"Mascara" 200th Ep Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Mar 14, 2009.

1. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Worst.Episode.Ever

I'm not a fan of the new CSI but I'm still watching and I ocasionally enjoy it, but last episode was beyond awful.

45 minutes of Ray and Lucha Libre? Why?????

No, thanks

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think we should start a "Dear Writers" thread here like NY and Miami forums have.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Chase at beginning was too long for my liking
    Too much wrestling
    There was no mention of the wrestler who was shot, I'm still waiting to hear that they found him.

They only thing I like about the episode was that the conversations seemed more natural.

Apart from that, pure pants.

I've started rewatching this season from the beginning again but will skip this one when I get to it.

4. GregNickRyanFan

You know, I thought it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd find an episode of CSI that I absolutely hated and never wanted to ever watch again. Well, I guess hell froze over last night.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

WOW, So many negative comments on this episode, we all loved it, from the beginning to the end[​IMG] the beginning chase riveting, so exciting. Who was chasing Silva and why? to Dr. Langston, he was fabulous, the personal side of him knowing and being her mentor and they were friends, so he was devastated, like Nick was in "Turn Turn Turn "I knew her". He got right on it, and the beginning, different why not? Who better to have a hand in finding her killer than him. And too much Ray, well in the other episodes maybe some thought to much Nick.. the drums nice touch and so connected to the whole ep. All the team were in it, but beings he was her former teacher it was appropriate, that her do this. The voo-doo. witch doctor party, creepy, The Mexican wrestling not my forte, but interesting never-the-less:) All of it interviewing all the low-lifes and finding out she was researching who raped and killed all the other girls, fantastic. The last scene when he attacked the creep who and Brass pulled him off. He also did that to Jack in the "Crossover" episode. Everyone I've talked to today loved this ep. good job for the 200th ep. Mr. Friedkin:bolian: THANK'S

6. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I'm not attacking you but, who did you talk to? Seriously :guffaw:

7. Desertwind

MY neighbor who was watering his lawn early this morning loved it, we talked about it for like 15 minutes, A friend called me from Nevada and was thrilled and said "it was so exciting, I sat on the edge of my chair", My family members, and two people at a Wal-Mart, who were raving about how great it was:) I don't understand what fans didn't like about it?:confused: to each ones own. I've also read comments on other fan-sites and most loved it too~the only downer comments I've read about it were on here~

8. GregNickRyanFan

First of all, let me just say that this episode would have been fine for Ray's first episode, but as the 200th, no... it just wasn't where it belonged. I like LF and his character, but it bothers me how uneven the screentime was for a milestone episode for an ENSEMBLE show. It's fine to have a Ray centered episode in a different part of the season, but the 200th ep just should have featured more of the rest of the gang as well.

There's a vast difference between too much Ray and too much Nick. The difference is, Nick's been with the show for nine years. Ray hasn't even been with it for nine months. :lol: (ie it's a bit too soon for a Ray-centered episode especially when it's a milestone episode). And for a milestone episode to not feature enough the characters that helped it get to that milestone is a big insult to not only those characters/actors, but also to the fans who love those characters.

Well, think about it this way: if Grissom was still on the show and Ray was just a newly added character and this episode had only given Grissom less than five scenes (and if one was reduced to him doing someone else's job while being "bossed" by Ray) while Ray got upwards of fifteen scenes, wouldn't it upset you?

However, the loads of Ray would have been fine if the others had gotten more scenes too. Why couldn't they have shared more scenes with Ray rather than nearly every scene be him by himself? IMO, that's very rude and disrespectful to the other actors on the part of the writers and the rest of tptb who were involved.

The chase scene was okay and made me think the episode was going to be good. It had a slasher movie feel to it. In fact, it reminded me of the scene in the original Halloween where Michael Myers kills that dog. The girl squirmed very similarly. :lol: However, the episode went downhill from there. And I'm sorry, but the guy who turned out to be the killer did NOT look like he was strong enough to lift that girl like that. He didn't have the muscles for it. Plus, you could very easily tell it wasn't him in the costume. :lol:

All the reviews I've read on other sites much reflect the majority of reviews and comments here. I took a peek at CBS's forums and I did not see one positive review for the episode.

