La Rue To Miss Multiple Episodes Of 'Miami'

This actually happened before. Remember when Natalia disappeared for at least three episodes when Jesse was there. They just did it without an announcement. Maybe now that Eva has twitter, we are now officially aware of it. She was a little overexposed last season when she took up the slack for Emily. So it's not like she hasn't had her moment in the spotlight. I don't buy the budget cut reason (as if her salary would make a dent in anything). I think CBS wants to reinvigorate Emily's role. I wouldn't read too much into this.

Last edited:
^^
There were periods of disappearing before Jesse,that also happened in season 7.
I think CBS wants to reinvigorate Emily's role. I wouldn't read too much into this.
And this can only be done if Eva isn't there ? If that's the only way another actor's role can be reinvigorated that's pretty sad.What does it say about that character that it needs a boost by diminishing another character to that degree.

^^
I think CBS wants to reinvigorate Emily's role. I wouldn't read too much into this.
And this can only be done if Eva isn't there ? If that's the only way another actor's role can be reinvigorated that's pretty sad.What does it say about that character that it needs a boost by diminishing another character to that degree.

Agreed. It's an ensemble cast and if they can't balance that without making people go MIA for three episodes they have problems.

Well that is the excuse CBS made for letting Eddie Cibrian go--too many characters to develop properly. I am saying that maybe they want to focus more on Emily this season.

Well that is the excuse CBS made for letting Eddie Cibrian go--too many characters to develop properly. I am saying that maybe they want to focus more on Emily this season.

One situation, being written out of or missing episodes ,should have nothing to do with focusing on another character.
If CBS thinks there are too many characters to develop properly,they need to stop focusing on the same ones and the same stories ,that's not getting the other characters developed.Granted Emily's character wasn't focused on last season,but she has had plenty of focus up until then and quite frankly there are other characters that could stand a little more focus.It seems as if there is a preference to develop some characters more so over others rather than too many characters.Where ever the focus is headed for this season,I hope we don't see a return to season 7.It would be a shame to have Eva missing episodes to have a return to another dreaded season with the focus being the same .

Last edited:
I really don't think it has anything to do with wanting to focus more on Calleigh. They had a lot of focus on Calleigh other seasons without having to write Natalia out, so I don't see why they'd need to write Natalia out this season in order to focus more on Calleigh. If they can focus on her in past seasons without writing Natalia out than they can do it this season without writing Natalia out.

I thought they said there were budget reasons for letting Eddie go though? I think it was that they wanted to bring Adam back and felt it would be too costly to have both of them plus the rest of the cast. Which given the economy issues the last couple of years, might be a valid claim.

I just don't buy that budget reasons are why they're writing a character out for three episodes. It sounds dumb to me that writing a character out for only a few episodes could help with budget issues. That just doesn't make much sense to me.

Unfortunately,Eva(Natalia) was not present in some episodes in previous seasons.
This time however,Eva seemed very disappointed,it seemed unexpected

Last edited:
I think it all boils down to the actor's contract. I'm sure Caruso's contract states he is in every episode, and maybe Adam's as well. That way they are guaranteed a certain compensation. Emily's was probably written around her maternity/family issues. Then CBS negotiated contracts for the rest of the cast within a budget. Maybe the actors were offered less money for more episodes, but chose to make more money for less episodes, thereby working less. Wouldn't you? The show's budget IS an issue; it's happened in all the CSI's, and probably happens in all long running shows. The only other alternative is to let the actors go if the studio can't afford them. At least this keeps them around.
It's always about money. The network contract negotiators have to work within a budget. If the government would only do the same!!!!

I think it all boils down to the actor's contract. I'm sure Caruso's contract states he is in every episode, and maybe Adam's as well. That way they are guaranteed a certain compensation. Emily's was probably written around her maternity/family issues. Then CBS negotiated contracts for the rest of the cast within a budget. Maybe the actors were offered less money for more episodes, but chose to make more money for less episodes, thereby working less. Wouldn't you? The show's budget IS an issue; it's happened in all the CSI's, and probably happens in all long running shows. The only other alternative is to let the actors go if the studio can't afford them. At least this keeps them around.
It's always about money. The network contract negotiators have to work within a budget. If the government would only do the same!!!!

I agree. I'm still very angry about this because IMO I do think there is surely other ways to shave funds, but I imagine it has alot to do with whatever is in "fine lines" in Eva's contract that's allowing CBS to randomly & unexpectedly pull her from episodes without having to break any contracts (hers or any of the other actors who might have a less "flexible" contract).

Yes there are budget issues all over, I do believe that. However, I think most of us are just baffled as to how pulling her from 3 episodes is going to benefit their budgets -- it isn't like Eva is making a buttload per episode (in comparison to some other actors anyway).

That said, we don't know if they've shaved funds outside of the main cast as well -- 200 or so crew members & countless other things they have to fund to produce the show -- we don't know what goes on there money-wise & probably never will.

Whatever the reason, I still don't like this situation at all - it's the main stars/characters that keep viewers watching. CBS shouldn't mess around with that.

There are a ton of things I see on this show that I always think 'wow, what a waste of money' -- like how they wet down the pavement with those large vehicles to shoot every single exterior scene. Is it that important? No! Maybe it isn't a huge expence for them, but still ...if it isn't really that necessary then get rid of it. Maybe if they'd learn to spend thier money better they wouldn't have this problem!

Poor Emily got slack for something that probably has nothing to do with her ;) I don't buy budget reasons, because it seems that with every episode of CSI M there is more and more special effects that surely cost a lot of money. Plus, Eva is the only other female apart from Emily, who by the way was hardly present in the last episode(yet that still didn't bring Eva in the spotlight).
What I am worried is - CSI shows have way less respect for female actresses than male, most painful one for me being writing Wendy from CSI out for absolutely no reason.
And - most of the female actresses in CSI M come and go, I didn't read any spoilers regarding 'new love' for Horatio in current season. Also there is supposed to be a new actress in recurring role(didn't remember her name). Why invest in new characters if people like regular cast and still know nothing about them?

Plus, Eva is the only other female apart from Emily, who by the way was hardly present in the last episode(yet that still didn't bring Eva in the spotlight).
Eva or Emily for that matter isn't or shouldn't be expected to be in the spotlight every episode.That needs to vary among the entire cast.Less time for either one of them doesn't necessarily(nor should it) translate into more time for the other.
Yes there are budget issues all over, I do believe that. However, I think most of us are just baffled as to how pulling her from 3 episodes is going to benefit their budgets -- it isn't like Eva is making a buttload per episode (in comparison to some other actors anyway).
That's a question I have as well,how beneficial in the long run is 3 episodes going to have on the budget.

Last edited:
The 'Blown Away' episode sure blew away more budget many things added together.

Whatever the reasons/excuses, this is still BS.

What the hell is a 'crest toothpaste event' is? Is that even REAL?
pinkdizzyconfused.gif

Whatever the problem, it always comes down to M-O-N-E-Y. :rolleyes:

Back