Lindsey's Party

omg i could see myself doing that .. only my mom would be okay with the party thing my dad would be the one to shoot me and hes the workaholic if you ask for one dollar i am gonnna go bankrupt type ... anyhoo good story plz do continue!

wow! this is a freking wonderful story! I love the rebel lindsey.. but i hate to see Cath so frusturated! you write the charactures so great with so much description! I cant wait for another chapter! :D

*iz jealous* Uhm, thank goodness Greg would only give her some brotherly love. :lol: I agree with them, you write the whole family really well, and stay true to the character.
brilliant fic. i cant wait to read the next chapters.

Wow this is really good coolcatz I love it! It has one of the best characterizations I've read. It's just so brilliant I don't know where to start.. Ok stuff I love: all the g/c banter and hugging, fortune cookies, Cath going to Gil in her nightgown :D , Lindsey angst, Greggo, you even managed to include a butterfly in there somewhere. This is so cool!

ch 5

It was nearly noon before Lindsey and Catherine left the lab. The ride home had been in total silence. Once home Catherine had sent Lindsey to her room so that she could have a talk with Lily.

“Mom, you were supposed to be watching her.” Catherine followed her mother into the kitchen.

“When I went to sleep she had already been in bed for two hours.” Lily filled the coffee maker as she spoke.

“Didn’t you think it was unusual that she went to bed so early?” Catherine grabbed two cups from the cabinet.

“She said she wasn’t feeling well.” Lily sat down at the table.

“And I can guarantee you didn’t bother to check her.” She looked at the cabinet, saw spilt sugar and grabbed a towel to wipe it up.

“She said she didn’t have a fever, that her stomach was bothering her.” Lily reached for her cigarettes.

“Mom, do you have to do that in the house?” Lily pushed the cigarettes away and rolled her eyes at her daughter.

“Did she eat?” Catherine’s voice was a bit louder than previously.

“What?”

“Did she eat last night?”

“She had a bowl of ice cream before she went to bed.” Lily was not happy with the tone her daughter was using.

“Hello! If she was eating ice cream she’s not having a stomach ache.” The coffee maker signaled the coffee was ready. Catherine got up and poured two cups. “That’s the oldest trick in the book.” She sat both cups on the table and sat back down.

“This is not my fault.” Lily was already upset but now she was getting angry.

“Mother you were supposed to be watching her.” Catherine stirred creamer into her coffee.

“I called you as soon as I found out she wasn’t here this morning.”

“No you didn’t.”

“I called you several times. I left messages on your cell and at the lab. I called the police station and they put me back to the lab.”

“Sure. Don’t you think that if you had called the lab they would have paged me.”

“The receptionist transferred me to Mr. Ecklie. He told me Lindsey was there with you.”

“Ecklie?”

“He stayed on the phone with me for almost an hour. He’s a nice man.”

“You talked to Ecklie for an hour?

“I was scared.” Lily took a few sips of coffee hoping to swallow her anger.

“Sure you were.”

“That’s enough Catherine. I was scared. I was scared for you. I know what it’s like for my daughter to disappear. In spite of what you believe I wouldn’t want you to have to go through that kind of pain.”

“Great Mom, lay on the guilt trip.” Catherine took another drink of her coffe.

“You didn’t know she was gone until after she had been found. I spent three hours not knowing where she was. You didn’t even care enough to call me and tell me what was going on.” Lily’s voice was unusually low and quiet as she tried to control the emotions that threatened to break through.

“Mom.”

“Shut up. It’s my turn. I may not have been the best mother…”

“That’s the understatement of a lifetime.” Lily didn’t even acknowledge this.

“…but I did the best I could with what I was given. When you left I was worried and afraid. I didn’t hear from you for three years. Didn’t know if you were alive or dead. Every time the phone rang I didn’t know whether to run away or grab it.”

“Mom.”

“Catherine I do care. Maybe not the way you want me to, but I do care. All I could think about this morning was you having to go through the same thing. I would have sold my soul to keep you from having to experience that kind of pain.” Lily looked at her daughter, sighed, stood up and went to the sink with her cup. She turned on the water, rinsing the cup before placing it in the drain. She left her hands resting on the counter, refusing to face her daughter.

“I’m sorry Mom. I should have called you but all I could think about was Lindsey.”
Lily walked over to her daughter placing her arms on her shoulders.

“That’s the way it should be sweetie.” Catherine put her hand on her mother’s hand and squeezed it tightly.

“Mom I love you.”

“I know baby. Now go get some sleep.” She took Catherine’s cup from her, watching her as walked to her room. Lily then said a silent prayer of thanks for her granddaughter’s safe return.

