LOST # 2 ~ 'We Don't Wanna Be Rescued!'

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

A very abbreviated explanation:

Jack died at the end after he saved the island. Hurley (with the help of Ben) became the protector of the island. What happened on the island in the last 6 seasons was the 'real world', anyone who died during the course of the show was really dead. Anyone who made it off the island lived a life (that we never saw); and when they eventually died, they all met up in the church at the end to 'cross over' (a Ghost Whisperer term) into the light together.
    The sideways world became a purgatory-like place where the characters waited til they were all ready to go into the light. It was imaginary. Throughout the finale we were seeing the characters 'let go' and allow themselves to move on into the light; Jack appeared to be the last to do this, and it seemed they were waiting for him before they 'left'.
    I watched it again last night. I think I cried more since I feel like I understand it better. Although, I was still a little perplexed about Ben at the end. I guess he wasn't ready to let go and move on.

Still a lot of unanswered questions, but truly an awesome finale! And one that I think will just get better every time you watch it.

2. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Perfectly explained.....and I read that a lot of the unanswered questions will be answered on the season 6 blu-ray dvd.

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

One of the better summaries I've read. Thanks!

However, I still don't get the idea behind the island, what it really is and why does it need protecting? Who were Jacob and the smoke monster guy really, as protectors and what have you?

If everyone who made it off the island went on to live their lives, die normally and then meet up in the church to finally "cross over" (good thing they did that now, since the Ghost Whisperer was cancelled and she won't be able to help them later! :lol: ) then why didn't Jack and company get to do that when they made it home a few years back?

It seems like the more answers I get, the less I understand somehow. And I don't plan on buying a Blu-Ray, so I guess I'll never know! :p

4. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I wondered too why Ben was on the outside, literally, in the finale. It made me think that he might not be where the rest of them were in that happy place they made for themselves. Like maybe he wasn't allowed there. Like maybe...he went to hell instead.

5. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

My understanding was that he simply wasn't ready to go yet. Sort of like whatsherface and her son, the pianist/scientist guy. She didn't want to lose her son, and he hadn't connected with Charlotte yet, so they weren't ready to "cross over" yet.

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Thinking about Ben a little more, I wonder if he wasn't ready to go into the light because he didn't feel like he was worthy, yet. A lot of the storylines for the characters seemed to be about redemption. The candidates were picked by Jacob because they were flawed and had lost their way. It seemed that all the main characters redeemed themselves in some way, except maybe Ben. I don't think he had forgiven himself for his evil acts, killing Locke and Jacob and, especially, his daughter. At least Locke forgave him, so that helped him to some degree. I did feel sorry for him at the end.

With regard to the island and Jacob and MIB and what it all meant, I think you just have to suspend reality and go with the mythology and fantasy nature of the show. The island was just a metaphor for the classic battle of good vs. evil, with anti-heroes having to keep the evil contained so that the good would prevail; a little like Lord of the Rings on a much smaller scale, maybe. Jack and co. had to return to the island to fulfill their destiny of protecting the good, and thereby, redeeming themselves.

The story behind the island was the least explained when it all ended. But since it's all fantasy, you can make it up on your own. :lol:

7. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I stopped watching Lost after season 5.I lost interest for the show because they didn't reveal any secrets of the island which became pretty frustrating.What about season 6?Should I give it a try?Was it any good?

8. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

I just got the Lost series set for my birthday and I can't wait to rewatch every episode and get sucked in again.
    There's a featurette on the last disc with Ben and Hurley about what went on when they were #1 and 2 on the island. Very interesting.

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

There's a few big reveals in season six, but the season is more about emotional journeys with the characters. Series finale is very emotional, very character driven.

10. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

That's probably why I loved it so much. Sure they didn't really explain all the mysteries on the island but I found myself not really caring so much about that compared to seeing how the characters turned out and what exactly the sideways world was.

11. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

I am just glad at least they could finish it before getting more complicated.:p
    And if there is one thing i learned from Hollywood series it is you shouldn't mind the beginings and the finals a lot. What happens in the middle is more exciting . Probably that's why i didn't feel any big disappointment for the Lost final. Plus i don't know what else it could be: Is it better if the island dissappeared to the sky with all of them like a giant UFO? I don't think so...

Just in my humble opinion:angel:

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Hit and Run

I heard today theres talk from ABC of bringing back Lost.

Not sure I agree with bringing it back if thats the case.

Even though I thought it was disappointing and frustrating that they didn't explain more secrets of the island. I think the finale was just that - final.