Mac #7--Once a Marine, Always a Marine

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Hi guys. So many :drool::drool::drool: pics of Mac here! *fans self*
    I totally agree with you about Mac. I like that he has flaws, but I do wish someone would call him on this particular one every once in a while, and I think Stella, Sinclair, or Flack would be the one to do it. It does make him inconsistent, which is a shame because otherwise he's such a well-drawn, well-acted, deep, complex character. Some people have complained that Mac's been inconsistent on not disciplining members of the team for things he would have done before (Danny going after the bad guy in Point of No Return, Stella's actions in the Diakos case) but I see this more as a softening of Mac, of him becoming less black and white than he was in the earlier days. It would be even better if someone were to call him on his behaviour when he does something he's previously disciplined others for, and would make him an even better character. I agree about Flack doing it in Consequences and in Sweet 16, and I thought that was great, sometimes Mac needs to be told when he's wrong.
    But as well as seeing someone call Mac on his flaws, I'd dearly love to see him call Lindsay on something wrong she does. She's done some pretty unprofessional stuff over the last few seasons, and yet she's the only one Mac never seems to tell off. I like seeing a softer, more understanding Mac, but he really should have given Lindsay a warning or something after she left that evidence out in Like Water for Murder. He would have called Stella, Hawkes, or Danny on it, so why not Lindsay?

I agree with all of these. Some nice Mac/Stella moments could even include her calling him on his behaviour when it's out of line, just like he would do to her - that shows the strength of their relationship, IMO, that they aren't afraid to call each other on their mistakes and behaviour. The same goes for Mac and Flack. But some nice bonding moments between Mac and Flack and Mac and Stella would be nice too, both casual (like going to a bar or for a coffee or whatever) and more intense/emotional (like when Mac was there for Flack in Rush to Judgement or that scene in Personal Foul when Mac opened up to Stella about his doubts about catching the cabbie killer, or in No Good Deed when he talked about Ella to her). I think that what happened to Angell could make for some great bonding moments between Mac and Flack.
    Reed back in Mac's life but not in danger is a must for me. I love how we learn about Claire through many of their scenes together, and it gives Gary (and Kyle Gallner) some really good emotional stuff to sink their teeth into. The scene in Consequences when Mac describes Claire to Reed, and in Some Buried Bones when he told him her body was never found, choke me up every time, those scenes are just incredible. Gary puts so much emotion into them.
    On that note, yes, a good emotional storyline/stuff for Mac that doesn't involve him being in danger. Something like when he first met Reed, or in the s1 finale when he was getting up the nerve to date again, or in Yahrzeit this season (though I haven't seen it yet I've heard it's a good ep emotion-wise for Mac)

*runs to supply closet*:devil::devil:

I'd love to see more caring!Mac, with victims/ victims' families (though not as extreme as in the Ella case,) more like in s1 eps like Night Mother or in Supply and Demand which had some lovely caring!Mac scenes where he went above and beyond the call of duty to reach out to people affected by a case - another e.g. is in Heroes when he takes the dead Marine's watch to his fiancee, that was a wonderful moment that showed Mac's softer side, but was completely in character. Also I'd love to see him show his caring side to his team, he's been doing that more lately, and I really like it. Going to visit Sid in the hospital, going after Hawkes to stop him doing something he'll regret to the man who raped his ex-gf, letting Flack know he's there for him, reassuring Danny about being a father, offering to handle the Diakos murder for Stella and going after her, all great stuff.

:drool::drool::drool: That would be so hot! Very interesting too.

What I'd like for s6:

- To see more of Mac outside the lab. I'd love to see his apartment, and I'd love to have some friends of his introduced that aren't from the lab, some Marine buddies or something. I love seeing Mac at work and his relationships with everyone on the team, but I'd love to see more of him away from work too.

-To learn more about Mac's time in the Marines and his marriage to Claire, perhaps the early days after her death too, how he coped etc.

-More Mac/Sinclair scenes, they have a complex relationship, and Sinclair isn't afraid to call Mac out on his behaviour at times, yet also has been there to help/support him, and vice versa - Mac has very vocally criticized Sinclair at times, but he's offered him support as well. They play off each other very well.

-More casual!Mac.

-More Mac/Adam and Mac/Sid scenes, both bring out Mac's humourous, teasing side, which is always fun to see.

2. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I think since the Dobson thing, Mac has been a little less Black and White. I think that shows in the way he didn't discipline Danny or Stella for their actions (Danny in Point of No Return, Stella's actions with Diakos). That he eventually follows Stella to Greece to help her particularly shows, IMO, that he is beginning to see shades of gray. In a strictly black and white sense, Stella's actions re Diakos were wrong (lying to Mac, locking the guy in a container etc) but Mac seemed to finally recognize a shade of gray - he understood why she did what she did - and went after her. I saw 'Prey' last night and I love how Mac arrested that singer but told her that doing so was the hardest part of his job, again I think this shows he is beginnig to see a little more than just 'black and white' when it comes to the legal system and justice.
    I think perhaps what happened with Dobson, and also possibly with 'Joe' has been what made Mac begin to see things in less of a black and white way.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

my. favourite. pic. ever. :drool:

i dunno, i think it is inconsistency but i tend to see it as his professional side conflicting with his personal feelings - to me it's like it's his job duty to call people out when they mess up but that actually, personally he often thinks they have a point and is willing to help them prove it, which would then vindicate them and allow his professional side to make up for yelling at them. that's how i see it anyway. i like it - i think a lot of people have issues where the demands of a job conflict with their own opinion/feelings on something.