Catherine awoke around 8:30 that evening. Her alarm had not gone off as scheduled. She only had an hour to get ready for work. She grabbed her house shoes and headed to the kitchen for a quick cup of coffee. Lindsey and Lily were sitting in the living room watching television. Lily looked up at her daughter, both of them speaking at the same time.

“Mom, why did you let me sleep so late?”

“Catherine, Mr. Grissom called. You’ve got the night off.”

“What? You first.” They both spoke at the same time again.

“Catherine, Mr. Grissom called. He told me you had the night off and to turn off your alarm so you could get some sleep.” Lindsey grimaced at the mention of Gil’s name. Catherine nodded in acknowledgement to her mother and went on into the kitchen for her coffee. Lily followed her in a few moments after.

“How are you feeling?”

“Exhausted. When did Gil call?” She had gotten another cup of coffee from the pot, it was stale so she poured it out. Then she emptied the pot and started a fresh pot.

“I guess it was around three this afternoon.”

“How long has Lindsey been awake?”

“She got up a sometime after four.” Catherine finished her coffee and grabbed a second cup before heading back to her room. She wanted a shower in the worst way. The water was as hot as she could stand it, maybe even a little too hot. It didn’t matter though. The feel of the hot water pulsated onto her tired body helping to release some of the tension from her muscles. She had turned the stereo on before getting into the shower, putting in the Eagles’ Greatest Hits because she wanted something mellow and relaxing. By the time the last of the hot water was gone the album had played through twice.

With her hair wrapped in a towel and a fresh pair of pj’s on she strolled back into the living room. The scene she saw was almost a duplicate of the one when she woke up. Almost. There was one big difference. Lindsey was no longer in the room with her mother. Instead she saw Gil sitting on the sofa deep in conversation with Lily. She turned to go back to her bedroom and grab a robe but they’d already seen her.

“Catherine.” Gil looked at her, skin still damp, hair rolled up in a towel wearing yoga pants and a tank top. She looked better than most women did when fully dressed.

“Gil, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at the lab?” She grabbed the comforter from the recliner wrapping it around her as she sat down.

“I took the night off.” Looking at her rolled up in the comforter he thought she seemed so small, so fragile. Her eyebrow lifted in a silent question. “I thought you might need my support.”

“Maybe I do.” She smiled at him as she answered.

“I don’t think this is a problem we can take care of in 15 seconds though.” He hoped she would remember their conversation from years ago.

“Neither do I.” Catherine recalled the sight of him waiting for her outside the morgue when she had to collect scrapings from Holly’s nails.

Lily looked from one to the other realizing she was missing a large part of the conversation. If she didn’t know better she would have thought there was more to their relationship than just friendship. She now understood why Eddie had been so sure there was something going on between the two of them.

“Are you sending her to school tomorrow?”

“Yes. I would have sent her today but…”

“…you didn’t leave early enough. You would have to have left to pick her up as soon as you got home.”

“Right.”

“Have you decided what you are going to do yet?”

“No, honestly I haven’t even talked to her about what happened yet.”

“She’s still awake if you’re ready.” Catherine just sat there. She was still angry, not as angry as she was last night but still angry.

“Putting it off isn’t going to make it any easier.” He was speaking the truth.

“I know.” She stood up and walked to her daughter’s room, knocking on the door before opening it.

“Can I come in?” There was no answer so she pushed the door on open and flipped the light on. Lindsey’s bed was unmade, her computer was on and clothes were strewn about the room. Lindsey however was not there. Catherine went to her bathroom door.

“Lindsey, you in there?” There was no answer. She opened the door and saw the bathroom was empty. She turned around looking back into her daughter’s room. This time she noticed the open window.

“Mom! Mom! Gil! She’s gone.” Catherine stood frozen where she was. Lily and Gil were there in an instant.

“She’s gone. She’s run away.” Catherine pointed towards the window. Lily stood there looking at her daughter knowing exactly what she was feeling. Gil flew out of the house searching for Lindsey. He ran around the back of the house, finding a ladder under her window. Looking around he saw there were two sets of footprints, one much smaller than the other. He followed them to the other side of the house and down the driveway. He walked to the edge of the driveway and looked up and down the street. There was a small car about four houses down that had not been there when he arrived. He walked slowly toward the car, not wanting to alert its passengers to his approach. He could hear the music blaring from the stereo before he got to the car.

He ripped open the driver’s door and pulled the driver out by his neck before slamming it shut. He slammed the driver against the car and grabbed his phone.

“Brass. I need you in an unmarked at Catherine’s now.” He slammed the phone back in his pocket before speaking to the driver.

“I don’t know who the hell you are and I really don’t care.” Lindsey had gotten out of the passenger side and was yelling at Gil.

“What are you doing to him? Stop it!” Lindsey was pulling at Gil’s arm trying to break his grip on Barry.

“Lindsey Willows you get back in that car right now.” Gil didn’t budge.

“Let him go.”