The episode would have been fine had it not been the 200th episode. The 200th episode just should have had more evened out screentime, especially for the core three who've been with the show since its conception (Brass has been there since the beginning too, but at least he got a decent amount of screen time).

If this had just been a regular episode (and not a milestone episode), I wouldn't be as upset. I would have still found the case and all boring, but I wouldn't have been nearly as upset.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  9. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

No, it wasn't bad. It was worse than just bad, there are a few words I'd like to use to express how bad but I'd be breaking the pg-13 rule.

10. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Desertwind, it seems that everyone that's defending this episode is using the same argument: "it was *different*, innovative, it took a risk, etc."

I am a huge fan of 'Twin Peaks' and 'The X-Files' (and consequently a fan of the bizarre and different) and I like shows that take you out of your comfort zone, so I don't mind to see a different CSI now and then, but that was not the case: it sucked big time, plain and simple.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I can translate the Spanish spoken scenes, but I have the feeling that it won't be necessary :scream:

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

The CSI forums on CBS.com are pretty much full of negative comments right now. The MSNBC.com poll is also at 16% liked it and 84% voted it "okay" or worse.

How many times do we have to have Ray's book show up in an episode? I'd think it was product placement if I didn't know it was a fake book.

And when he and Greg were looking at video and trying to figure out where the girl was....well where was the video from?? They know where the camera was, so duh...don't they know where the girl was?? :wtf:

12. Desertwind

It was Ray based because he knew this girl, it would have been a bit off the wall, say if another CSI took the case.. and wouldn't have made sense, And Laurence Fishburne is the new star of CSI, they didn't hire him to be shoved into the background, as he was in "Turn Turn Turn" and it's true that the other have been on longer, maybe someone should ask the writers and producers what they have in mind? He went from big screen to TV, so I don't think they would only have him on here and there, now and then. All the CSI stars have had there day of glory:thumbsup: Nick alot, which is fine I love him, but I think that this is how it's going to be. And on Grissom well, that's a whole different story. I hope he guests stars soon~I thought it was poignant at the end in his office, when he took out Silvia's pic. and started reading her report.. sad for him~and I'm the positive one here, and bottom line it was fabulous~everyone has a different view of what they see, and I was the hesitant, resistant one on the "new guy" cause' I'm a Billy Petersen fanatic.. and I think he's doing a triumphant job~so what a surprise to myself..

13. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Just because it bugged me...it was Nick's desk,his office (Greg and Riley's too) and for the life of me,I wonder why they sat him at Nick's desk. Totally bugged me!!!!

14. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Three words: conflict of interest!

How many times have we've scene a CSI taken off a case because they knew the victim and/or suspect? Catherine Willows comes to mind.

Now, I have nothing against Larry/Ray, I like his character. Yes, we all know he's the male lead, that's not what the problem is, the problem is they took four people (Ok, Brass got a little more screen time) who have been with the show since EPISODE ONE and threw them to the wayside. This was the 200th episode and Marg, George, Paul & Greg are what got them to the 200th episode (Yes, Billy, Gary & Jorja did too), the show should have been a team episode and focused more on them.

If I was one of them, believe me, I'd be pissed! I mean, come on, Marg is the female lead and you barely saw her.

Now, I'm guessing here, but if Billy and/or Jorja were still on the show and this happened to them on the 200th episode, you'd be complaining.

Yes, we all want to see our favorite character(s) in the forefront, but this isn't about that, it's about doing what is right and remembering who's been there since the beginning and the fans who've been there since the beginning. Langston is too new of a character for the 200th episode to center on. Male lead or not!

15. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Speedy

Well said,Bravo! You hit the nail on the head.:)