Low challenge entries - why are you not entering?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

I Must admit over the last couple of months or so I have noticed this more so your not being a bi*tch.

As Smokey said there is not a lot that can be done about this. Some will vote for their favorite character/show regardless of how good the other entries are, which is a shame..:(

I always hope that I vote for what I consider to be the best interpretation of the challenge (which may not always be the most technically adept entry) but if I come across two pieces of fan art that I think are great and I cant choose between them I will tend to lean towards the one that is from my favorite show..:(

Only thing I can suggest is that at the header of the voting just add in along with the other not to hints. Add in the option, Please vote for the best entries in each catagory NOT your favorite character/show.... something along those lines....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

First of all: thank you MelC for bringing up the point of "biased voting", I completely agree and am just happy that no mod had to mention it, s/t people feel patronized when a mod is coming up with certain issues - I don't mean anyone special, just a common observation :)

I'm sure that most of you are trying to estimate the challenge entries in a correct way, but s/t you can clearly tell that this is not the case. Sadly there's not much we can do about it, as Smokey and Fruitbat already mentioned.

Though I have a suggestion: in the LIMS everyone needs to comment on WHY he/she voted for a certain icon, why not adding this as a rule to all "normal" challenges, too? That way people have to think about their choice and perhaps judging on a more professional level and not only on their likings. Think and discuss about it, it's just a suggestion but it might work. :)

3. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I agree, Vera. It's something to try at the very least, because I've been noticing biased voting in the banner challenge as well as other challenges. I've noted that is someone makes an icon or banner of a lesser character they tend to not get a lot of votes compared to the votes for a main character. And this is why I like to do Lab Rat, Detectives, or different themes once and a while to switch things up.

It also makes me sad when people announce in their votes or congratulation posts that they know who made what. I really think the meaning of true anonymous competition has been lost over the course of generations. Though there really is no way to stop this from happening perhaps this thread might help.

Also a friend had a thought about a challenge idea, using one cap for the challenge and seeing what everyone did it with. How does this sound? WOuld anyone be willing to do this for a banner challenge?

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

This may sound a little bit snobbish (or something like that) but...

How much of people commenting on why they like a certain icon going to change they way others make icons? I hope that's understandable because it confuses me and I know what I'm trying to say. My first criteria is that it has to please me. I have to like it before I send it in. I went through most of the summer without winning even a recognition award but I make icons the same now as I did then. I'm not going to say - 'They voted for #7 for this reason and I should have done that.' just so that more people will vote for mine even though I didn't like that icon myself.

I think what I'm trying to point out is that everybody has different taste.

Susan

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

There is a difference between different taste and voting for a piece of art that is made my a friend or of a character of choice. Yes people will disagree, but to vote for someone's work just because they made it is unfair to the rest who also work hard.

I don't think commenting on why they chose the piece is going to change how others make their Fan Art, but to help understand why they are voting for that piece. It's more of a critique tool that is used in many art classes, not just for voting for icons, banners, and wallpapers.

And if someone wants to take the comments that another makes about a piece and apply it to their work, it's more than welcomed. No one is saying that people have to follow the comments that people could make about the specific artwork, it's a simple suggestion to try and solve and underlying problem.

6. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Hi. :) I don't enter a lot of challenges because of my crazy working schedule, but I do try to submit my work when I have time and vote when I remember (lol). I, too, have noticed the matter of biased voting and how it probably have discouraged people from entering challenges. I think stating reasons when voting is a great idea if people comment on the technique instead of writing something like "how can anyone not love *insert character/ship name*". People need to remember we're not having a popularity contest on characters/ships/shows here.

On the other hand, I think the fan artists need to think about why they enter the challenges. Do we simply want to win, or do we want to learn from others and improve our own skills? IMO challenges are just for fun, people shouldn't take the results too seriously (but of course, the fairer the results are, the better). The most important thing is that we see what people can do with a subject and get inspired while winning is a bonus. We should take the comments that people make about other fan artists' work because we want to improve, not because we want to win. :)

All in all, I think reminding people not to do biased voting and having them comment on the entries they vote for technique/skill-wise might be the best solution.

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I think one good thing to do is for the challenge runner to mix up the icons when they post them for voting. Sometimes I see groups of three that are very obviously from the same artist. I guess knowing they're all from the same artist isn't the same as knowing WHICH artist, but I still think it would be good for them to be mixed up a bit.

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Sometimes they can be mixed up and sometimes people have a similar idea, especially if they used the same tutorial. And as for mixing them up sometimes it's easier for the runner of a challenge to group them together. It gets very crazy when there are three categories and they have at least 10 entries, if not more. The ease for the runner has to be factored in as well since they are the ones who need to be on top of things.

9. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

I think that's a great idea! One of the things I like about provided caps is seeing what different people do with the same image. (Also, that helps me learn and improve my own technique when I see what someone else has done with the same cap that I've used.) This would just be narrowing the options a little further and making it more challenging. I'd definitely enter!

Just one suggestion, though. It might be best to use a large HQ promo pic for that, so that you can take different parts of the pic for your banner / icon. Some caps are a little limiting because of the quality.

As far as giving reasons goes, I think that some people would still write "because H is awesome!", and if it's enforced that it has to be technique, then you might be asking why people are not voting as well as why people are not entering. I'm sorry if I'm being pessimistic and cynical, but it seems like a lot of work putting into words why an icon really grabs you. Sometimes it's not an easy thing.

10. blackflag

11. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm curious to know why hardly anyone is entering the Sig. Banner Challenge. Any thoughts?

12. blackflag

I don't know if it goes with anyone else, but with me I consider banners the hardest to make. I can usually, fairly easily, find a way to make my ideas work with icons and wallpapers. But when I get an idea for a banner I'm frequently getting frustrated having to crop and resize multiple times just to get the right part of the cap in the banner. I've been know to give-up and wait until I think of something else to try. :(

Susan

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I'm the same way. Banners are difficult for me. I just can't get the hang of getting the sizing right. And yes, it gets frustrating when I can't make the cap I want to use work.

14. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

15. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I don't enter a lot of challenges only because I use photobucket for editing my pics and I can't compete with artists that use photoshop and such. Also I'm not a talented artist. I try and that's about it.

What I do find frustrating is that some theme runners keep changing the date. I know they want as many icons as possible BUT when I take the time out from my busy life to get the icons in on time it's annoying to see the date has been extended. Maybe you need to start with a more realistic date for everyone. If you keep changing the deadline then people will not take the time to get the icons in to begin with. Does it really matter that you only have 6 icons for the advanced level? Instead of allowing the usual 3 votes maybe alter the rules to allow 1 or 2 votes.