Marg/Catherine ~ Not JUST A Pretty Face #8

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Marg is hot. RAWR!

2. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

About that storyline, my understanding is that with the strike shortening the season, TPTB didn't have enough time to wrap up Catherine's part and it was (if I'm not wrong) one of the reasons why Marg decided to renew her contract. As much as I hope Marg leaves the show, I agree that Catherine deserves a proper storyline that builds up her departure. I don't really think that idea was why they had killed off Sam, though. His death happened in the beginning of season 7. That was almost two years before Marg's old contract was due. I don't think she'd consider whether to renew it that early. To me, the "Catherine leaves CSI to take care of Sam's business" idea was more like something they came up with after they had killed him off. JMO. :)

3. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I agree Erica. I think this storyline was thought up afterwards. I'm glad she's stayed a bit longer though, I don't know, they need a big good storyline to send her off, when they do :)

4. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I was typing up a 1983 article/interview. Marg was playing Siobhan on Ryan's Hope back then and was a new, young star to television. The article talked about how Marg got into television. It was intresting to read details about how she got discovered by that ABC snoop at one of her plays back at Northwestern. Btw, that play was Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew and Marg played KATHERINE. :D

5. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Tis fate!

6. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Is it also coincidence that both Marg & Dana Delany are currently playing characters named Catherine? (Dana's is spelled with a 'K') I think we need a cross-over episode with those two shows.

On a different note: are TPTB totally stupid or what? I was re-watching One Hit Wonder again (as I've been on a Jeff Kober viewing spree). How could TPTB not pair Jeff & Marg for this episode at some point? They're obviously comfortable working with each other (CB & Gold Coast) yet TPTB let a great opportunity slip by. I know TPTB have done that a few times over the years by not pairing up actors who have previously worked together, but have them in a totally different storyline so they don't interact. (Ralph Waite & Marg were the latest pair that didn't get to work together again.)

7. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

lol Kay. In fact, I think my current OTP is the cross-over ship of Catherine/Katherine, but that would only happen in my dreams! :lol:

8. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I'm all for a crossover of DH and CSI. I already wrote one - before Katherine came though, so it will be even MORE fun now!

9. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Wait- what's DH?

10. kc_from_kc

kc_from_kc Police Officer

DH = Desperate Housewives.

And ooooooooh my god Marg would make the best Housewife, so desperate for me to....well....no, I don't want to get modslapped, but don't tell me you weren't thinkin' it. :p

11. chipper

chipper Hit and Run

What? Katherine Mayfair does not deserve someone like Catherine! Nah, to each his own pairing, I suppose.

Anyway, I just came over to say: I think things are a little tough for Marg right now. A separation from her husband of 19 years, and Billy, her costar-friend for 9 years leaving too? Sounds like 2 big changes all at once. Throw in the belated Jorja and Gary departure and the new uh, challenge(?) of working with new actors like the Riley girl and Morpheus!

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

While I think that, yes, it's tough for Marg to have all these changes (personal & professional), I also think this is why she renewed her latest contract for TWO years instead of just one. She had to have known of the changes that were ahead and by re-signing, she was basically saying that she was looking forward to the opportunity to not only bring Catherine through some specific storylines down the road, but also realizing the fact that this was basically going to be a new challenge in a familiar environment.

If you think about it - it's the same, but different. (LOL)
    Meaning: She'll play the same character, there will still be a few of the same supporting characters, the same crew to work with - yet it'll have an entirely different feel to it with departed castmates and new ones to work with.

13. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I don't watch DH so I don't really have an opinion on Katherine. I just like seeing Marg and Dana together. ;) These two had the best chemistry between female characters I've ever seen. Despite that KC/Boonie is my first and ultimate ship, what I love about China Beach the most is really the love/hate, sister/enemy thing between KC and McMurphy. :)

14. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Here's a question:

We've seen Catherine supervise part of the team before when she was boss of swing and from that team it will only be Nick now that she'll be supervising. I don't include when she was taking over during Strip Strangler, because Gil was still helping out.

Do you think her supervising skills will change? Would she perhaps take some of Gil's skills on board, or stick to the same style from when she did swing?

The characters have all evolved since then - Riley of course shouldn't have too much of a problem with Catherine in charge, especially since she hasn't been there long. Nick had Catherine supervise him for a while in swing - but this transition should be interesting.

I think LF's character will be amusing to see Catherine supervising him - especially since Catherine appears to be younger than he is and a woman! (gasp!).

And what about Greg? Grissom was his mentor in a way - how do you think he will adjust to Catherine being his boss? I always thought he would be okay with it. Even when the rest of the team was turning on Catherine when Grissom was away, Greg seemed a little reluctant to do so.

So, opinions?

15. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Interesting question, Anne.

We know that TPTB don't understand the word 'continuity', but judging from Catherine's previous experience as supervisor, I don't think she'll change much from what she did then. Yes, there are different people under her now. (shuddup! That wasn't supposed to sound dirty! :devil: ) But I'm guessing Nick will become more of a leader in helping her with the others that aren't as familiar with her style.

As for Greg - if you remember through the years, Catherine was very instrumental in Greg's teaching as well. Remember 'After the show', where she brought him on the case instead of Nick or Sara? Or in 'Early Rollout' where he helped her search the bedroom. And there were other times when we'd hear Catherine encouraging Greg and asking how things were coming along - even asking him when he was going to get his proficiency. Yes, Grissom & Sara might have been with him a lot more in his training at all of the scenes later on, but he did get training from Catherine too.

I also think that Catherine will still stick by her previous comment to Warrick, "Grissom let a lot of things slide that I won't". There are many times that Catherine had to bail Grissom out because of things he let go too far. And Catherine has shown that she can play a little political game when she needs to.

That brings up another aspect of this scenario - Ecklie. I'm hoping that with Catherine as supervisor we get to see a little bit more of Ecklie. (hey, I'm really starting to like the guy after they made him semi-human!) He & Catherine have had some great scenes - even back in the early days when Ecklie was on dayshift, as well as when she was Swing supervisor.

As for Riley & Ray - I'm guessing TPTB will have Riley run a similar path to Sara (as I've seen them do already), but hopefully not as antagonistic and moody. With Riley having worked with the team for such a short time, I'm guessing there shouldn't be much of a change with Catherine taking over. As for Ray, I guess I'd have to wait and see how they develop his character. From what I've seen so far, he seems quite an authority figure who earns respect, so I'm hoping that they also have him a person who gives respect back to others of authority.

I think one other question needs to be asked -
    will Catherine still keep her small office, or will she move into Grissom's big one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.