Learning spanish

Hey y'all!!! Well basically, I grew up with 8 different languages...I have a huge family from all continents and possibly every country that exist, not sure about Antarctica, though.

I'm quite fluent in each and Spanish happens to be one of them!

Currently, I'm taking Spanish courses in my high school <---easy "A" for me...HAHA!!!...At least I will be when school starts in a couple of days.

I'm also continuing to learn other languages, but if you need any help in Spanish, I'm here...well, I'll try to be here whenever I can.

Laters...

Luv yall...

CookiMonstasBabe said:
oooh hey there! Im taking Spanish GCSE In a few years so could use help or offer it! I cant talk fast though :)

What is that? Some kind of exam for advanced Spanish? If you need anything ask. My english is not very good, but I was an editor and journalist here in Spain.

The GCSE is the General Certificate of Secondary Education...I believe it's some qualifications for students in Britain. I'm not quite sure though, as I'm here in the U.S, but it's been mentioned in school discussions awhile ago (Which curriculum's qualifications are more efficient: U.S. or U.K.? <--- tough debate)

Laters...

Luv yall...

Learning Spanish? That's cool! I had it in scholl for 3 years and actually I was very good, but now that I'm out of school I have forgotten so much... I really like this language. Quiero este idioma. (Es correcto?) ;)
Buena noche a todos!

That would be more like: Amo este idioma or me gusta este idioma. We also have (and use) the sign to open the interrogation form (¿).

And it would be Buenas noches a todos in plural.

SandleDL said:
Learning Spanish? That's cool! I had it in scholl for 3 years and actually I was very good, but now that I'm out of school I have forgotten so much... I really like this language. Quiero este idioma. (Es correcto?) ;)
Buena noche a todos!
Spanish has different variations, depending on what area you are in.

Your sentence, I really like this language, can be translated to Quiero este idioma. However, this is unlikely, due to the fact that quiero is usually used as the first-person conjugation of the verb querer, meaning to want.

With that said, quiero translates to I want.

Me gusta is the most likely used form when saying you like something, in the first-person form.

The word language can also vary. Some places use the word idioma, while others use lengua.

Spanish greetings for "Good morning/afternoon/evening" does not vary by number (singular or plural), I believe. The only difference in each of the three gretting is the ending.

"Good morning," would translate to, "Buenos dias." While "Good afternoon," would translate to, "Buenas tardes," and "Good evening," would translate to, "Buenas noches."

Notice that the ending differs: -os and -as.

In some places, "Buenos dias," is shortened to "Buen dia."

Laters...

Luv yall...

fadingintherain said:
Hey y'all!!! Well basically, I grew up with 8 different languages...I have a huge family from all continents and possibly every country that exist, not sure about Antarctica, though.

I'm quite fluent in each and Spanish happens to be one of them!
Wow, that's so cool! ;) I really mean it, or wouldn't I be someone who loves to hear and know about languages. Having known people in a lot of places must be nice :) If you don't mind me asking, and just out of curioisty, which languages to you speak (you may answer by PM if you wish, so we wont go out of topic)

Anyway, going back on topic, with this quiero thing, I know you exaplained it can mean to like, but that it is unlikely to happen in that sentence. Now my little question comes from the fact that I have always heard Te quiero mucho (please correct the spelling mistakes, I never learnt spanish, all i have ever do was hear it), and I have the feeling that it means "I like you very much" or "I love you" or something like that. Is it right? If so, do you also use me gusta for this? Or not in the particular expression? Does it have differences in meaning? Hope it was not too confusing.

Oh, and I have another question. How do you say "pregnant" in spanish. Well, I actually happen to know how you say it, just not how to write it :p

Our Spanish teacher taught us Te quiero means I want you and we couldn't say it until we were 40. It was really funny.

I need to start taking tougher oral exams, so I need to roll my R's. Is there anyway I can train myself to do that?

Pronunciation f R? hehe...

In the south of Spain we 'eat' the final R. Is different even from town to town.

When I was little our teacher told us to practise imitating the sound of a motorbike (ok, I was 4, what do you expected? ;))

Sometimes, when I have to do radio advertises or put voices in vieeos and have problems with some words i use to repeat the word nonstop until it sounds right. (Say 'infraestructuras' right is hard even for me.) You should try something easy like 'Raton' or 'alarma' as examples for a strong 'r' and a soft one.

And about "te quiero" is more like "I love you" said from a person to a person, but the verb "querer" also means "want".

Yea in some Spanish countries they don't really rol the R. For example in Puerto Rico I don't know why but the majority of the people they have trouble rolling the R so it's usually as if the R isn't there.

mandy9578 said:
Since we are of Spanish descent, our English is sometimes infused with Spanish terms and we use Spanish swear words. :lol:

For me is exactly the opposite...my 1st language is Spanish but most of the time I swear in English. :lol:

I like this thread...i'll try to help although I have Spanish so incorporated that I find it hard to explain it in a clear way.

i had such a hard time in Spanish because the teacher wouldn't stick to one variation! i know some spanish, but i avoid speaking it as much as i can.

i remember 1 thing i found helpful in spanish class. heres the poem:

"How You Feel and Where You Are,
Always Use the Verb Estar"

Back