“Lindsey. Car. Now!” It was the same tone he had used with her in the break room and it made Lindsey move her butt back to the passenger’s seat. Gil pulled Barry around to the trunk.

“You and I are going to have a little talk. Then you are taking a trip to the police department.”

Tsk, tsk. Linds is stubborn. ;)
But I love love how you wrote Lily here, you let us see her motherly loving side, cuz on Weeping Willows we saw her as a nagging mom. And you even included the Holly Gribbs scene they had in Season 1, you really know your Gil and Catherine really well..er as well as the whole family.

this is awesome! Gris should try and use that tone on Cath a little more often when she is a little too stubborn! You write these charactures really perfect! I love how you can relate Gris and Cath to things form almost forever ago! Keep it up! I cant wait for more! :D

I love it I just got caught up in reading it Linds is just like Cath Update plz :) :)

well, finally updated this....

Lindsey sat in the car, furious with Gil for embarrassing her in front of Barry. Her thirteen-year-old mind pictured him as an annoying wasp in a cartoon, which she promptly squashed with an oversized flyswatter. If she could have seen herself, she would have seen a wide-eyed blonde girl with smoke fuming from both ears.

She watched Gil and Barry through the rear view mirror. Gil was really letting Barry have it. She’d never seen Barry so scared. It was so not cool for him to be afraid of Gil. He was in a band. He smoked. He drank. He skipped class. When he was in class, he told off teachers. So why was he acting like such a loser in front of Gil? Gil, who spent his life playing with nasty bugs.

“Whatever.” It was her verbal protest to the world. She continued watching them and her cartoon fantasy returned. The next scene was of Barry morphing into a giant baseball bat with Gil as a screaming baseball hurling towards him at warp speed. Barry pulls back and swings just at the right moment, knocking Gil not just out of the park but out of the country deep into the Pacific Ocean only to be eaten by some dufus whale and never heard from again.

Outside the realm of her imagination, she watched as Barry’s shoulders hung low. Why wasn’t he taking up for himself? Better still, why wasn’t he taking up for her?

Her mind wandered back to the cartoon in her head. She watched as her hottie morphed into a zoot-suited cat and she his cat girl. They were in a swing club, Barry playing his guitar. Gil came running into the club as a weasel cop ready to bust everyone in the joint. Lindsey the cat wasn’t afraid. She knew her zoot-suited paramour would rescue her. She turned to look at Barry only to see him quickly box his guitar and exit the building through the Barry-shaped hole in the wall created by his body. She could have followed him but she didn’t. Right before he had disappeared through the hole in the wall, he had grabbed Susie the Siamese, wrapping his free arm tightly around her waist and carrying her away with him.

“Jerk.” She looked around the club. It was completely empty expect for her and Weasel Gil, only he wasn’t a weasel any longer. He was a wise old owl. And he wasn’t angry with her. He was angry with that tomcat who had left her there by herself.

“Well that sucks.” Lindsey was amazed at her inability to picture herself being rescued by Barry. Why would he do that? He was supposed to love her. She was special, that’s what he told her. That’s why he was with her instead of some high school girl. He was seventeen so why would he be with her if he didn’t love her unless he was just using her? But Barry wasn’t like that. He was like her father, Eddie.

Then she recalled all the times she’d seen her mom and dad fighting, the times when Eddie had brought home a new girlfriend. And she remembered the last one, the one who had left her in the car to die. The woman was only interested in her father because he promised her a music career. And how her father only kept her around because she would do anything he asked her to do. And she remembered how much she hated that woman for using her father like that. She never cared about Eddie; she only cared about what Eddie could do for her. And she had never cared about her. That’s why she left them both to die in the car.

In that instant, Lindsey understood. She understood. She understood something many women spend a lifetime trying to understand. She understood she deserved someone who would treat her well, who didn’t want her just because he could manipulate or control her. She understood she deserved better than being in a one-sided relationship where she was the only one truly interested in the other person. With this understanding came an incredible rush of adrenaline and the desire to let Barry know just what she thought of him. She slammed open her door, morphing into a miniature version of her mother as she jumped out. She ran around the back of the car towards Barry, completely ignoring Gil’s order to get back in the car.

She grabbed Barry by the collar, opening her mouth to give him a piece of her mind but the only sound that came out was her sobbing. Even with her new understanding, she was still a thirteen-year-old girl who was hurting. She didn’t have the life experience necessary to do anything else. She felt Gil’s arms pulling her away from Barry, guiding her to the sidewalk. He sat down beside her, pulling her head to his shoulder in an effort to comfort her broken heart as best he could.

Brass arrived shortly after and Gil explained the situation to him. Brass hauled Barry off to the Police Department. Both men knew there was nothing he could be charged with, but they did have enough to haul him down to the jail and scare him.

Back