like David Letterman truly measure up to CBS red-blooded standards, given his scandals and attacks on the Palins and their kids. Yet, they keep him in the air, as well as alot of reality shows and unfunny sitcoms, all while cancelling good shows like Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case, and offering pay cuts to those portraying good characters with strong fanbases.

As for Melina, I wouldn't really know the real reason for her sudden departure. But, I guess it would be difficult juggling work in L.A. and N.Y. while raising kids who are now in most need of parental presence, and running a restaurant in Ohio if it's still happening. I think that Stella would have been a good parent if she had finally found the right guy. I was wondering if that baby on the On The Job episode was one of hers. I like how worried she was about that baby. Her range of emotions exceeded Ryan Wolfe's worry about the baby in a Miami episode, when he sees the mom just take the baby while talking on her cell phone.

I sure wouldn't want for her to be killed off, nor even leaving just like that come Season 7, Episode 1. Unless Bruckheimer's crew would want Sela Ward (or whoever) to curl up her hair and be the next Stella. I wouldn't know if Bruckheimer and his people work that way (different actors playing the same character). Or if Stella would probably leave promptly after finding out she's carrying Adam's baby. Either way, I don't want her killed off.

I wish nothing but the best for Melina and whatever she chooses to do career-wise. And I do believe that whole boomerang effect if Melina's deal with CBS/CSI: NY creators wasn't too sour. I'm sure she'll come back some way. But, for me, this does blow!

8. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Make that Mac's and you've got a deal :p
    Seriously, though, it's a little late for that, isn't it?

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

well yeah, i mean, i'm not saying i necessarily believe that line, just that it is plausible, all things considered. i'm inclined to agree that if that were the main reason it wouldn't be what at least appears to be such a sudden decision. but i guess we just don't know.

10. yen35

yen35 Witness

Oh, thats not good. Stella is my favorite character on CSI NY. Will miss her.

11. ASCHATRIA

ASCHATRIA Witness

It sucks!! Im droping show and full pull of from forum!! Have nothing to say! Mods please delete my account!!!!!!!!!

ANGRY

12. elapidHUN

elapidHUN Victim

ME TOO!!!!!
    right behind you bossnita!!!!

:klingon:
    :scream:
    :angryrazz:
    :mad:

packing right now and finding myself better company!!!!!
    :beer:

yuck!!!! CBS STINKS

13. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

It's a shame that Melina leaves to show. I was quite shocked at first. I really liked her a lot but I'm not going to stop watching the show. I'm interested to see what kind of stuff next season is going to be. Besides as long as Gary is in the show I'll be watch it. :)

I loved gary's twitter message. :)

I respect Melina's decision and I wish her all the best in the future. =)

14. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

So now it's official that Sela Ward is joining the cast... So MK exits one day and SW is announced as taking her place the next. Sounds like CBS already had a plan. I can't believe Sela Ward is a low-cost replacement, so I wonder what's really going on. And I don't for a second believe it's about MK wanting "to spend more time with her kids." As was mentioned above, it's a little late for that, given their ages. Perhaps there's some family crisis and CBS is being nice about it. Although I've never thought of CBS as being all that nice. Guess we'll just have to wait for the fallout.

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

One thing we have to remember is even though we found out the news Melina was leaving yesterday and Sela is joining the cast today doesn't mean that's when it all went down. This could have been in the works since S6 ended or even before that and now is the time they were able to make the official announcements. That they'd know Melina was leaving and have a replacement in place when they begin shooting in two weeks is not odd or suspicious at all.