i think the above post (by macslady) about shades of grey is spot on as well - i think mac tries to be as black and white as possible in his job, and do everything by the book, but realises that people have actual feelings and aren't just automatons and i think therefore he sympathises when he has to call them out and that's why he's willing to give a little to help them if he believes their intentions are good.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  4. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Welcome to the Mac thread, lisasimpson. I think your name is cool!
    It is hot, isn't it? Makes me want to see Mac in uniform.:drool:

I think what you say here is very interesting. I agree, I think that Mac has begun to realize that people aren't automatons and they can't control their emotions - Stella told him that in 'Help' when Hawkes was getting involved in the case of the rapist who attacked his ex-girlfriend. I think this is why he eventually went after Stella to Greece - he believed her intentions were good. I think the same thing is true of Mac when he makes mistakes and acts 'out of line' like on the Dobson case - sometimes even he loses control of his emotions and does something he shouldn't. Similarly, i think his behaviour with Ella, while it is naive (seriously, can he not see that the girl really isn't right in the head?) comes basically from good intentions - he wants to help her.
    I do think though that someone does need to point this out to him when he calls someone out on doing something he himself does or has done, to point out to him that he too is driven by his emotions sometimes.
    But on a positive note, he's definitely learning to accept that people aren't automatons (even himself) and to see shades of gray. It makes for nice character development, and I think having someone point out to him that he too makes mistakes and is driven by his emotions just like anyone else, that he himself has overstepped the line a few times, would make for even better character development.
    I do love that he has flaws, and makes mistakes though - sometimes pretty big ones like with Dobson and Joe, and that he's driven by his emotions more than he'd like to admit - I think it makes him more human.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

it is proper hot! i actually have a big version on my wall in my study where my computer is, it's very nice to have it looking over me :)

i liked what happened with ella - she was clearly very messed up but i thought it was quite sweet when he went back to see her. i guess i also sympathised because i've been in a similar situation and i would've liked mac to come and help ;)

i agree, i think it would do him good to be pulled up on it once in a while, but i think he's working it out for himself ;)

6. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I like this Picture to. I have the picture in 20 x 25 cms with autograph.

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i don't have the autograph :mad: but mine's also the 25x20. i have a smaller version too, i got one anyway and was then given one. no complaints here ;)

8. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

That's cool! What a nice thing to look at when you're getting a bit stressed.:drool:
    Hey, I notice from your 'location' that you're from England too. I am from York. *waves* I was born down South though, Milton Keynes, but have lived up here since I was 7 (I'm 23 now).

Yeah, it was sweet how concerned he was for Ella. I bet you'd have liked Mac to come and help when you were in a similar situation....well, you never know, he does seem to have a thing for English women, he got on very well with Jane Parsons the DNA tech in s1/s2 and there was Peyton in s3. He even went to London at the end of s3 with her. We're English women, I'm sure Mac would be happy to help us out.;)

9. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ok so I was procastrating from studying and attempting to clean up my Laptop and found a few ''Mac Marine'' pics that we havent posted yet, although FB posted something similar ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *Clicky*

10. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

Nats, we do love you for your little breaks from studying. Great pics you're sharing :):) , but is the cleaning part a hint? :confused::confused:

11. Blue

Blue Police Officer

Hello everybody,

what a torture!!!!!![​IMG]

No time, no loudspeaker on the laptop in the office and no possibility to look at the pics [​IMG][​IMG]

But I found that, another interview where he underlined that he likes the siutation ( playing Mac for CSI New YSork):

http://www.jetsetjen.com/articles/celebrities/gary-sinise-true-renaissance-man-gives-back

CanĀ“t await going home!!!!!( for several reasons...)

Have a great day!!

Udonna:luvlove:

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yep, it's a nice distraction :)

*waves* i've not been to york in years but i've been out with yorkshirefolk a few times, for my sins.... ;)

yes, i've noticed the england connection too - i'm living in hope ;)

13. Blue

Blue Police Officer

Dear nattytbatty,

I am finally home and let me say:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU [​IMG]for these pics

I have immortalized it immediately on my wicked usb-:devil:stick:devil:

Have a great evening

Udonna:luvlove:

14. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

natty, thankees for the awsome pics of Mac's Marine memorabilia - I'm always squinting at the walls of his office and his bookshelves trying to work out what all his little things are. Interesting that we now know he was a 2nd Lt in the Marines. Those badge/medal things he has in the frame are really intersting too. I can't quite make out what's in that b/w picture next to his Marines plaque, though. Mac seems to have a lot of pics in his office, I always wonder what they are. There's a pic somewhere in there of a middle-aged/older couple, wonder who they are? Maybe his parents?
    Thanks for the pics again, I love how little things like that can offer an insight into a character. I much prefer Mac's office to Grissom's - which freaks me out a bit with all the bugs! I'd much rather look at a pic of Marine Mac! I think that he has so much memorbilia and personally significant items in his office shows he's a workaholic, or at least trying to make his office more familiar, maybe because he doesn't like being alone at home (especially after Claire died). Maybe he needs someone to take home with him....any volunteers (I'm first!):devil:

udonna, thanks for the link to the article about Gary, it was really interesting. He's such an interesting guy, he does so much stuff. I'm always happy to hear he's happy with NY and that he thinks it's still going strong. :bolian:

15. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

hey i live in uk near london in hertfordshire. lol am always lookin for english csi fans;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.